Liked: 95

Default Belts SFI vs FIA vs etc

In light of several hospital visits @ COTA and not finding alot of recent threads I ask a question.

What is the diference(s) in belts between the various choices we have. Belt stretch difference partcularily.
    Is the testing different. I imagine it is.
    From a consumer point of view what am I buying- or better yet upgrading to by getting FIA?
    I would love to have manufacturers offer factual info here rather than just opinions which sometimes are not productive in making decisions which can effect us all. I have other questions too. I know belt stretch is a surprising amount from personal "testing". Another question when they are rewebbed:-to what spec. I know the stitching is different but what else?
    I did look at past threads and did not find much in the way of specifics. For the sake of me and maybe others I am not much interested in the "sales pitch" why yours is better just some facts.
    JIM (2006 GLC CFC Champion)

Liked: 123

I'm not up to date with what current spec's may be, but the FIA spec for belts is searchable on their web site. FIA certifies a manufacturer's product then the manufacturer can make product against that certification. SFI is a manufacturer association, and manufacturer's self-certify, from what I understand. There are definitely differences in spec, FIA belts are usually made from a heavier, stiffer material and I feel the hardware is a big jump better than SFI but then I am really only intimately familiar with Willans belts. FIA belts are certified by FIA for 5 years while SFI belts are only certified for 2 years.

Personally, I have only used Willans belts for probably 20 years. No interest in any other brand or in SFI belts at all. The SFI belts I've taken out of cars and tossed didn't impress me much. With the cost of a set of the best belts probably less than my fuel bill to get to a race, it's just not a question that I ask myself.

Brian

Banned
    Liked: 1116

Banned
    Liked: 1116

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    SFI is a manufacturer association, and manufacturer's self-certify, from what I understand. There are definitely differences in spec
    Even looking beyond the "self-certify" aspect of things, look at the representitive sample sizes required, how "used" the test samples are and the procedures should a sample fail.

I'd like to know if the G-Force or Simpson FIA models are made in the USA with USA sourced components? Anybody know of any FIA certified made in USA harnesses?

Thread Information