Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Contributing Member
    Liked: 17

Default 2012 Solo Nationals CM/CML Entries

I'm pretty stoked about attending Nationals this year, but I have to say I will miss Pete and Jim very much. Hopefully their co-drivers have found new rides?

We are bringing 2 entries for the ladies' class, both are pretty quick. Carol Wong, who has an AML jacket, and Avril Morrison who is prety darned quick. Here's a video of her first event in the car:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7GlBW...ature=youtu.be

In CM, Yarko Petriw (who came in 2nd in 2009) can't make it due to school commitments, but Richard Arienzale is co-driving with me and we have been pushing each other to find fast times. He is brilliant with keeping a car on a knife edge, and taking a lesson from Andy Howe I am more about attacking and line choice. Our goal is to learn from each other and aim for top pax spots wherever we go, including nationals!

Who else is in for 2012?

Let's keep a roster:

CM:
    89 Richard Arienzale
    189 Mike Marich

CML:
    89 Avril Morrison
    189 Caron Wong

Liked: 9

If I make it, I'm looking for an "arrive and drive" scenario. Other commitments (like a trip down under in October) limit my ability to take an extended amount of time to prep and transport a car to Lincoln. But... I am definitely interested if someone is looking for a co-driver.

Andy <--- On line and on time, just don't ask me to ride the knife edge of control

Liked: 10

I'm planning on attending for the first time since 9/11 (2001).

Dick

CM 85
    85 Van Diemen

Liked: 3

I plan to be there, what I drive is TBD. I don't see the CM car being ready enough to warrant the tow and may jump into something else.

Quote Originally Posted by mwood View Post
    I plan to be there, what I drive is TBD. I don't see the CM car being ready enough to warrant the tow and may jump into something else.
    Don't let that stop. I don't see my driver (me) as ready enough to warrant the tow either but I plan on being there anyway.

Dick

If Dick is going and he is out of practice, then maybe I would have a chance to not be last in the standings
    Mark
    1990 Van Diemen, the Racing Machine, CM AutoX, 2016 Frontier
    You can try to make a street car into an autocrosser or you can do a lot less work and make a race car into a great autocrosser

Liked: 0

Mark and I are in. Assuming nothing unforseen. I'd love to see the CM entry count in the upper 20s this year!
    Nick M.
    Driving - your car if you'll let me.

Liked: 6

My wife and I are planning to be there. My wife will run in CML if the class forms. Thanks to Arvil and Carol, it looks promising.
    Sho Torii
    1985 Citation FF1600

Quote Originally Posted by mwizard View Post
    If Dick is going and he is out of practice, then maybe I would have a chance to not be last in the standings
    Mark
    That was my point.

FYI my first Nationals was in 1977 in a DS Datsun 260Z.

Dick

Liked: 74

I'm planning to be there, assuming all the new engine stuff works out. I'll either have the Stig or somebody similar as a co-driver I too hope our numbers are in the high 20's. I think that a lot of us have a fairly large investment in CM (and a little financial investment too) and keeping our numbers strong goes a long way towards ensuring we have a place to play for a long time.

Barry Ott
    196 CM, '95 VanDiemen/Honda

Barry,

Shall I register as your co-driver?

Andy
    Stig wannabe

Liked: 1

My wife and I plan to be there. We suffered a minor engine problem. Once that is fixed I should be able to get an event or two in. Enough seat time to give Dick a tough run for the last spot! I hope we can get a car count that starts with a "2".

Doug

Liked: 309

Default 50/150 CM...

Barring any work/life interruptions, I am planning on attending. Peter Calhoun has a standing offer to co-drive so we may see him as well. As always, looking forward to it.

Grid photo of last year’s crew attached.
    Last edited by -pru-; 11.16.16 at 10:20 AM.
    Chris Pruett
    Swift DB1

Quote Originally Posted by DougW View Post
    Enough seat time to give Dick a tough run for the last spot!

Doug
    Can't a guy get any respect?

Back in the day I trophied every year but one in CM . . . of course that was 10 years ago.

The Lane's vintage FF used to lock up last place for us.

Are you still going to Blytheville?

Dick

Dick,

I hope you know I was just razzing you. I expect you will be way faster than me!

CM at Blytheville is in doubt unless the good folks with the motor pull off a miracle. I'll know more in a day or so.

Quote Originally Posted by DougW View Post
    Dick,

CM at Blytheville is in doubt unless the good folks with the motor pull off a miracle. I'll know more in a day or so.
    What went wrong with the motor? FYI I know you were razzing me.

It will be a shame if you two cannot make it to Blytheville.

Dick

Quote Originally Posted by -pru- View Post
    Barring any work/life interruptions, I am planning on attending. Peter Calhoun has a standing offer to co-drive so we may see him as well. As always, looking forward to it.

Grid photo of last year’s crew attached.
    I hope we need a wide angle lense this year :-)

Barry

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Ott View Post
    I hope we need a wide angle lense this year :-)

Barry
    Like this one from 1998: 30 open class and 8 ladies class.

FYI we still use the camper van shown in the picture as our tow vehicle.

Quote Originally Posted by Dick R. View Post

YES!!

Great picture, thank you!

This year, I say we put Dick up front, and the three podium finishers right behind him, cars and all!

What went wrong with the motor? FYI I know you were razzing me.

It will be a shame if you two cannot make it to Blytheville.

Dick
    The number two rod bearing went on a permanent vacation (complete disintegration, the other bearings were fine). Peter C. and Jim Justice have been great and are helping (OK so Jim is doing the work ) put the motor back together. One con-rod, bearings and the crank. The rest held up. Woot! Stout little motor. Loeb Motorsports is handling the heavy lifting...errr cleaning up of the sump and lines. Brian has been great and is giving me a first class education on the inner workings of the noisy end of the car.

So far this car has led to me meeting some awfully good folks, starting with Peter Calhoun and going on from there. That rocks.

We really want to make Blytheville...while I suspect the motor will not be ready I am ever hopeful!

That is a seriously cool pic. I think the other tow vehicle is Saunders. He still uses it as well to drag the Dragon...

I hope to be in about 10 of those. Starting with this year!

Great picture, Dick. I am mulling over the trip, maybe with Mike Wood as co driver.
    Mark
    1990 Van Diemen, the Racing Machine, CM AutoX, 2016 Frontier
    You can try to make a street car into an autocrosser or you can do a lot less work and make a race car into a great autocrosser

Doug,

Any idea what caused the failure? Unexpectedly tired bottom end that picked that bearing to be the weak point? Oiling issue? Too many revs too often? Or, more likely, "just one of those racing engine things"?

Thanks!

Doug,

Any idea what caused the failure? Unexpectedly tired bottom end that picked that bearing to be the weak point? Oiling issue? Too many revs too often? Or, more likely, "just one of those racing engine things"?

Thanks!
    Not enough left of the bearing to diagnose. The other bearings showed use but nothing abnormal. Chalk it up to "racing engine things". Can't wait to get it back!

Default Nationals Practice or Test & Tune Event?

Can anyone fill me in regarding the Nationals "practice" or "test & tune" event at Lincoln during the Pro Solo weekend? Does it fill "immediately" like the Toledo Pro did yesterday (I was wait listed at 8PM Eastern on the first day of registration . . . ). It isn't looking good for getting into the Pro Finale with at best (if I make it into Toledo) 2 Pros.

Desperately seeking seat time on high quality concrete with only the Peru Tour on the likely list.

Thanks,

Dick
    Raleigh, NC

Dick,

The Test & Tune slots at Nationals last year filled out pretty fast but not "immediately" like you experienced with the Toledo Pro. Test & Tune course stays open the whole week (even during the competition) and you buy a slot(s) consists of one hour window. Let's assume they will take 20 drivers for each slot, you can imagine how many slots can be available for sale. Last year, I successfully bought 3 slots that I wanted (I didn't get to go to Nationals and gave my slots to my friends).

IIRC, registration for T & T will open about a month ahead and I will get heads up from my friend. I will let you know once I know when the registaration will open.
    Sho Torii
    1985 Citation FF1600

Liked: 238

Last year Ken and I reserved slots but we also bought some at the last second because a lot of people reserve and then don't show up.
    Jim

I wish I understood everything I know.

Thanks guys!

Dick

Mike,

What is the system that you used to take Avril's video? That's exactly I am looking for! With the vehicle speed, lateral and longitude g's and course map, it will be a great learining tool. Any info on the hard and software will be appreciated.
    Sho Torii
    1985 Citation FF1600

Contributing Member

Quote Originally Posted by RudeDude View Post
    Mike,

What is the system that you used to take Avril's video? That's exactly I am looking for! With the vehicle speed, lateral and longitude g's and course map, it will be a great learining tool. Any info on the hard and software will be appreciated.
    Hi Sho,

The video is generated by an application that I have written called Petrel Solo Storm. If runs on Android devices, and you can find out more at http://www.petreldata.com

I'm not going to go into detail until the software is out of Beta. At that point I will purchase a bit of advertising on ApexSpeed and proceed to solicit all of you for your hard-earned money. I know that this place is not really my target market, but I want to do my share to improve CM's PAX =P

Quote Originally Posted by na94 View Post
    Hi Sho,

The video is generated by an application that I have written called Petrel Solo Storm. If runs on Android devices, and you can find out more at http://www.petreldata.com

I'm not going to go into detail until the software is out of Beta. At that point I will purchase a bit of advertising on ApexSpeed and proceed to solicit all of you for your hard-earned money. I know that this place is not really my target market, but I want to do my share to improve CM's PAX =P
    Thanks for the info! It looks really good! I'm definitely interested.

I understand that I will have to have an Android device (this may finally be the time to say good bye to my "dumb" phone) and a video camera (will a GoPro camera suffice?) of my own. I guess we CM'ers are not using the OBD-II reader. How soon do you think the software will come out of Beta?
    Sho Torii
    1985 Citation FF1600

Contributing Member

Quote Originally Posted by RudeDude View Post
    Thanks for the info! It looks really good! I'm definitely interested.

I understand that I will have to have an Android device (this may finally be the time to say good bye to my "dumb" phone) and a video camera (will a GoPro camera suffice?) of my own. I guess we CM'ers are not using the OBD-II reader. How soon do you think the software will come out of Beta?
    Actually you don't need an additional camera, just the one on the phone if you can rig up a suitable mount. There may be an OBD2 solution out there - do you run a traditional data logger with a throttle sensor?

I am not sure when beta will be complete, but I think I can open up sales in a couple of weeks so long as users are okay getting updates for a while.

Let me know when you pick up a phone, and be sure to add yourself to my email list using the form on the web site.

Thanks,
    Mike

Actually you don't need an additional camera, just the one on the phone if you can rig up a suitable mount. There may be an OBD2 solution out there - do you run a traditional data logger with a throttle sensor?
    Camera mounting of a smartphone may be a challenge. In fact in my car any mounting of the smartphone may be difficult.

Seriously on my car a GoPro Hero Wide was terrible even when it worked. Even the Race-Technology cameras have to be hard mounted to the main roll bar on my car since everything else is too flexible and/or vibrates too much.

What do you mean by OBD2 solution for a non-computer car?

Will your software have smoothing to deal with the vibrations, etc. of a typical FF in an autocross? With GEEZ, MaxQ, and even a DL-1 this smoothing is necessary to get viable data IMO.

FYI I have a Race-Technology DL-1 with Video 4 system which is great for after the event analysis. Something quick and easy for between run review would be nice.

Thanks,

Dick

Let me know when you pick up a phone
    I thought about it but I just could stand the idea of me with a smart phone. I will not go there. I will have to convince my wife to get an Android when she needs to replace her Blackberry.
    Sho Torii
    1985 Citation FF1600

Liked: 2

Seriously on my car a GoPro Hero Wide was terrible even when it worked. Even the Race-Technology cameras have to be hard mounted to the main roll bar on my car since everything else is too flexible and/or vibrates too much.
    I tried a roll bar mounted camera, and found it not very useful. Even with the 170 degree lens I was always looking right off the edges of the screen when I watched the video, and when were I wanted to look was on screen it was fisheyed so bad the cones were tiny little specks. Now I run a high-def camera with a narrower lens mounted on my helmet. The sound track is better too, because the camera is isolated from engine vibrations.

Don

Quote Originally Posted by Don Elzinga View Post
    I tried a roll bar mounted camera, and found it not very useful. Even with the 170 degree lens I was always looking right off the edges of the screen when I watched the video, and when were I wanted to look was on screen it was fisheyed so bad the cones were tiny little specks. Now I run a high-def camera with a narrower lens mounted on my helmet. The sound track is better too, because the camera is isolated from engine vibrations.

Don
    FYI for reference here is an example of what appears to be a decent setup with the Race-Technology Video 4 system. It is my current setup. The main strength of the R-T stuff for me is the integration of DL1 data with the video in the analysis software.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6DRBjS25-g

Changed front lens from original 53 deg "standard" to the 90 degree "wide"

Changed the rear lens from original 90 degree "wide" to the 130 deg "ultra wide".

Rear camera inset is set at 33 % in the configuration utility. For Blytheville the rear camera angle will be pointed closer to the car to catch cone distances/hits better.

I don't recall whether I uploaded with the highest possible resolution.

Muffler is 10" SuperTrapp with no baffles. Microphone is near the floor of the car.

Since I tow on an open trailer everything is set up for relatively quick installation and removal. Only the camera mounts and the power connectors/switches stay in the car. The system is NOT water proof and needs to be on the floor in my car so it is "fair weather only".

Dick
    All show and no go
    CM 85

Liked: 309

Default 2012 Solo Nationals Registration link...

Chris Pruett
    Swift DB1

Quote Originally Posted by -pru- View Post
    Thanks Pru!

In for the first time since 9/11.

Dick
    CM 85

I plan on making an appearance at my 15th Nats in my 3rd prep level (Stock, SP, now Mod), in my 6th different class (ES, DS, GS, DSP, FSP, now CM). Looking forward to the challenge!

David "Barry's tire warmer" Fauth
    96 CM, '95 VanDiemen/Honda

Liked: 65

Anyone need a tire warmer? I figure it's a long shot, but folks keep telling me I need to go to nationals.

I was going to co-drive a GS Celica this year but while the car is competitive in it's class it is the most boring, frustrating thing I have ever driven. My daily driver 98 Jetta TDi is more exciting, but then the TDi isn't stock. My RP31 needs some things addressed before I pull it out of mothballs for autocross. It is drive-able as is, but not where it needs to be for consistent competitiveness.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information