Liked: 0

Default 1980 Citation Z-16 FF For Sale

My friend Cliff is selling his great Citation. It was pulled out of a garage in downtown Kansas City in pretty poor shape. Cliff redid the car right. This is a race ready car that needs nothing. It is going to be in the Mecum Aucution this Sunday in Indy. Here is the listing for it.

http://www.mecum.com/auctions/lot_de...pe=&startRow=1

You can bid on line but you will have to register with Mecum first. The hansom car behind Cliff's is mine. He did beat me but I don't want to talk about that.

Mike

Liked: 25

Default CFF Eligible

Since this car is a 1980, I can't tell if it has any "out-board" suspension. What type of suspension is on the front? Out-board shocks on the front qualify it as a CFF in both vintage sanctioning bodies and in SCCA regionals.

Liked: 190

Based on the car being built in 1980, it was updated at one point in its life. It has inboard susension on all four corners. I don't think the Z-16 went all inboard until '82. Steve Lathrop would know best.

Might want to check with your local club. Many areas are allowing "tweener" cars with 4 wheel inboard to run in CFF.
    Bill Bonow
    "Wait, which one is the gas pedal again?"

Liked: 25

Default Z16

Monoposto says at a minimum, one end must have outboard shocks. I believe this Z16 is inboard on both ends, too bad!
    The Z10 would be perfect

I believe that most Club Ford rules are also consistent there

Bill, I think you are right, as I seemed to remember that some of the Z16's were outboard rear?
    Jeff
    Last edited by Jeff Jagusch; 05.04.12 at 7:40 PM. Reason: Others beat me to it!

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Jagusch View Post
    Bill, I think you are right, as I seemed to remember that some of the Z16's were outboard rear?
    Again, Steve will set the record as straight a can be set But me thinks the '80 and '81 Z-16 was outboard rear and the '82 and '83 were inboard rear. In '84 Citation moved to the Centurion.

Got me one of those outboard Z-16's parked out in the 'ol garage. According to DW, one of the best mechanical grip cars he has ever driven. Unfortunatly, they are slightly lacking in the aero department. Sorta similar to a shoe box being dragged through the water.
    Last edited by Bill Bonow; 05.04.12 at 8:11 PM.
    Bill Bonow

Liked: 1403

The car is a late model Z16. The roll bar modification is not something I was consulted on. The car was designed around a 6'2", 220 lb driver. I can't see why the car was modified as it was.

From the pictures I can not tell the exact year it was built. But it was built with inboard rear suspension originally.

The car looks to be very well prepared.

I have done a few conversions of later cars to the original out board suspension. The z16 was originally outboard at the rear and that was definitely the best version of the car.

There is a Z16 with outboard rear suspension and push rod front floating around some where. Club Ford legal.

Liked: 14

I understand all the suspension classifications of a CFF vs FF.

that said, I always felt that any car that was built prior to the DB-1 showing up was a CFF.

the DB-1 is the one car that "changed" the FF class..................

therfore; DB-1 and newer = FF.

Gents,

Thanks for the interest in the car. I was not going to run an ad on ApexSpeed since the car is going to auction. For sale postings on ApexSpeed require prices.

I had several conversations with Steve Lathrop before buying the car In 2008. Per Steve, the cars were not issued with chassis plates or s/n which makes dating them difficult. I asked Steve if the Z-16 was available with all inboard in 1980. He sent an e-mail saying yes.

I used this documentation to get the car accepted as vintage legal Club Ford (what they call FF2) with Corinthian Vintage Auto Racing, a VMC club. It has two logbooks, vintage and SCCA. In my SCCA region, the car is Club Ford legal. SCCA Club Ford rules vary from region to region.

I decided to consign the car at Mecum Indy so anyone with interest could contact Steve or Richard at ICP to arrange an inspection. Another option is to call Charile Williams. Charlie knows this car and is my neighbor. His son Brian modified the roll hoop and added the anti-intrusion bars. First class work and a very safe car.

This is a racing retirement sale. With some experimentation with stiffer springs, I think the car will be exceptionally competitive in vintage Club Ford which was my main interest. It ain't too bad right now!

Liked: 5

Very nice car!! Is that a" No reserve "auction ?

Cliff,

I think notification of an auction is just fine here at Apex. People post eBay listings all the time.

Actually, in researching, the first Z-16 was produced in '78 (it's got to be true, the internet is never wrong), so I was off.

Looks to be a really nice car, well prepaired and ready to go racing.

According to Mecum, this car goes on the auction block next Sunday (May 13). It is a "feature" car, but it does not have a NR (no reserve) tag on the listing.

Good luck with the auction and hope we see the car back at the race track real soon.
    Bill Bonow

The car will be available for inspection at Mecum Indy from May 14 through May 20. It crosses the block late morning on Sunday, May 20. I do have a reserve that is reasonable ... where good, clean Club Fords are changing owners. If no serious buyers show up, I don't want to give the car away to a speculator. i'll lift the reserve and throw in some nice extras for a racer.

I will be at Indy all week so anyone close please stop by for some bench racing.

Going to miss racing. Already going through withdrawal symptoms. I dropped a 14/36 first gear ratio in the box so it would be easy to launch in a parking lot. Damn, this is fun. I drove it up and down my cul de sac a few times yesterday. What a difference in acceleration when you are using a standing start ratio versus a rolling start / slowest corner first gear ratio. Twelve gear sets included with the car.

Cliff Koehler

Guys,

Back from the Indy auction with car on the trailer. I thought the buyer demographic might be a bit different for this locale. I was wrong. Our cars don't have much interest to the V8 crowd!

So here is the official for sale offering.

- Designed and constructed by Indianapolis Competition Products. Steve and Richard are regulars to the list.
    http://icpcitation.com/cars.htm
    - Inboard suspension on 4 corners. Club Ford legal in some regions. Vintage legal with some clubs.
    - Two logbooks: SCCA and Corinthian Vintage Auto Racing (a VMC club). Most VMC clubs accept entries from other VMC clubs even if the car doesn't meet their class requirements. You can race two events as a VMC member guest entry.
    - Freshened in 2010: new ATL fuel cell, CO2 fire system, rod ends, AN fasteners, Taylor Engineering annular throw out bearing, Tilton 7.25" clutch, FIA 6-point harness, and paint.
    - 2 weekends on engine. Charlie Williams prepped carb.
    - 12 gear sets.
    - Spares package included with car. Larger items include new rain tires on steel wheels, new factory nose, custom nose mold, usable exhaust header.
    - For ApexSpeed members, will include a PBS quick lift and folding Pegasus chassis stands. (This is a retirement sale)
    - The car is race ready and located in Kansas City.
    - Price is $8,500.
    - Have an aluminum frame (diamond plate clad) open tandem axle trailer available for $2,500. Will make a package deal for both. Car must sell before the trailer.

Contact information:
    Cliff Koehler
    ckoehler56@gmail.com
    816-581-7470 weekdays

Thanks for looking.

Bump. Price reduced to $7,500.

Cliff Koehler
    Ckoehler56@gmail.com
    816-581-7470 weekdays

Liked: 2

Someone please buy this car before I use my imminent lottery winnings to acquire it.

Lance

Liked: 121

Quote Originally Posted by LanceKTM950 View Post
    Someone please buy this car before I use my imminent lottery winnings to acquire it.

Lance
    My thoughts exactly!

Liked: 3

So....... since the suspension is in board, does club FF eleigibility depend on the year of the car?

Seems like in some regions it may be accepted and in others not?

Correct.

Lance

Looks like a great car. Hope it finds a home.

This car can also be converted to outboard rear suspension for full CFF eligibility in almost every group.

LANCE

Any idea what a conversion to outboard suspension would cost and who would have the parts? Could you use the same shocks and just need new upper and lower a-arms and control rods?

If you have to ask...

Liked: 1403

You can get the parts from Rick Highland or myself. The shocks are the same. Rick is the last person to convert one of these cars and he should have a way better idea than I would about price. He may have a lot of the parts in stock. My guess is about $2000 +. There are no frame modifications but there are extensive modifications to the rear bulkhead, rear uprights and all new suspension links.

It does make this car into a great CFF.

Quote Originally Posted by LanceKTM950 View Post
    If you have to ask...
    Yeah yeah, I know

Thanks Steve, thats what I needed to know.

Any idea what the indicator lights on the dash are being used for?

Water temp? Oil pressure?

Yellow LEDs indicate ignition on. They stay lit while racing. If you inadvertently knock the main toggle stitch to off position, the lights tell you what has happened. Put the clutch in, turn ignition on, refire the car while coasting, and get back the positions you just lost.

Red LEDs indicate low oil pressure. They go out when pressure is 15 PSI or greater. If they come on while racing, shut it down and save yourself from an expensive repair.

Cliff Koehler

Liked: 33

Anyone looking to convert the Z16 to a Outboard rear I can provide pictures as a starting point. I provided Ric Hiland with spares to jig from for his conversion. It is a great club ford with out standing handling.

The car has been sold. Home track will be Watkins Glen.

Thanks for all of the inquiries.

Liked: 33

Look forward to seeing another Citation running in the North East. I am signed up for the July 20 Glen event running my Z16. Hope to see the new owner there.

Congrats Cliff!

New owner is required to post photos of the car in action.....

Lance

Contributing Member
    Liked: 1

Default VRG Eligibility Committee

Beautiful car! It needs to have the suspension in the rear moved to be located outboard, to be Monoposto accepted, which covers VRG, SVRA,VDCA, and VSCDA. In the west some rules are overlooked.

Contributing Member northarrowracing's Avatar
    Liked: 36

This baby is now MINE !!!! Home track will be VIR. After 2 years of browsing Apex Speed and many years of talking about getting back into racing I pulled the trigger. Cliff did a beautiful job of restoring this car and I hope to do the March SCCA school at Summit. I could really use 1 crew member to help out. Someone near me in central NC who wants to join in the fun could call me at 919-698-6675 Thanks Apex Speed

Ric Cooley
    North Arrow Racing

Liked: 3787

Ric,
    Sent you a PM about possible crew in the north Durham suburbs.

Thread Information