Liked: 9

Default Is it a good idea to chip a Cummins Diesel?

I've never had any trouble with my 2007 Dodge Ram but 10mpg pulling the trailer is getting old. Half the guys I know say that a chip is well worth the money, and the other half say it just leads to other problems. I've got the 6.7L turbo. I'd be greatful to hear other thoughts and comments.

Liked: 183

You can chip the Cummins Diesel. You need to insure several items before you can safely turn up the boost. You need to upgrade the lift pump at a minimum. You must make sure that you maintain at least 5-7psi pressure to the injector pump at all times or you run the risk of overheating the pump.

Liked: 120

Contact Chip Fisher at www.bluechipdiesel.com who is an F2000 participant and a Cummins expert.
    He was one of the first guys in the US to do diesel chips and custom pumps, he's forgotten more about them than most people know....

Liked: 183

+1 on bluechip diesel. An F2000 participant? huh.. learn something new everyday

Liked: 1

Another for Chip! Super nice and very knowledgable. He helped guide me through my diesel addiction days
    -Keegan

P1 #84
    Stohr WF1 BMW

Liked: 11

Default Chip is worth it..

I have an 09 cummins with a smarty chip... I tow with level 5 (+90hp) I believe. Getting 13-14 towing my 24' trailer. Only issue is you need a dual disc clutch. Good luck!

Classifieds Super License racerdad2's Avatar
    Liked: 202

Absolutely. Just monitor EGT & even the lowest power setting will improve the tow & mpg... And follow the above advice
    "An analog man living in a digital world"

Thread Information