Thread: Transport tires

Liked: 0

Being new to FC I was wondering if everyone uses transport tires. There were quite a few at the Glen last week. If so who makes them?
    Morgan<br />Zetec Championship

Liked: 19

Not everyone uses them. Some people save the money for beer instead.... You can get them fabbed pretty easily but you will probably spend more money and time this way. I think Tom Johnson (member here) was making them for a while - maybe drop him an email. I'm not sure who else sells them - I know KRC (Keister race components)has them. Expect to spend around $800 by the time they have tires.... (That IS a lot of beer...)

Liked: 3787

A lot of motorcycle junk yards will sell old wheels with mounted tires for $40-$50 each. But you need to be handy to fab up adapter plates to mount them.

They are advertised in SportsCar for $690/set @ 1-800-386-1556.

[size="1"][ September 19, 2002, 08:31 AM: Message edited by: Purple Frog ][/size]

Liked: 225

Several years ago, I saw a FC using what appeared to be four of the spare tires like you would find in a VW Golf instead of a full size spare, as transport tires. You would have to figure out an adapter that would allow the use of the centerlock, but you should come out cheaper than $800. Might be something that could be picked up for relatively little $ (compared to new, anyway) at a salvage yard.

John

Morgan I just made some very trick ones from motorcycle wheels. The total cost was $300.00. I can take some pix and post them if someone (Doug) would tell me how. They work and look great.
    Michael Hall
    Got a job
    Race a bike
    Cal Club

I'd really be interested in your design. That saves a lot of money for beer and another set of Hoosiers.

Contributing Member Rick Kirchner's Avatar
    Liked: 1494

I too would like to see the Mike's pics. I've been monkeying around with this for the past couple of months ever since I realized I need more than 20' of ramps to get my car in the trailer. I have a pretty high trailer (24" at the floor) and by my calculations, need 26" tires to raise the car to 4" of ground clearance. That's too tall for any of the temporary spares. I thought about using the 165/15 skinnies that you see on old volkswagons, with the wide five wheels cause it's easy to fab adapter plates for those. John Kuba who runs a FB in VARA uses that set up.

Liked: 11

If you guys want to post a pic, email it to me and I'll do it for you.
    seanandwhit@yahoo.com
    It will have to be Monday though...
    Sean O'Connell
    1996 RF96 FC
    1996 RF96 FB
    2004 Mygale SJ04 Zetec

Here are Mike's wheels (yes they are very trick):

[size="1"][ September 23, 2002, 11:47 AM: Message edited by: carnut169 ][/size]
    Sean O'Connell
    1996 RF96 FC
    1996 RF96 FB
    2004 Mygale SJ04 Zetec

Deleted

[size="1"][ September 23, 2002, 11:51 AM: Message edited by: carnut169 ][/size]
    Sean O'Connell
    1996 RF96 FC
    1996 RF96 FB
    2004 Mygale SJ04 Zetec

Just go here to see both photos:
    Click here to see Mike's wheels
    Sean O'Connell
    1996 RF96 FC
    1996 RF96 FB
    2004 Mygale SJ04 Zetec

I figured it out- no spaces allowed on this BBS.
    Fixed the first post so now it will work.
    Sean O'Connell
    1996 RF96 FC
    1996 RF96 FB
    2004 Mygale SJ04 Zetec

I was wondering what are the rims off of and white size are the rims and wheels. The picks look great and i really want to make a set.
    Thanks for the help Morgan

I was able to pick up a 19" pair of these wheels. I would appreciate any info on creating the hub adapters for a 97 VD FC.

Thanks.

Rob Poma

Sorry about the delay on the info for these wheels. Rob it sounds like you bought the same M/C wheels that I bought. First we milled out one side of the bearing housing to the same diameter as the OD of the wheel seat. The idea was that the wheel would seat and the locater washer would keep the wheel in place. I had no intention to use these wheels as drive wheels. We then found that this area is hollow (I was hoping it was solid) we then had to mill an insert to support the wheel. The outside of the insert had to be counter sunk to accept the wheel nut. I can take pictures of the inserts if that would help.

If any of you have more questions call me.
    Michael Hall
    Got a job
    Race a bike
    Cal Club

Thread Information