Liked: 61

Default Is Replay a real company?

Started to race again after a brief twenty year layoff. I thought it would be helpful to have video to enhance my 'relearning' experience. After reviewing opinions on Apex it seemed the way to go was Replay.

Did a test day at PPIR last Friday and then a Double Driver's School. The camera was attached and monitored by the race shop I use, Front Range Motorsports of Denver. Excellent bunch by the way. We ran 110 laps of testing on Friday (the upcoming Major will run the course backwards FYI) and when we went to turn the camera on Saturday it wouldn't boot. Nothing we tried would work. Apparently the battery or worse, it checked out.

Upon contacting Replay the very next day, Monday I was impressed with their online form for customer service. Explained the issue and then...nothing for two days. Finally, they asked me to reset the camera. Even though it was dead. So, as per their simple instructions it was attempted. No luck. Reported back to Replay that day, Wednesday, but have never heard back.

As someone who has started direct selling companies and now own an internet selling firm I can you tell this is the kiss of death for a direct seller. Why would you ignore a customer? Other issues are at play like lack of funding or worse, management by knuckleheads.

If anyone has any suggestions it would be greatly appreciated. No amount of trying to communicate with Replay is worth a bucket of wet spit. Buy another? Get a Go Pro? No ideas at this point.

I'm left with the feeling that Replay is two guys running a startup out of their Mom's basement with a Windows '98 box.

Bob
    '93 VD FF

Liked: 1120

My first Replay XD720 croaked about 18 minutes into its first session getting vibrated by a Kent engine. I know when because that's when it corrupted the video file and shut off. The battery contacts must have shaken loose because it wouldn't turn on again unless connected to outside power.

Explained it all to them. Yes, the response was slow but what came was an RMA number and a week later I had a new one. It also glitched the first session yesterday, making me think I'd have to settle for a helmet cam, but I tried again with a fresh charge and got two full sessions without a problem. Surprisingly good video quality:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EeCiR-Ym7bo

By contrast, the GoPro is really too big for helmet mount and my brother went through several before getting one that would tolerate mount on a Kent-powered chassis. By the time I got various problems on mine sorted out with the GoPro customer service run-around my warranty had expired so I sold it on eBay with a warning it's good for skiing but not Formula Ford. I got enough $ to pay for the XD720 which is certainly a tidier package.
    Last edited by TimH; 04.07.13 at 5:49 PM.
    Caldwell D9B - Sold
    Crossle' 30/32/45 Mongrel - Sold
    RF94 Monoshock - here goes nothin'

Liked: 112

Default Is Replay a real company?

They are indeed a real company. I've actually had very good luck with meeting them directly at the track.

Did you by chance plug the camera into a generator power source to charge it?

That killed my first replay XD as it also killed a Sony camera that I had.

You may have received an older camera as well. Their initial batch of cameras did have problems with power sources causing failure although in the past several months that is changed. Still I won't charge anything electronic off of a generator power source unless it's an inverter type

No, didn't use a generator we used the track's garage source. It's clear it isn't accepting a charge.

It's the complete lack of professionalism that gets to me. No contact information (that I can find) and no commitment to answer email. I could have sent a letter via the mail and gotten this far. I don't liking bitching, I like to resolve issues and move on to more important concerns.

Any ideas out there on contacting Replay from anyone's experiences would be welcome. Maybe a dealer has some technical contacts?

Bob Melvin

Liked: 20

Did you reset the camera for 30 sec or just push the button in for a sec? Do 30 sec reset and try to charge it again. After that if it boots update to the latest firmware.

Your camera may have been put into engineering mode which is easily done if the camera is off and you put it in a bag and the record button was accidentally push for a few sec.

What type of mount are you using?

Just about everyone with a FF or FC kent or pinto has problems. Just about all cameras have problems with these cars depending on the mounting.
    Mark Filip

Contributing Member Nicholas Belling's Avatar
    Liked: 1

Default My feedback

I have had zero issues with replay XD service or support.

I have had about 12 cameras and needed one or 2 fixed or resolved when they first produced the hd1080 model.. but they have always been helpful and responsive.

they have a phone number listed on their website that is answered by humans when you call it !!

http://replayxd.com/contact/
    Nicholas Belling
    email@nicholasbelling.com
    Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Contributing Member Nicholas Belling's Avatar
    Liked: 1

Default Bob,

After I read your post I contacted my contact at Replay XD.

His name is Jesse Vargas. I sent him a link to this thread.

He said

Hey Nicholas,
    We will absolutely take are of him. We are all out of the office at a trade show right now. As you may know we are a very small team so when an event comes up like this, we all have to leave. We do not have an account or anything on that forum, but perhaps you can relay that information on there for now.

We appreciate you looking out for us!

Thank you,
    Jesse Vargas
    Replay XD

Jesse direct email contact at the company is jvargas@replayxd.com shot him an email.

I have as well given him your email address.

Hope this helps sort out the communication barrier and in the end you are a happy customer.
    Nicholas Belling
    email@nicholasbelling.com
    Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Contributing Member Rick Kirchner's Avatar
    Liked: 1507

They are actually in an industrial park office right next to Marc Bahner's in Newbury Park.

I used my new XD in Hawaii and it worked perfectly. Put one of the mounts on the car for this weekend's race, and same thing reported above, wouldn't power up without the cable being hooked up. I did try to charge it with a generator source, but it's buffered by the RV's inverter. none of my other electronics have been affected.

Gentlemen:

Thank you all for your input. It shows what I had hoped for in that someone in this forum had to have a connection somewhere.

Yes, we followed Replay's instructions for a full 30 second reset. Did it multiple times with no reaction at all from the camera.

I'll write to the contact provided and hope to get back on track with Replay. I must add that in today's wired times, a technology seller not connected because they are at a 'trade show' is a poor excuse for ignoring current/past consumers. They are called 'smart' phones for a reason.

We'll see. Again, huge thanks to those that posted. Apex was my last chance for assistance.

Bob Melvin

Liked: 127

Jesse Vargas has been my point of contact at Replay, and been very helpful when I needed an RMA for the battery shorting out from vibration.
    Will Velkoff
    Van Diemen RF00 / Honda FF

Contributing Member
    Liked: 9

I have tried multiple video systems . this is the only,one i have ever been able to work on a regular basis,, I have been pleased , considering the expensive pile of junk i have to compair it with.... 2cents

Thread Information