Liked: 3

Default Video that actualy works?

Can anyone recommend a camera that actually works on a formula car (FC Pinto)? I have had all three versions of the GoPro and they have all been garbage.

The new Hero 2 is a bit shy of a hero - quits once the car is up to speed - same junk as the first versions just more bells & whistles. Their customer service will certainly brighten your day also.

I need a real camera and I'd love to hear any suggestions.

Thanks

Liked: 14

my chase cam has been flawless since i bought it(used).
    I have used others and had vibration issues that made the camera a liability.

buy a good system once, rather than replace the "bargain" system frequently.

Liked: 679

Check out the thread "stiffed by gopro." I have been stiffed by GoPro and agree; their product is junk, and they don't stand behind it. I recently tried the TACK cam from race optics, which never worked, but Race Optics stood behind it 100% [or at least, Group A racing stood behind it.]. There are several other options under the thread above. If I scrape together enough $ to try it again, I might go with a contour, or with Race Optics better equipment.
    Jim
    Swift DB-1
    Talent usually ends up in front, but fun goes from the front of the grid all the way to the back.

Liked: 2

I have used a Contour GPS now for 2 years. Have not experience any failures. This is on a FV. Excellent HD, can be modified with computer.

Liked: 8

The contour GPS I purchased from Jim @ Vis Comm here on the forums has been good to me for the last year I've had it....

There were some SD card issues at first, but simple formatting before use fixed that. It is nowhere near as quirky as the AIM SmartyCam I had.
    On the SC note, a certain green/yellow van dieman runs the smartycam hooked to a ton of data stuff and it is very reliable. I just couldnt get mine to be reliable...

Here is a recent video, it even kept recording after I hit some tires :-) :
    http://contour.com/stories/april-29-...lackhawk-farms

-Mike
    ---------
    Mike Green
    Piper DF2 FF

Contributing Member Mark Walthew's Avatar
    Liked: 34

A couple of my friends have the ReplayXD camera. They are small and produce very nice video. Definitely the camera I will be getting when my car is back together.

Contributing Member ric baribeault's Avatar
    Liked: 258

we used a race cam for montreal this weekend purchased from johnathan scarello at group A. reasonably priced and worked great

Liked: 99

Ric- How did Montreal go?Email me details. Mike Sauce

Liked: 0

Default Race-Keeper

I use Race-Keeper. Very high quality video, HD, 4 video inputs with the system for formula cars. The bullet cameras are awesome! The real beauty of the Race-Keeper system is ease of use and the ability to compare data AND video on the same screen. They just upgraded the systems power and it is still the same cost. www.race-keeper.com

Liked: 29

I handle the VIO-POV and I know many here at Apexspeed have had success with it on everything from FV to Historic Formula One cars. Special pricing for Apexspeed members.

Jim Gustafson
    Visual Communications
    contactus@vis-comm.com
    Last edited by Jim Gustafson; 08.22.12 at 2:22 PM.

Liked: 107

while not cheap... and little quirky to set-up the first time. ChaseCam is great - military spec reliable, and set and forget it use. just pull out the data card and download to your computer. nice to have the g's overlay as well. also nice to have the camera "brain" mounted remotely. no batteries to charge, no turning on or off, zero "to do".

the tend to hold their value fairly well... so while expensive, you can always get ~70% of it back out at anytime.
    BT29-24 Swift DB1 Matra M530

Contributing Member Nicholas Belling's Avatar
    Liked: 1

Default replay XD with power pack / remote start kit is perfect.

replay XD with power pack / remote start kit is perfect.

had great success with to date.

Need the power pack though or remote extra battery pack..

charging between sessions is not an option.
    Nicholas Belling
    email@nicholasbelling.com
    Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Liked: 30

Default Replay XD

How long do you find the batteries last in the standard unit? How much longer with the remote power pack? Shame the battery can't be switched for a fully charged one.

Thanks,

Ian

Contributing Member Nicholas Belling's Avatar
    Liked: 1

standard lithium built in about 1 hour..
    extra battery 4 - 5 hours.

charge time on standard battery is 2 - 3 hours from dead.

battery addition pack or remote power pack to car battery is the perfect setup.

as well teh remote power pack with remote driver cockpit controls is even better which they just released and it has been tested.

works great.
    Nicholas Belling
    email@nicholasbelling.com
    Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Liked: 17

My Go Pro has not worked yet for me. I am probably going to try a camera from Jonathan Scarallo also. Group A racing is his group and Ric used one in Montreal with no issues.

CM

Liked: 53

FC/F2000 cars are THE toughest cars on in-car cameras. It is very difficult to get a system to work on one of these cars and the vibrations to make it not turn off, or if it did stay on not have crazy waves in the video.

Race Optics EVO unit does it perfect. The unit Monte is talking about Ric using is a Race Optics EVO and we have sold alot of them and have had a tremendous success rate, does that mean its perfect and that there is a 0% chance of something not completely wonderful can happen to it? No, because it is electronics but when you compare it to the other brands its very far ahead of them.

We are also a dealer for Replay and when it comes to putting them on a roll bar I do not recommend it. BUT the nice thing about replay is that it is very small, very light, and compact so you can stick it on the side of your helmet as a visor cam which gives an AWESOME view. It vibrates when you turn it on to let you know its on and vibrates again when you hit the record button o let you know its recording which is nice, because with all-in-one units there is always that question mark with them.

I do not recommend the TACK Cam for Race Optics it does not do well with race cars, fantastic for water sports and stuff along those lines but not for race cars, as Jim noted and thank you for the kind words on our service.

There are other brands some of which we have sold in the post and ditched the brand because the product did not meet our standards and deal with sadly.

We have a discount for ApexSpeed Members and if you would like more info or demo footage with these units PM or E-Mail me
    Group-A Racing
    Blue Marble Cocktails Radical Cup & Exclusive North East Radical Sports Car Dealer
    (631) 974-4379
    www.GroupARacingTeam.com

Thread Information