Liked: 8

Default is open wheel racing alive in the northeast

I have been racing karts, tracking my Porsche but looking to get into a real race car. Im not ruling out open wheel but would like to have option on where and when i can race or drive. Looking for a fun car and people whether is vintage, scca, fpr, etc... Im not looking to set the world on fire or be the next schumacher but i also do not want to drive around by myself.

Thanks in advance for your help

AC
    Anthony Carbone Jr.
    SCCA SRF Gen3 #16
    05 Porsche 997

Liked: 3787

You certainly won't be driving around the track by yourself with either of these options. Think 30+ car fields, single class racing. Cars are available for rent in either series to test the waters.

http://www.f2000championshipseries.com/

or

http://www.f1600series.com/

Liked: 14

I just finished my first year in open wheel in the Northeast. There are open wheel cars but it depends on your definition of "a lot" of cars in a field. You should also consider budget, travel, time commitment, National vs Regional events, etc. I recommend you come watch one of the local SCCA races. Walk around the pits and ask the drivers/pit crew questions. Everyone is very open to sharing and friendly. There is an SCCA school at New Jersey Motorsports Park on April 6&7. I will be there with my son (racing Formula 500). I am also in NY so PM me if you have more specific questions. I don't have a lot of experience but just went through the process of becoming a 'newbie'

Liked: 83

Default Or come to a combined event at VIR and see it all

The Wild Hare races at VIR next month will showcase FF1600, FF2000, FF, CF and plenty more. You'll get a good gauge of how many cars/drivers are out there in each class.

David

Liked: 127

I remember you had messaged me back last year around this time...come up to the track during some of the Regional or Pro weekends to get a feel on what's out there, what fits your budget, skill level, etc...

-Will
    Will Velkoff
    Van Diemen RF00 / Honda FF

Quote Originally Posted by Will Velkoff View Post
    I remember you had messaged me back last year around this time...come up to the track during some of the Regional or Pro weekends to get a feel on what's out there, what fits your budget, skill level, etc...

-Will
    Yes Bill, i did, work was just to crazy to make the racing commitment. My budget is set (have funds) but now need to make a decision on what class to run. Where are the schedules?

Thanks again for everyones help
    Anthony Carbone Jr.
    SCCA SRF Gen3 #16
    05 Porsche 997

Quote Originally Posted by Purple Frog View Post
    You certainly won't be driving around the track by yourself with either of these options. Think 30+ car fields, single class racing. Cars are available for rent in either series to test the waters.

http://www.f2000championshipseries.com/

or

http://www.f1600series.com/
    Thankyou, when i met driving around by myself i also meant may be not being a front pack leader so having a class where there is good competition throughout the field would be more fun.

Can you get some nice cars for $20 to $25?
    Anthony Carbone Jr.
    SCCA SRF Gen3 #16
    05 Porsche 997

Liked: 127

Quote Originally Posted by AjC Jr View Post
    Yes Bill, i did, work was just to crazy to make the racing commitment. My budget is set (have funds) but now need to make a decision on what class to run. Where are the schedules?

Thanks again for everyones help

Here is the NARRC schedule (SCCA Regionals). Remember next year, there will be Regionals and U.S. Majors Tour in SCCA, as the current National racing is being replaced. I'd expect to see regional fields grow in 2014 (hopefully).

http://narrc.com/
    Will Velkoff
    Van Diemen RF00 / Honda FF

ApexSpeed Photographer Dennis Valet's Avatar
    Liked: 60

Quote Originally Posted by AjC Jr View Post
    Thankyou, when i met driving around by myself i also meant may be not being a front pack leader so having a class where there is good competition throughout the field would be more fun.

Can you get some nice cars for $20 to $25?

There is almost always someone to race with in the F1600/F2000. Here is the spread of qualifying times from Watkins Glen last year (every 5th car, as to not make the list too long)

1st - 1:51.995
    5th - 1:53.440
    10th - 1:54.235
    15th - 1:54.766
    20th - 1:55.932
    25th - 1:56.605
    30th - 1:59.330
    35th - 2:01.349

That's about 10 seconds a lap from 1st to 35th. When I take photos of the F2000/F1600 races, there are very few cars out there lapping by themselves for any extended period of time.

When my family still did SCCA regionals and nationals, there was usually a pretty big FF crowd in the northeast. It's smaller now than it was before, but it's still pretty good. Formula Vee is still very popular as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Velkoff View Post
    Here is the NARRC schedule (SCCA Regionals). Remember next year, there will be Regionals and U.S. Majors Tour in SCCA, as the current National racing is being replaced. I'd expect to see regional fields grow in 2014 (hopefully).

http://narrc.com/
    Thanks

Anything sooner to come out and watch?
    Tow vehicle ready, need car and trailer.
    Anthony Carbone Jr.
    SCCA SRF Gen3 #16
    05 Porsche 997

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Valet View Post
    There is almost always someone to race with in the F1600/F2000. Here is the spread of qualifying times from Watkins Glen last year (every 5th car, as to not make the list too long)

1st - 1:51.995
    5th - 1:53.440
    10th - 1:54.235
    15th - 1:54.766
    20th - 1:55.932
    25th - 1:56.605
    30th - 1:59.330
    35th - 2:01.349

That's about 10 seconds a lap from 1st to 35th. When I take photos of the F2000/F1600 races, there are very few cars out there lapping by themselves for any extended period of time.

When my family still did SCCA regionals and nationals, there was usually a pretty big FF crowd in the northeast. It's smaller now than it was before, but it's still pretty good. Formula Vee is still very popular as well.
    Thanks fellow long islander. I am looking very hard at FF, love the cars. Also looking for a fun bunch of people to be around with because what is racing without having good people to share your weekends with!
    Anthony Carbone Jr.
    SCCA SRF Gen3 #16
    05 Porsche 997

Liked: 0

Hello- My name is Jack Donahue. I have been racing for the last 5 years with FRCCA. I originally paid $4500 for a used formula ford and invested approx another $2,000. I bought a new trailer for $4000, a set of tires for approx $500, a suit and helmet and went racing. The rest of the club members are great to be with and very helpful. This year we will be racing at Summit Point and Shenandoah, WV, NJ Motorsports, Pocono Racway and NY Safety Track. The first event is April 13 & 14 at Shenandoah, WV. I live in Rockland County, NY and that is a 5 hour trip. Come and join us.

Thank you for all the info.
    Anthony Carbone Jr.
    SCCA SRF Gen3 #16
    05 Porsche 997

Contributing Member
    Liked: 46

AjC jr, Please tell us what the "2010 Grand Am Chip Foose RX8 Award" was and how did you achieve it. Warning to all FF drivers: I think that there is a sleeper about to join the ranks. Soon I hope.

Quote Originally Posted by Albatross View Post
    AjC jr, Please tell us what the "2010 Grand Am Chip Foose RX8 Award" was and how did you achieve it. Warning to all FF drivers: I think that there is a sleeper about to join the ranks. Soon I hope.
    I won a car from them. They had a contest you had to email in for and i won the trip and while at Miller i was one of 11 who won the raffle for the car.

http://www.pirelli.com/tire/us/en/ne...ries-utah-250/

Got to hang out with Patrick Dempsey

before i went on to speedtv

Im no sleeper, i do have some racing experience but definitely not a sleeper.
    Anthony Carbone Jr.
    SCCA SRF Gen3 #16
    05 Porsche 997

Liked: 10

Default CF/FF

Just my opinion but I think CF/FF is the most flexible best way to open wheel race.
    I race in the Northeast in the SCCA and Vintage in a FF that runs well in FF and CF. There are a lot of CF and FF's in Vintage and SCCA. The cars are reasonable to buy, there is a great group of people in the class and the cars are cheap to race. (If there is such a thing as cheap racing). When you decide to move on, they are easy to sell.

Good luck in whatever you choose and welcome to the fold.
    Jimmy
    Jimmy Hanrahan
    jimh3063@yahoo.com

Default Friends

You will also be required to bring your large breasted arm candy with you to all Northeast races you attend. It will get you instant friends in the paddock!!
    Jimmy Hanrahan
    jimh3063@yahoo.com

Default Food for thought

Just a thought but you may want to rent a couple of weekends in FF and then FC. There is quite a difference driving style and complexity in setup for each. It would be a good way to dip your toe in both ponds so to speak.

Anyway good luck either way.
    Jimmy
    Jimmy Hanrahan
    jimh3063@yahoo.com

Default NE

I had very limited time in 2 formula fords, a back marker whenever I went out. But it did not matter I was having a blast.

I recently got hooked up with a partner in an American Sedan, low budget car. First drivers school in May. But driving this thing around the street so far in testing is like a pickup truck compared to the formula car.

The only way to explain it that you might understand me; it is like going from the Pirelli tire girl on your left to Rachel Maddow.

My advice is don't just jump on a deal. You need to sit in some cars and see how they are built and fit. Buy the best one you can. Buy the safest one you can. For example my LolaT440 with my feet hanging out front of a stamped sheetmetal chassis was a little scary.

I am not sure what is the right answer. A big grid with a spec miata. Or smaller grids in a purpose built racecar that is a pleasure to TRY to drive at the limit.

In the end, which car would you like to tinker with, drive, wax and show your friends.

Thread Information