Liked: 14

Default Final days of the build I have some doubts

I'm getting closer to finishing the car and taking it off the stands since February, not that long ago really, but racing season has started and I'm fumbling left and right learning how to assemble a car that has so many ways "looking at it" and many different obstacles when improving things a bit. I may now thank many of the members of ApexSpeed primarily because there is so much to learn here. I'm glad that the SR group has a chance now to archive information, debacles and such and such.

So I'm in the process of deciding one of two things. The first, is strake angle of attack under the no-strakes diffuser on this Novak converted RF98, the diffuser is nice looking, fits well, but has no strakes. There is a bubble under the center of the diffuser to do, this bubble is a bit over a 1sq ft of the center o the diffuser, it also helps to accomodate for the chassis conversion, I not very sure of that assumption either. Ok, the two pictures show the angles of attack I had in mind, straight perpendicular or at a slight angle which may create a funnel look to it. I will let common knowledge guide me in how to install the strakes and the bracket wings to do some work.

The set of pictures is of the extra wing/artifact that we want to use as a support for the diffusser via our huge sail panels/endplates. My question is, if there enough clean air to make this little artifact give something of a little "kick", would you want the trailing end of the artifact to be leading the gurney on the diffuser, even or behind it, when looking at it from the side. The angle of attack of the artifact can be adjusted but I wouldnt know the difference, looks cool.

thanks for comments and criticism Marchand Juan R
    Last edited by JRMarchand; 06.15.13 at 12:24 AM.

Liked: 43

Put the car on the scales with you in it then ask the question is it worth the extra weight.

Liked: 3787

For what its worth. My opinion.

Strakes should run straight.

While there are some Citations running small wings immediately above the diffuser, (e.g. DaveW) (also Niki's VD at 2006 Runoffs) they were installed after a bit of testing. I'm thinking you will be adding too much drag for the amount of extra pumping you may achieve. In fact, i think the existing wicker on the diffuser is a bit too high and should be trimmed down a bit.

Just an opinion.

There is a Radical and a Boss mustang waiting to use scales first. in the meantime we wasting energy making car the best it can be from the stand point of view , then it will be driven but only when we get the strakes in, haha not weighing this on the scales until i get the strakes in.

thanks for the encouragement

I like your take Mr Frog, thank you, I dont think Ive ever tested a diffuser. So thanks for talking about trimming the lip.....

Liked: 3787

Sort of a dilemma with the diffuser. If you trim that lip, you can always add wickers back. If you don't trim it, you won't know if it works better trimmed.

But, don't trim it based just on my amatuer opinion.

you are not an amateur, I appreciate that you are being nice with ur opinions. I thought Nikki's was something like that and I might've seen the back of DW car few times going by. Its nothing new i'm sure, totally new to me until I get used to it and realize my money is all gone spent on whizzy.

Liked: 36

Default Curved Diffuser Strakes

Here's a still from a video I took at the 2012 Malaysian F1 GP. It's the bottom of a Mercedes F1 car from the back looking forward, where you can clearly see the curvature of the diffuser strakes. I would guess this is nearly optimal, for what it's worth.

-Jim
    Last edited by JJLudemann; 07.23.12 at 11:11 AM. Reason: added photo

Liked: 896

Track time Juan, track time.

Coop has turned numerous 2:10s at RA with that diffuser as you received it.

Trim the wicker for RA. Add wicker for slow tracks.

Thanks ... Jay Novak

Contributing Member glenn cooper's Avatar
    Liked: 136

Default I was

a bit of a pu55 back then - that car should be doin' 7's!

Liked: 710

Quote Originally Posted by glenn cooper View Post
    a bit of a pu55 back then - that car should be doin' 7's!
    Shet yo mouf!
    Mike Beauchamp
    RF95 Prototype 2

Get your FIA rain lights here:
    www.gyrodynamics.net/product/cartek-fia-rain-light/

Thread Information