Thread: Ruggles Scales

Liked: 7

Default Ruggles Scales

ANYONE HAVE ANY INFORMATION ON RUGGLES SCALES, I.E., CALCULATIONS, INSTRUCTIONS, COMPARISIONS TO ELECTRONIC SCALES.
    tHANKS IN ADVANCE
    Johhny Reisert

Liked: 34

Default scale usage

I've used the Ruggles scales for years and seem to have acceptable results. The 2:1 ratio is fine for formula cars. The only calculation is to double the scale reading to get actual weight. ie, on my DB-1, the fronts read 110 lbs per side with the 2:1 lever arm, the actual weight is 220 lbs per wheel. Just like the nice digital scales and platforms, it is necessary to find a LEVEL spot or to shim the scales/lever arms. I have a 8 ft level and check the scales and the lever arms for levelness (is that a word or did I make it up?) Side to side is more critical than fore/aft. I use 2 X 4s to roll the car back and forth and to put it on and off the scales. I usally do multiple readings (at least 3) with the car rolled on and off in between. Best resolution I find is +/- one lbs per wheel, when you double that, you end up with about a ten pound window. Not as good as a digital scale/platform setup. I don't think I've ever lost a race due to an inferior setup, but I've lost a ton of races due to inferior driving.

Any other thoughts?
    dave jalen

Liked: 7

Default Scale use

Found scales on e-bay for less then pegasus racing, have bearings for all four scales and made for road racing so all 4 corners independent. Budget is tight this year and the scales look good and seem to do the job.

I appreciate your help.
    I agree, but it helps to have a balanced car.
    Johhny Reisert

Liked: 0

I realize this is an old thread, but it's directly what I'm looking for. I acquired a set of ruggles scales a while back but there were instructions or pictures of set-up so I'm a little lost.

Does anyone have any pics of how to set up the scales?

Thanks
    Bob Stack, Hartland, WI
    CenDiv - Milwaukee region

Liked: 11

Bob,

Give me a call at Pegasus. I have instructions I can fax to you.

Liked: 0

Thanks Bob - got it!
    Bob Stack, Hartland, WI
    CenDiv - Milwaukee region

Liked: 102

Lever-pivot scales have a fundamental flaw that I describe in detail in Chapter 15 of Think Fast. Because each tire pad sits on a pivot, the car+scale system acts just like a brake bias bar. If the car is rolled off and back on to the left or right of center, the measured wheel weights will change even though the car didn't change at all. Chapter 15 also has a description of a very cheap and easy solution to that problem.

Thread Information