Liked: 0

Default Oiling and oil pan questions

I am converting my car to a newer gsxr motor. I would like to dry sump but have heard about some problems with oil pressure. I can't afford to blow a motor. I found a pan at speedpartz.com that looks good. Has the swinging pickup design. Does anyone use this pan. Thanks. Chad

Liked: 4

chad what year of gsxr are you talking about? with hundreds of customers around the world running dry sump, i am yet to hear of any of them having oil pressure problems.... where are you getting this info?
    Jesse Brittsan
    Brittsan Racing Developments

Liked: 273

Chad
    Is this pan going to be used on a road course car or a mini sprint?

If you're application is for ROAD RACING I would not recommend the swinging pickup. These were found early on to be very problematic.

I strongly suggest a pan that has "TRAP DOORS" that keep the oil always contained around the pickup. The pickup should be as far forward in the pan as possible.

As for dry sumps never heard of lower oil pressure being a problem, only problem I hear about them is the added weight to your car.
    Gary Hickman
    Edge Engineering Inc
    FB #76

hmm, i guess i wouldnt use any of the commercially available swinging pickups, as those are designed for drag bikes and stunt bikes, ie go and stop(and willies etc), not really cornering, but we designed and built one that worked better then any of the trap door designs we had run and ran it on Rod Rices f1000 car for a season before going dry sump and then sold it to Lee Alexander whom also reported it to work better then any of the trap door pans he had run including the updated designs. it allowed us to run closer to the middle of the sight glass without over filling. Lee was first to take a dsr to 2:00 at RA with this swinging pickup.
    Jesse Brittsan

Liked: 0

It is a 03 750. I will be using it on an autocross car. I have read that the stock oil pump doesn't have enough flow when using longer oil lines. I am just trying to get some good info before I put it in the car. I want the motor as low as possible and the oil pan will decide that. Thanks. Chad

any wet or dry sump system for 01-08 gsxr 1000 should fit onto that motor. with dry sump, you actually eliminate the oil lines to the cooler and drill the last bit of material out of the cooler galleries and cap em up. with this simple mod, you shorten the path a ton, and usually see an increase in flow and thus pressure. we then run the oil out of the scavenge pump through the cooler and then to the tank. dry sump generally will lower oil temps between 50 and 100 degrees F for a given cooler size. so you get away with about half the oil cooler. if you want more oil flow/pressure, throw an oil pump out of an 07-08 1000 in there. there are different lengths of shafts for the different years both in the oil pump and water pump so you just have to match em up. either transfer your oil pump shaft into the 07-08 unit, or run an 07-08 water pump. both should be readily available on ebay. the 07-08 unit is dimensionally identical on the out side, but has larger gerotors inside. as for wet or dry sump, different strokes for different folks. i can help you with dry sump should you want to go that route. it deffinately has its benefits and has proven its worth in the f1000 world. my kit installs in 5 minutes and retains use of the stock water pump. if you choose to go wet sump, there are a few different kits that work well in these cars. i make one with the swinging pickup, and the trap door designs are made by a few different shops. i believe gary above at edge makes one, Loshak has a design that is sold by greg moon, CMC makes one that you can get through George Dean (and probably the edge design) and then you have rilltech. all are good designs and have been optimized for race car use. stay away from used unless you know it is a current design with the pickup at the front.
    Jesse Brittsan

Liked: 554

If it will be for autocross only (<60 second runs), maybe an oil cooler isn't needed.

Thread Information