Liked: 27

Default DOT tires in Vintage FV

The Monoposto rules say that almost any treaded tire is legal including DOT Radials. Is anyone running radials on a Vintage FV and if so, what brand and type? Thanks
    Last edited by rdfrancis; 03.09.12 at 4:12 PM. Reason: spelling

Liked: 22

What are the rules regarding rim sizes? Are you limited to the VW 15" rim?

Liked: 120

4.5 inch wide rim. Rear must be minimum 24.0 inch diameter.
    Mark Silverberg - SE Michigan
    Lynx B FV & Royale RP3 FF
    240Z Vintage Production Car
    PCR, Kosmic CRG & Birel karts

Yes... must use the wide-five lug VW wheel or an aftermarket replacement.

Banned
    Liked: 1116

I don't believe you will find a DOT tire that will fit the FV rim that will be anywhere near competitive with a Dunlop.

the issue is the rear tire diameter. There are several radials which fit the 4.5 inch rim nicely but to not meet the rear tire diameter requirement. Not all clubs choose to enforce the rear tire diameter requirement.

It should not be expected that a radial would be a responsive as the dunlop bias plies. I do not think sufficient camber could be created in the front link pin suspension to make radials happy.

Trying to find a tire that is Monoposto Legal and not have to spend $1000 on a set of 4 plus shipping and mounting. Not an easy thing to find I am thinking. I doubt there are many used sets either like there are for regular FV.

I notice that Hoosier have a comparable vintage tire to the Dunlop. Items 44408 and 44410. Would they be cheaper?

Liked: 174

G.B.:

As someone who is considering the move to vintage FV racing, what are the costs
    for a set of Dunlops vs. Hoosier vintage tires?

Thanks!

Mark

Mark,

Since my previous posting, I have found that Jim Schings has the price of the Hoosier vintage tires on his website. Front $225, Rear $245, which is much the same price as the Dunlops. A set will cost you $1000+ once you’ve shipped, fitted and balanced them.

Guy.

Banned

Yep^^^

....and while the DOT approved: Hoosier A6/R6, Kumho 710, Goodyear EagleRS or Hankook Z214's will all provide a bit more grip than the Dunlop or Hoosier treaded tires you aren't going to get one in a 15" wheel narrower than a 205.

The Continental ContiEco Contact is available in a 145/65 R15 size at $67 each.

They will not be close to competitive to a race tire but they are much cheaper and will fit on the wheel easily.

They do not meet the rear tire diameter requirement - but if anyone complained I would tell them that their ire is misplaced.

Tirerack has a good review of them but I could not find a speed rating anywhere.

If you are concerned about the speed rating you are over thinking the situation. Just spend the extra money and go by race tires.

These are tires for the smart car which has a 90 mph top speed.

Speed rating tires is for sustained speed which you never reach on a race track.

You asked for inexpensive radial tires which will fit the rim.

These are probably your best alternative if you don't want to buy race tires.

End of story.

Mark,

The only reason I asked about speed rating is that one of the Vintage Groups specified a V or Z speed rating (think it was VRG) and just wanted to know what these were. I like the Continentals you suggested and you cant beat the price over the $1000+ tires. Thanks.

Banned

They are "T" rated.

Thanks Daryl!

Liked: 76

Someone(I think it was Jim McDaniel) ran Michelien radials in the "Brundage cup" race at Daytona in 1969 in the hopes that less rolling resistance would equalmore top speed. This was Daytona before the bus stop so it had what amounted to a 2 mile straight. He did not win but I think he bfinished in the top 10. I don't think there is a comparable straight anywhere vintage vees run today. It's also unlikly anyone who buys street radials to save $$ would spend the money on an engine that could take advantage of the higher straightaway speed.
    My personal expierence with Hoosier vintage tires is that they last a long time so the tire cost per event is very low by race car standards.
    butch deer

That is really strange as most all competition tires are not speed rated. While it may seem inexpensive to use the street radials - finding the limits of their adhesion may be espensive as well. Perhaps not a bad alternative for initially finding out if the car accelerates and shifts OK - but braking and handling development will only be fruitful with race tires. Hoosiers are not that expensive on a per race basis - a beginner will probably get 8-12 weekends (that is about 20-30 hours on track) with them

Quote Originally Posted by rdfrancis View Post
    Mark,

The only reason I asked about speed rating is that one of the Vintage Groups specified a V or Z speed rating (think it was VRG) and just wanted to know what these were. I like the Continentals you suggested and you cant beat the price over the $1000+ tires. Thanks.

I guess they were only identifying a speed rating for tires that are DOT.

I don't see a bunch of drivers promoting DOT radials so I guess I will bite the $1000 bullet. Thanks for the advice. That's why I asked you guys. Much appreciated.

Banned

If the rim sizes were different, it'd be a different story.

Just buy some used Dunlops on the cheap....get some seat time, sort out other issues you may have with the car.

Buy some brand new rubber when you need it.

Great advice Daryl. I have been looking for a used set but no luck. I checked with the dealer who sells used race tires (his name escapes me right now) but he did not have any. I am on his list though so maybe he will call me.

Found these thru a Porsche Vintage racing group. They are H rated for 130MPH and are a performance tire. 100-6 and 3000 Healys like them too. Only $110 and they meet the 24 inch tire rule. 165hr15 and fit on a 4.5-6 inch wheel.

http://www.jegs.com/i/Coker-Tire/257...uctId=1578108#

and free shipping. $461 delivered for a set of 4. not too bad

Liked: 174

Nice find! Any thoughts ????

Once you get to the $110 each price range just bite the bullet and get race tires.

If low cost is your objective then you can probably squeeze a 175/65-15 on to the rim.

general Altimax HP is $76 each at tire rack - put the savings into the race tire fund. Sell the generals at a VW swap meet when you are done using them.

Thanks Mark. They look good. I did a search on tirerack for 165hr15 and didn't find any. Should have tried 175.

Thread Information