Thread: Scott Hutchison

Liked: 35

Default Scott Hutchison

Sorry to interrupt this thread but wanted to post a notice since I know many FF people are following along. On Monday June 18 long time SCCA racer Scott Hutchison passed away. I first met Scott back in '75 when he was working with Steve Mignone managing The Book race shop in Minneapolis and running a Merlyn FF. He started racing in sedans shortly after graduating from high school in 1972 and was in and out of any number of FFs from the '70s on. In the early '80s Scott ran a homebuilt "Spaceframe" FF. He last raced a Van Diemen FC and was a manager at Orr Autosports in Minneapolis until struck with debilitating illness in 2010.

Scott had recently turned 58 and was a friend to all of us in Land O Lakes Region. He will be greatly missed by family and everyone who knew him. Services will be held in Edina, MN this coming Saturday at 5:30 p.m. Life can be fleeting. Let's all enjoy it while we're here.

Liked: 713

Scott was also a friend in the Milwaukee Region so this is very sad news.
    One of my most memorable races was a regional in FC in '03 or '04 at Blackhawk Farms. Scott and I battled back and forth for the entire race, racing hard but clean, and exchanging the lead several times. Every time I read his Caring Bridge blog, I pictured Scott in impound that day, hoping someday he might get back there.
    Mike Beauchamp
    RF95 Prototype 2

Get your FIA rain lights here:
    www.gyrodynamics.net/product/cartek-fia-rain-light/

Liked: 447

So sad to hear the news about Scott. When I first started racing Scott was one of the "fast guys" in FC. My condolences to his family and fellow racer friends (Ronskian, Steve, etc). He will be missed.
    2003 VanDiemen FSCCA #29
    Follow me on Twitter @KeithCarter74

Contributing Member Rick Kirchner's Avatar
    Liked: 1495

Truly sad news. When I was just starting out in FC and tring to figure out setup on my 94, Scott contacted me and provided a wealth of information. Last time I looked at his Caring Bridge I thought he was on the road to recovery.

Such a loss.

Contributing Member racingflyboy's Avatar
    Liked: 71

Oh my God. I too had not looked at his CaringBridge site since about early May, and thought he was finally doing better, and maybe this time he'd make it through, after several setbacks.

There are so many very nice and wonderful in racing, but Scott was truly one of the best, if not THEE best. I first met him at Orr Autosprts, and enjoyed seeing him there every time I brought our (OK, my wife's) BMW in for service. Always had a smile and time for a friendly chat. Always more interested in what others were up to or had to say. I never got to know him as well as many of you did, but it was obvious he was special.

Scott, you will be missed by so many more than you'd ever realize. And his S.O., Sandy, I only breifly met her at a benefit for Scott back on late 2010, she must be a very special person, she was with him through out this ordeal, and from what I've read, without her keeping strict watch of the various medical facilities and people involved with his treatment, I think he'd have been gone long ago. Sandy, my heart goes out to you. And Scott's family as well.

Godspeed my friend.

Steve
    Steve Barkley
    1969 Palliser-Winkelmann WDF1 FF1600

Liked: 43

This is terrible news!

I first met Scott at BIR in the late eighties. He was at every event there and I always looked forward participating with him. His mild manorism always seemed to bring a calming effect to the weekend. Even though it's been a number of years since we have spoken I will certainly miss his presence. He is and always will be one of the fond memories for me in racing.

Liked: 6

Default Goodbye to a friend....

Last night we said goodbye to Scott in a fabulous service put together by his girlfriend Sandy, her family and Scott's family. The turnout was truly inspiring and a statement to the type of guy Scott was.

Sandy delivered an inspirational rememberance of Scott and the stories she and their families told gave everyone insight into his personna. What really struck me was how Sandy dealt with the "why?" question - it's one of those things you wish was recorded so more people could understand. Check out his Caring Bridge site if you have the time.

He really was a boy scout, only stepping out of that shell with a shot (never more than two!) of Jager at least once a race weekend. He was true to himself and allowed everyone else be true to themselves.

I'm going to go straighten out my toolbox now and sweep the shop floor - just like Scott would insist.

You're a stronger man than I.
    Ron

Liked: 1

Default Hutch

Been struggling with this and what to say about Scott for the past two weeks since his passing.

I knew Scott for over thirty years, I first met Scott in 1980 when my dad was looking at buying a GProd triumph race car at the old Pyrotech shop in Minneapolis where he was sharing shop space working on his Royale RP-24 FF. I was just a 13 year old kid who was more interested in the FF race car than the Spitfire my father was buying and Scott took the time to show me the car and answer my questions.

Scott really was a mentor,he taught me a lot about working on race cars and would always call on a Monday after I had raced to see how I did and get all the latest racing gossip.

Wish I could have made it to the service last weekend, you will be missed Hutch.

Here's a photo of Scott circa 1981 at the BIR National driving the rp-24, thats how I would like to remember him. -Dave

Liked: 0

Default first post-bear with me

[FONT=Monaco]Just read the thread about Scott's passing ... Fubar gave me a heads up on them last week. Oh how the tears are flowing as I read what everyone wrote, saw names from the past from racing in other regions.[/FONT]
    Thanks to all of you - I will share your fond memories and kind words about Scott with our families. I was the luckiest person to have been with him for almost 12 years. What happened durng the past two years of Scott's life clearly is an example of how life isn't fair and how life can be short so try to live it to your fullest.
    I am being brave and heading up to BIR this weekend for the SCCA races. I haven't been ready for any big gatherings since Scott passed away so I imagine itwill be a bitter sweet experience as it will be good to see friends but sad that I am not there with Scott.
    Take care.

Contributing Member racingflyboy's Avatar
    Liked: 71

Sandy, I'm glad to hear you'll be coming to BIR, we'll all have of a bit of Scott with us.

Sandy knows about this by now, what we (Land O Lakes) are doing is placing a decal in every Driver Packet at the Jack Pines Sprints event at BIR this Labor day Weekend. Our hope is that every driver will proudly display these tokens of our remembrance of a great person, racer and friend. Even hope to get them on the Tran/Am cars.

If anyone else out there in ApexSpeed land would like one of these decals (3" x 4.5"),

"In Memory of Scott Hutchison 1954-2012", with a pair of crossed Checker Flags.

please contact me and I'll be more than happy to mail one to you, providing we have some left over.

steve.barkley@emc.com or pm me.
    Steve Barkley
    1969 Palliser-Winkelmann WDF1 FF1600

Liked: 9

Steve,

I wont be making it up there this weekend. I recall, fondly, several races with Scott when I had my Continental. Would you please send me a decal...two if at all possible? Please pass on my regards to Sandy as well. Thanks Steve!!
    Currently Without Car

Thread Information