Liked: 0

I just wanted to put a shout out to a few drivers I had a great time racing with @ R.A. last weekend. First, I need to thank Lindstrand Motorsports for giving me a great car. As they always do. Next, I need to thank all the people who belive in me and sponsored me in more ways than I can list. To T.Tipsword, he and I have been racing close for a few seasons now. He is fast and clean and I'll go deep and wheel to wheel with him anytime. A shout to Rick, that was a nasty thing to see I am so glad you are unhurt and we will dice some more so I hope. Rick also is a fine driver, a pleasure to race with. Hey Wes, I had a blast running with ya! Where did that ADF come from? cool car, lead foot. Hey Bill B. always nice to hang with ya. A big hello and thanks to all the EWC drivers a cool event (Thanks Steve), Bruce's teck talk was a nice addition to the weekend. We should keep that sort of stuff up. see ya @ Mid -O.

Contributing Member Tom Tipsword's Avatar
    Liked: 0

Short version:
    Saturday-FF
    1st-Jim Roberts
    2nd-Bill Luxon
    3rd-Mark Kolell
    4th-Dan Faust
    5th-John Luxon
    6th-Tom Braun
    7th-Mike Maienza
    8th-Bill Bergeron
    9th-Tim Koch
    10th-Anders Graff

CFF
    1st-Marc Blanc
    2nd-Mike Weyna
    3rd-Tom Tipsword
    4th-Joe Marcinski
    5th-Bruce Drenth
    6th-Rich Iverson

Sunday-FF
    1st-Bill Luxon
    2nd-Mark Kolell
    3rd-Dan Faust
    4th-Tony Foster
    5th-Mike Maienza
    6th-John Luxon
    7th-Tim Koch
    8th-Bill Bergeron

CFF
    1st-Marc Blanc
    2nd-Mike Weyna
    3rd-Tom Tipsword
    4th-Wes Allen
    5th-Joe Marcinski
    6th-Kevin Krauss
    7th-Bruce Drenth
    8th-Rich Iverson

Beautiful weather, beautiful cars-you should see Wes Allen's Merlyn or Joe Marcinski's ADF-fantastic!-Absolutely great racing all through the field of 25+ cars. A great weekend. Thanks, Steve Beeler and thanks to everyone else that attended.

Liked: 42

a longer version:

Fantastic weekend of racing once again in Steve Beeler's East/West FF CFF Challenge.

Qualifying 8:00 am was in great conditions, mid 70's and bright sun. The FF pole was taken by Jim Roberts, at a 2:28.3, the only car in the 20's ahead of 13 other FF's, including Bill Luxon's Piper on the outside front row. I was lucky enough to go real quick, after waiting quite a while to get some heat in the HOOSIER R60's. I took the CFF pole at 2:34.2 followed by Mike Weyna, and 9 other CFF's, for a total entry of 26 cars.

By race time at 12:30, it was real hot, and feeling like it was getting humid. I think some people were late to the grid, when I got there, they gave 5 mins, and I was the first one there. Very slow pace lap, waiting for late comers to catch up, green flag with a moderate speed start, great start by John Vlasis in the Piper coming up through the middle. The front 6-7 FF's were mixing it up pretty good, as I lost several spots, including a spot to John Luxon in T5, John went on to spin in T6, somehow I avoided, sliding around the back side of him, as I had a fleeting thought "geeez, lots of cars close behind me", well as everybody avoided Luxon spinning, Rick Roellig in his CFF Tiga hit a FF, launching the front, and then the back wheels into the air, sending the car inverted, approx 6-10' up. This was told to me by Wes Allen, who thought he was going to be driving under Rick, but then took to the grass to avoid, even though I guess there was plenty of clearance underneath. Apparently the car damaged the roll bar after landing squarely on it, and it slid down the track, and I don't think anyone else was involved, except the guy that Rick hit.

I know every one is glad that you're OK Rick. Most of us got to see you being flipped back over in the car, seemed that they had it right at 90 deg. while we came by on the first of two full course caution laps. From what I could tell, good quick cleanup work, since second time by, everything was gone. Thanks workers and safety crew. The single file restart went well, except for one guy who was anxious, but I'll let him tell that story if he wants.

Jim Roberts and Bill Luxon swapped positions many times for the lead, and Bill led into T14 last lap, drafted by Roberts who bipped him at the line by 0.033 seconds. Great racing guys!! Third and 4th in FF was Mark Kolell and Dan Faust. Because of the restart I had given up my FF cushion between the FF's and CFF's, and was chased by Bill Ehrlinger for a while, who unfortunately saw an engine failure. Mike Weyna finished second, followed by Tom Tipsword and that sharp ADF of Joe Marcinski.

Saturday nite a bunch of us enjoyed being enlightened by the Lindstrands on the finer art of reading and using tires temps, and other such wisdom. Thanks Bruce, it was a nice discussion, still think you should have served beer though! The crowd would've been bigger, but we'd probably still be there! Guess it was a good program, as there were even "gasp" NON EWC - NON FF/CFF drivers there. Guess they wanted in on the secrets of speed.

Sunday results to follow:

[size="1"][ August 20, 2003, 10:39 PM: Message edited by: mblanc ][/size]
    FFCoalition.com
    Marc Blanc

Liked: 42

Correction to Saturday's results Rick Roellig was 2nd in CFF Q, not Weyna followed by Wes Allen and Tom Tipsword.

Sunday's weather was exactly the same, getting warm quick at 8:00 am. The track seemed to have much more grip early, as both pole setters were quicker than the day before Q times. John Vlasis at 2:29.5 and Bill Luxon 2:30.7 made for an all Piper front row. My CFF pole of 2:33.7 was 1/2 sec faster, but the rest of the CFF guys made bigger improvements, Weyna improving his Qtime by 10 seconds to Q 2nd, and Joe Marcinski doing a good job by improving by 3+ secs to Q 3rd. Joe told me last time he ran RoadAmerica was '77? That's understandable since he towed the ADF all the way from Branford Connecticut just to race in the EWC!

I don't think anybody was late for the race on Sunday. Vlasis and Bill Luxon battled through first several corners, as I held off attempts from John Luxon and other FF's from behind. I Got a jump leaving T3, and drafted Mark Kolell into T5, he took me deep, battled back on outside and took T6 ahead. At end of lap one, it was Luxon/Vlasis trading spots, Kolell and me, with a big gap back to John Luxon and the rest. At that point I got to watch the B.Luxon/Vlasis battle heat up, as the headed off in the distance, and eventually I couldn't see them anymore, then I was dropped by Kolell. Things stayed like that until near the end. At about two to go, I was caught by a freight train of Dan Faust, Tony Foster, and Michael Maienza. I hated to give up the overall positions, but I sure didn't need to be in the middle of your battles, nor get caught up in it, so I let the train by after T6. They exchanged a few spots in the last two laps, and I ran my fastest lap watching this battle to the checker. John Vlasis unfortunately fell out of 1st or 2nd at T14, with two laps to go, with a broken carburetor float. I heard it was a real good battle between them until them, and wasn't decided until that point, as Bill Luxon went on to win. Congrats Bill, and sorry John. Hope you're using up all your bad luck on the way to the sprints. Mark Kollel finished FF in an unchallenged 2nd, and Dan Faust came out on top of the 3 way to finish 3rd. In CFF Micheal Weyna and Tom Tipsword finished 2/3 again, and Wes Allen finished 4th. Glad Bruce K. was able to help you with the head gasket and other parts.

Thanks Steve Beeler from the entire group. As you always say, "we all win when car counts are up" and it sure was a lot of fun. Especially for the guys that pitted in the "reserved area" that's so nice when everybody is on the same schedule, and you don't have to walk far to see your old friends, and meet some new ones.

Thanks to HOOSIER TIRE also, their support is invalueable to the series, along with all the other sponsors.

If you've missed out so far, theres only one chance left to see the East/West FF CFF Challenge yet in 2003. Make your plans now for the EWC's first trip to Mid-Ohio in September. Hope to see all of the regulars there, along with a bunch of new friends.

Be there, or race a smaller field in a lesser race.

Marc Blanc

[size="1"][ August 20, 2003, 10:45 PM: Message edited by: mblanc ][/size]
    FFCoalition.com
    Marc Blanc

Liked: 280

I would like to add my thanks to Steve Beeler and all the EWC Formula Ford competitors. Last weekend was the most fun I have had in a race car in quite a while. Mike Weyna, Tom Tipsword, Wes Allen and I had great race for second place on Sunday. Marc Blanc was long gone, but the four of us contested every braking zone for 48 miles. It was absolutely worth the tow out from Connecticut. I have not been to Road America since the Sprints in 1976 and I am sorry that I waited so long to go back.

Mike, Tom, and Wes were a genuine pleasure to race with as we all gave each other room (though not much!) and kept each other out of trouble. I am afraid I was pretty easy pickings in a straight line, but there is a motor on the way to Schulz Automotive Machine and I am confident that Bruce will be able to sort that little problem out.

When I got back home, I was asked how it went. My reply was that "in the last four races I have a win, two fourths and a fifth. That fifth place on Sunday was by far the most fun and most satisfying of the bunch". Thank you again for a thoroughly enjoyable weekend and I will be back next year!

Oh yeah, why don't you guys come down to Road Atlanta in November and do the ARRC? You would enjoy racing with the guys in the South East and a big field would make it that much more fun.

Thread Information