Liked: 174

Default Toooo quiet lately

It's been so quiet lately, so I was wondering if there's any topic that Matt and I can
    get into a heated discussion over to break us out of these doldrums?

Mark

P.S.: Have a great weekend everyone!

Liked: 27

Default Personal gear

Ok... lets start this one up in hopes it will just be a great info sharing thread.

Just wondering... How many people use things like CoolShirts, Track radios, Camelbacks, etc. I see them advertised but wonder if the cramp up the cockpit or are they really valuable assets on race day.

Liked: 13

Default cool vest

I use a cool vest on really hot days. its a vest with jell packs in the front and rear. they are about 1 inch thick and they stay cool for about 4 hours and will refreeze in an ice cooler in about 30 min. its a bit bulky but its worth it when you are baking in the sun waiting at grid.

I saw a new type that uses a can, that looks like freon, to cool lines in a vest. It looks like you can keep the can on your belt or mount in the car and hit a button when you need a cool shot. Looks interesting and is reasonably priced.

Liked: 0

itsnotfairtheyareentirelytoexpensivenoteveryonecan affordonethatwouldratherspendthemoneyonsomethingel sei tsnotfairtheyshouldnotbeallowedunlessitsaspecitemt hateveryonehastobuyataninflatedpriceitsnotfairitsn otfairitsnotfair. There ya go have at it. Dale.

Still working on the first line... give me a minute.....

Liked: 174

....Give me a day!

I noticed that there are several companies that sell receive-only radios that monitor the safety channels at the track and provide a better/faster notification of track events than the flags would. They have models that have earbud-type headphones that will fit under a helmet. I can see where these would be great at keeping you away from trouble but is it just one more thing to buy and keep charged and find a place for in the already tight FV. Anyone using them? I am surprised that the SCCA has not required them for safetys sake.

Liked: 0

Being that as a corner worker you throw the flags first and then start talking on the radio it's not really going to help you pick up on things faster. For places you can listen to flagging channels you really should have a crew member listening and reporting in short hand to the driver. There is to much going on to really quickly pick something important off the channel and also run your race. Nelson has land lines for corner stations so you can't really listen in anyway. Not sure what other tracks may have land lines for corners instead of radios.
    Mark Swick

Liked: 5

Default cool shirts????

people are complaining that there formula vee's are over weight. Also how can we keep the costs down. Now you tell me people are really using cool shirts,In a Vee? I have a beautiful Motorcoach and with the price of gas for 2012. I will most likely be going to the races alone this year and using my truck and sleeping in a tent. If I go anyplace farther than lrp or nhms. I also know how I keep the weight of my vee, Under control I don't use a cool shirt. It all adds weight.

Not saying FV drivers are using Cool Shirts. Didn't think about the weight factor. Was wondering if they would help keep someone from having heat stroke in a 3 layer suit, plus nomex underwear and shoes, gloves, helmet etc in July In Florida. If you have been to Sebring in July or August, you know what I mean. Looking at drivers school there.

Liked: 6

Default RPCM Cool Vest

Since I race primarily in the SE, I too use a vest, or rather, the packs that go in one. The RPCM Cool Vest is pretty good, but as an earlier poster said it is bulky and can be quite uncomfortable when laying on it in the car. What I have found to be most effective is to have my pit crew place 3 or 4 of the packs (instead of placing in the vest) in my race suit once I am in the car on the grid. They are placed on my belly and sides and when the suit is zipped up, it all gets pulled closer to the body and doesn't move around at all. It is amazing the difference this makes, particularly at a track like Daytona in August or Roebling in June or July. The technology/science of the fluid in these RPCM packs is very interesting and beats placing a real ice pack up close to your skin (even with a t-shirt between skin and pack). This method also attacks the heat at your body core, where I hear is quite effective. I just know that when I get out of the car after a hard fought race there is a distinct difference in how I feel as opposed to no packs at all. As for weight, there might be a couple of pounds, but at that time of the year the benefit outweights the risk of weight penalty....in my opinion.

Thanks for that info. It sounds like it may keep me from a heat stroke in August!! I am guessing that folks in the NE don't have to worry too much about the summer heat like us Southerners.

Thread Information