Classifieds Super License Skelly's Avatar
    Liked: 82

Default ballisitic battery

Just wanted some advice as to what battery i should get for my 99 VD Honda kit? I was thinking about the ballisitic battery, but not sure was size to get. Any help from the apexspeed group would be great!!!

Thanks
    Sean Kelly

Contributing Member a. pettipas's Avatar
    Liked: 84

Odyssey PC545, great battery, great value, fits late-model VD std. battery location perfectly
    aaron

Liked: 0

I second the Odyssey; I have been using them since the late 90's, and the original battery is still working in one of my cars.

Liked: 20

The odyssey batteries are great but the are heavy. I dropped 11.9 lbs by switching to a ballistic.

If your running a alternator you could most likely use a 8cell but 12 would be better The difference is only .7lbs

If no alternator 16cell and those only weigh 3.5lbs

http://www.apexspeed.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51084

I can give you a good deal but if you want a odyssey I have a 4 race weekend one out of my car I will let go for $70 + shipping it weighs 15.4lbs

Mark
    Mark Filip

Liked: 212

i'd give honda a call and see what they are recomending for a battery. last year we had 2 brand new batteries, in 2 different cars, go bad, one didn't make it a full weekend, other made it about 1.5 weekends. two different brand batt's as wll.

i endedd up installing a Brialle battery in both cars and seemed to be ok for a few weekends, but we ran a limited season.
    Cheers
    Len

Porsche River Oaks. Houston

Contributing Member problemchild's Avatar
    Liked: 4362

The HPD mini-alternator puts out less amperage than most modern car alternators, but our common racecar (wheelchair) batteries don't like the rates they are being recharged at. Battery selection may be much more critical than in previous FF applications.
    Greg Rice, RICERACEPREP.com
    F1600 Arrive-N-Drive for FRP and SCCA, FC SCCA also. Including Runoffs
    2020 & 2022 F1600 Champion, 2020 SCCA FF Champion, 2021 SCCA FC Champion,
    2016 F2000 Champion, Follow RiceRacePrep on Instagram.

For me, that has been the best part of the Oddessy; I had originally used a small garden battery, which would run the car (Supervee), but if I spun, etc., could not even crank the hot engine. The small Oddessy could start the car probably 20 times in a row. As noted, I have yet to have one stop working, and currently have three, in different cars, including the first one bought in '98 or '99.
    The Ballistic sounds pretty amazing, considering the weight per grunt. It will be interesting to see their longevity over time.

revtom

what is your experience with the oddessy battery with the honda engine and alternator?
    Cheers
    Len

Liked: 23

Quote Originally Posted by LenFC11 View Post
    revtom

what is your experience with the oddessy battery with the honda engine and alternator?
    I've used the PC680 with Honda for 2 years now without issue. I used to rotate batteries over a weekend with the Kent (take to hotel to charge, didn't own a generator then) and have yet to remove the battery since installing the honda.

I'm also exploring the Super B LiIon batteries. Fitment may be an issue on my car.

Tim
    ------------------
    'Stay Hungry'
    JK 1964-1996 #25

Len, I'v not used the Oddessy with a Honda in a FF, but have in the following cars: My Supervee, both with carbs and injection, street cars like a Seven powered by a Honda S-2000, and my daily driven Lotus Elise. They accept a quick, hi-amp charge fine, are priced very reasonabley, mount in any orientation, etc. I have a 925 (25 amp) in my Supervee at present, as I am powering a hi-draw fuel pump, and ignition. This battery weighs 11.4 lbs. as i recall, so not nearly as light as the Ballistic, but for my driving level, the difference is zilch, and the cost was arount $120. When running carbs, with a lower draw fuel pump, I use a 16 amp 545 (I think) lighter, smaller, and new at around $75. I have two of these in street cars.

yeah so like i said and greg (problem child) confirms.. the honda may not work well with all batt's.. call honda, they are very active supporting their engines and will have the best advice on which works best
    Cheers
    Len

Thread Information