Liked: 9

Default Hoosiers holding air

One of my 2nd set of 25B's looses about 5 lb air per week. The other 7 seldom needed air. My supplier said this is common as the tires have no inner liner. Anyone have experience to relate?
    Mark
    1990 Van Diemen, the Racing Machine, CM AutoX, 2016 Frontier
    You can try to make a street car into an autocrosser or you can do a lot less work and make a race car into a great autocrosser

Liked: 6

I am interested in seeing responses to this thread from the guys with more experience. Out of the 4 sets of wheels I have (they are all 13 x 5.5 Panasports, 3 sets with the slicks and 1 set with the rains), 2 tires (they are both slicks and rear tires) lose considerable amount of air over a time. I was also wondering if this was somewhat normal.
    Sho Torii
    1985 Citation FF1600

Liked: 212

i can't say for sure how much air is lossed over time, but this is normal for race tires. should not be an issue though as you should be checking and adjusting tires pressures for every on track session
    Cheers
    Len

Porsche River Oaks. Houston

Liked: 68

5 lbs /week is a bit high, but not outside of my experience. These are race tires, not street tires, so I don't think of them as "defective" if they require a bit of air frmo time to time. In truth, you will be setting your pressures every time you scale or align the car, and before every track session anyway, and I don't think most of us transport their cars on the tires they expect to race on.

Over the years, I think it's about 1 tire in 20 (maybe less) from Hoosier that I've had that slowly loses air. I've never had one that lost pressure fast enough to cause a problem in a session (without, ahem, help from external causes), and I've got a set on my car right now that's held pressure within a couple of pounds for about 9 months (transport tires). YMMV, but I don't see it as a problem and I don't see Hoosier as radically different from the other race rubber I've used in this respect.
    Marshall Mauney

Milwaukee Region

Liked: 65

yes, it is normal for bias ply tires to loose air. 1 pound a day is not unheard of. A pound an hour is cause for alarm. mix up some soapy water in a spray bottle and spray the tire down. pay particular attention to the bead area, valve stem (even push the stem towards the outer circumfrence of the tire to check it seal when the rim is rotating) also the areas where the tire designation plates are in the mold. At one pound a day you might not see any bubbles.

Do not give in to temptation to fill tire with fix a flat or slime. If you do, please tell your tire guy it's in there BEFORE he tries to dismount the tire.

Liked: 10

For recent Hoosiers 5 lbs per week that different from other tires after adjusting for pressure drop from cooling is somewhat high unless the wheel bead etc is the prblem. However nothing to worry about. Do the water bubbles test to see if it is the tire versus wheel or bead seat.

Dick

I just had new sets of tires mounted by a friend. I told him that the rears were losing air. He checked the rims and noted that there was a good amount of corrosion in the bead area. He cleaned all the corrosion off, replaced the valve and bead sealed it. After 48 hours, no leaking at all. Impressive.
    Sho Torii
    1985 Citation FF1600

Liked: 384

On Goodyears sometimes sides leak.
    It can flatten tire in a week.
    Maris Kazia ,CEO
    EuroKraft Inc Racing
    Circuito do Sol
    2014 Radical SR 3 RSX, 2x Tatuus FA 01
    BMW HP2 .BMW K1200 R.Porsche 996 Carerra 4s

Liked: 9

Mine still leaks. It is easily dealt with. I just need to pump it up before I tow to get the strap tension correct. I am looking forward to my next set of tires in hope that none of them will leak.
    Mark
    1990 Van Diemen, the Racing Machine, CM AutoX, 2016 Frontier
    You can try to make a street car into an autocrosser or you can do a lot less work and make a race car into a great autocrosser

Liked: 10

Quote Originally Posted by mwizard View Post
    Mine still leaks. It is easily dealt with. I just need to pump it up before I tow to get the strap tension correct. I am looking forward to my next set of tires in hope that none of them will leak.
    Mark
    1 piece or 3 piece wheels? 3 piece wheels tend to leak if the seal deteriorates. Have you done a "bubble test" to zero in on the leak location. FYI I have had tires in the distant past that leaked through the sidewall . . . very obvious with the bubble test. One set of the old Hoosier DOT bias ply Autocrossers on my Lotus leaked so badly I used tire sealant in them and maybe even tried tubes since the I drove the car to/from events on those tires. The tire sealant made a mess on the garage floor as I recall.

Dick
    CM 85

Quote Originally Posted by mwizard View Post
    Mark
    Next time when you change tires, take a good look at the rims. Brush off all of the corrosion on the bead area and it will make a huge difference.
    Sho Torii
    1985 Citation FF1600

Liked: 65

Spray with soapy water. Find where it leaks.

It might not be anything to be worried about. I've seen cars destroyed because a $1 valve stem failed and I've seen championships won on leaky tires.

Thread Information