Liked: 2

Default 07-08 GSXR engines

Wow. Are these things getting impossible to find... or am I just looking in all the wrong places?

Later engines are pretty bountiful. Is anyone yet running one?

Thanks

Contributing Member glenn cooper's Avatar
    Liked: 136

Default Yeah...

There are a few 09/10's running, but there is a bit of a stigma attached to that generation engine - there have been many, many failures.

Whether this reputation is warranted or not (ie, not sure just who/what/why exactly is causing these failures) the fact is no one who is setting the really quick lap times is using one.

That gen engine had the method of oiling the crankshaft changed from previous generations - it is now refered to as"end oiled". Not sure if that is the reason, but I believe it was heavily suspect.

Perhaps George D will chime in - if anyone can shed further light on this issue, it's that feller.

I know there were some crankshaft mods done initially to try to help these engines survive - not sure if it was just for dry sump only, and was done as "Oil system is open" in regard to rules interpretation.

The problem with the dwindling supply of low-ish mileage 07/08's is that if you do find one that is a bit "miley", the valves will need to be replaced and at $75-100 each x 16 it becomes very expensive, equaling the cost of the used engine.

Unless of course you are used to paying umpteen thousand for a new tractor/Pinto - THEN it's a friggin' DEAL!

I am constantly getting and turning engines, so I'll put ya on the list (right behind Jake). I hope to have a few w/i a few weeks.

GC

Default Thanks, Coop ---

We are looking for a second motor; would love to send both to GDRE at the same time.

C

Liked: 1880

Default How 'bout a smaller substitute?

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Crowe View Post
    We are looking for a second motor.....

Got an old Briggs and Stratton you could use......

Liked: 159

Default put me on the list coop

Hey coop.....put me on the list for at least one if not two engines. We have one in our prototype that we are using for testing and developement.....but that is all......and we prefer our cars go out the door ready to run.....

Thanks,

Jerry Hodges
    JDR Motorsport.com

Contributing Member Thomas Copeland's Avatar
    Liked: 165

Chris,

Firman West Cars developed a dry sump with Ralph Firman for the 09/10/11 Suzuki with assistance of George Dean. Nicholas has got all the details if you're interested. Terry Biner has been running the 09 for 2 years without a problem. About it being down on horsepower over the 07/08 better you ask Nicholas. I think there might be a few misconceptions as to exacty how down on horsepower it is.

Default Roger, Tom ---

Thanks.

And Richard. I actually once built a B&S flathead for a go kart kid and got pretty good power out of it via dropping a dollop of weldment on the cam lobes and filing for major (looking) efficiency. It actually half worked!

Liked: 5

I agree K7/K8's are harder to find.

I have had good luck with WTB ads for wrecked bikes in craigslist.

2 weeks ago I bought a nice whole 2008 with 4000 miles for $1500.

After an oil & filter change, fresh fuel, airbox cleaning, and battery charge, it started right up.
    The cases aren't even scratched.

Contributing Member glenn cooper's Avatar
    Liked: 136

Default Please

Let me know of any of those you do NOT want.
    You stole that thing! (and I'm proud of ya!)

GC

Thread Information