Liked: 6

Default Racing FV1200 from Detroit

After looking at the ApexSpeed FV1200 forum and the FV1200 Website, I'm considering running some or all of the Mosport races to try something different. I cut back and finally stopped racing SCCA FV in 2009. I've been racing FV off and on since 1986 (when we had 20-30 car fields). This series seems to address some of the aspects of U.S. FV Racing and SCCA that I find to be a big disappointment. Your series has a good car count, proper manifold, and spec tires. Also, I detect that this group of Vee Racers love this series. I'm seriously considering running your series based on the enthusiasm that I have detected on this forum and on your website, even though the track distance is further from home. I live an hour+ west of Detroit, but am very happy to make the drive to drink Canadian beer (and enjoy enthusiastic racing).

I have a few questions for all of you and thank you for any input or advice you guys may have. It's refreshing to read the positive comments about the series on this forum.

1. If I want to store my motorhome and trailer between races is there a good place?

2. What are the necessary changes in setup if I convert my Vee to FV1200? I know that I will have to change tires, wheels, and manifold. Are there other changes?

3. Are there Test/Practice days, and what is the cost?

4. What are the entry fees?

5. What is the Master's Class age?

6. How do I get a license? I previously held an SCCA National License, but it has expired.

7. When do you do car tech / registration?

8. Can we stay in our motorhome at the track?

9. What else do I need to know? I don't know what I don't know!

Thanks for any input you guys may have. I currently have a Mysterian M-2 but I also have a Predator P3 and Caracal C collecting dust.

It's refreshing to read the comments on this series and look forward to your input.

Thanks,

Rich Styczynski
    (586) 292-0820

Contributing Member Steve Bamford's Avatar
    Liked: 619

Good to hear, you won't be disappointed.

1. There are a few RV dealers & plenty of storage facilities within a short drive of Mosport to store your RV & trailer.

2. I think you covered the only changes. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

3. Test days are on Friday prior to the weekend races. Prices are in the $250.00 range if prepaid I believe.

4. Entry fees were $375.00 for one practice, one hard luck practice, one qualifying & three twenty minute races over the weekend.

5. I believe Masters class starts at 45.

6. There were drivers running with SCCA licenses, FIA licenses or CASC licenses. Might be easiest to get your SCCA reinstated.

7. Tech is done at the track on race weekend or you can show up at other events & have it done. They will accept SCCA annual if you have one.

8. Yes, no charge to stay at the track. Many people do.

9. Anything you miss our group of drivers will be more then happy to help you out.

Hope to see you out.

I am sure others can add to this list above.
    Steve Bamford

Also, if you or any others wanted to try out our series we could come up with a set of rims & tires to rent for the weekend. Some possibly might even donate them for a few beers

There are a few Mysterians in the class so if you need something for your M2 we will likely be able to help.
    Steve Bamford

Contributing Member
    Liked: 86

What's the difference regarding the manifolds?
    Matt King
    FV19 Citation XTC-41
    CenDiv-Milwaukee
    KEEP THE KINK!

Here is what what I found from Guy quoted in an earlier thread to help answer the question. I believe this was to avoid having to have a thousand dollar manifold to be competitive.

Quote Originally Posted by G.B. View Post
    Essentially the FV and F1200 regulations are the same, but there are several minor differences and the inlet manifold is the most significant. The swelled manifolds are not legal in F1200.

Guy.
    Steve Bamford

Thanks Steve. If there is a way to work out some help with the tires, wheels and manifold for the first event it would be great. The fact that we can't spend $1000 on a manifold is in the spirit of FV. I never understood how SCCA ever allowed that kind of escalation of cost to happen. By the way, I don't have a $1000 manifold!

I am confident amongst our group we will be able to help out without an issue.
    Steve Bamford

Liked: 105

Great News, I think everyone will be happy to help you get started.

In some of the previous posts on the F1200 forums, some teams have offered up wheel and tire packages for any friends south of the border that would like to come up.

If you would like to buy a set, the tires can be had in the US for about 80-90 each and will last you close to 2 seasons including doing all the test days.

There are many teams you can speak to about any changes you have to make to your car, but aside of wheels and tires, i think it is just the Manifold issue, so no $1000 manifold.

If you would like to collect full points and compete for the championship or Masters (if you are over 45) you would need to become a member of the F1200 association.

On a side note, the wheel and tire package will add 50lbs +/- to the car weight. We also do not require a Fire System or Arm Restraits. HNR's are manitory this year.

Mosport is an excellent track, if you have never driven it, you will have alot of fun! You also may want to consider doing Calabogie this year, it is farther away, probably another 2 hours, but just a great track.

For points of contact Bill Vallis, might be good starting point (Vallis Motorsports) he build the BRD but is considered the "factory" team for the series. Rice Race Prep and AVR are also a couple fo others that can help out.

Good Luck, hope to see you this summer!

Noel

Contributing Member problemchild's Avatar
    Liked: 4361

If you have 3 cars, I am sure atleast one of them would have a manifold legal to Cdn specification. Most SCCA-legal manifolds more than 7-8 years old will be included. The OD of the bends must average less than 1.030". There are more dimensions to verify, but that would be the critical spec.
    Greg Rice, RICERACEPREP.com
    F1600 Arrive-N-Drive for FRP and SCCA, FC SCCA also. Including Runoffs
    2020 & 2022 F1600 Champion, 2020 SCCA FF Champion, 2021 SCCA FC Champion,
    2016 F2000 Champion, Follow RiceRacePrep on Instagram.

Liked: 36

Rich,

Brace yourself for driving thro Toronto area on the 401 hwy tho ,especially on a Friday,try and miss rush hour times AM or PM.Just keep thinking when you get to Mosport you can relax with Canadian and with the choice of 3 cars maybe go home with,look forward to seeing you at the track and in the MASTERS Class if you are an old fart like me.Just a note FTDA(F1200 Assoc) membership is $150 a year.

Rich,

Dont think you can come racing with us and get the young Canadian ladies at the track..Steve,Noel and Greg at RICE RACING get all the women hanging around their paddock..its sickening..unless you look like of course.

Liked: 22

A couple of other considerations.

As Steve mentioned an SCCA license is acceptable and quite a bit cheaper.

However, a Canadian can race at regional level at an SCCA event with a CASC licence, but still needs to have SCCA membership. Thus, I think it would be necessary for those using SCCA licences to be a member of a CASC associated club, when racing in Ontario. Most in F1200 racers join BARC at a cost of C$40.

Also there is membership of the Formula Twelve-Hundred Drivers Association (FTDA) to be considered at C$150.

Guy.

Quote Originally Posted by G.B. View Post
    A couple of other considerations.

As Steve mentioned an SCCA license is acceptable and quite a bit cheaper.

However, a Canadian can race at regional level at an SCCA event with a CASC licence, but still needs to have SCCA membership. Thus, I think it would be necessary for those using SCCA licences to be a member of a CASC associated club, when racing in Ontario. Most in F1200 racers join BARC at a cost of C$40.

Also there is membership of the Formula Twelve-Hundred Drivers Association (FTDA) to be considered at C$150.

Guy.
    FTDA membership is strongly suggested but not required. You can't race for points without it though. I don't believe you need to be a member of a club such as BARC but also suggested.
    Steve Bamford

Liked: 22

Your ‘CASC Club’ is a requirement on the race entry form, perhaps they don’t enforce it.

Guy.

Contributing Member problemchild's Avatar
    Liked: 4361

Yes, you do need to join a local club.
    Greg Rice, RICERACEPREP.com
    F1600 Arrive-N-Drive for FRP and SCCA, FC SCCA also. Including Runoffs
    2020 & 2022 F1600 Champion, 2020 SCCA FF Champion, 2021 SCCA FC Champion,
    2016 F2000 Champion, Follow RiceRacePrep on Instagram.

Thanks for all the info so far! I figured from previous F1200 (sorry I used FV1200) posts that the group might welcome a foreigner. I'm fairly sure I will do this, especially with the replies so far.

By the way the Mysterian is the only real vee, the other 2 are "investments" waiting for the garage queen FV market to explode. I've been waiting 10+ years so far and I'm pretty sure it won't be too long now! Now if anyone wants other fantastic investment advice............

Thanks, Rich

Liked: 51

Welcome Rich

Your my hero already,like the Warren Buffet of Formula 1200

I cant wait to tell my wife somebody else invested in a Caracle C

lLook forward to seeing you

Desmond

Liked: 200

Rich,

Glad to hear that you are considering making the jump across the border. I represent AVR, and I think we will be able to come up with a set of year wheels and year old tires for you. First weekend costs a round of beers after the last race of the day!

Also to touch on the weight issue. Noel mentioned our package is 50lbs heavier, but our min car/driver weight is 50lbs higher just for that reason so you shouldnt have any differences for weight with your car up here.
    Shane Viccary
    #27 Citation-Zink Z-16

Liked: 0

Rich, I was in the Dearborn area yesterday doing some shopping, had I known maybe we could have met.

I think everyone has answered your questions and beyond. such a great group to be a part of.

The only other thing I can add is that although I'm in Ontario my car still uses its SCCA logbook and that's what i present for annual tech and race weekends.

As GB mentioned it would also be much cheaper to present an SCCA license as well if you can, rather than going through all the various clubs up here.

Track Time: 60 mins of racing (3x20 min races OWN GROUP) + 20 minQ + 15 in Pract + 10 min Sunday morn Hard Luck (if you need it) 1:45 min total track time.

Crossing the border doesn't seem to be too big an issue if you have all your documents and registrations handy. Greg Rice might have some more information pertaining to that as he does it all the time.

I dont believe you would have to make wholesale car setup changes either going from slicks to radials.

Also, Al Spadin out of Penn. made several trips up last year and is planning on doing the same again in 2012.
    Andrew McMurray
    London ON
    aandrewwmc at hotmail dot com

Same here,I bought my Mysterian in the USA and used its SCCA log-book all the time in Ontario till it ran out of pages and CASC gave me a new one end of last season(2011).

Liked: 105

Look at it this way, the amount of beer's being requested, seems like you WILL have a great weekend either way...
    Last edited by nbrigido; 01.30.12 at 8:16 PM.

I want to thank everyone for their posts. Today I renwed my SCCA membership and will beg for forgiveness to get a Regional License so that I can race with you guys. Maybe I can provide some input to U.S. FV movement for change or recruit more F1200 participants based on my experience. However, I believe Greg Rice has raced F1200, U.S. FV (I think) and Formula FST and despite many posts on the FV site, the FV community continues down the same old path. As for picking up all of the Canadian chicks, my wife says "good luck with that".

Liked: 0

Rich I think you'll be very pleased you dusted her off....i mean the car not your wife
    Andrew McMurray
    London ON
    aandrewwmc at hotmail dot com

Hey Andrew or any of you Canadian people,

Anytime you're in Michigan you have an open invitation to come visit! We are eight miles from MIS in the Irish Hills and live on a lake (although were not Irish, and the beer is not Canadian, but it is cold)! We're about an hour from Dearborn. Don't be strangers.

Rich

Liked: 19

Rich,

i'm in livonia, if you want to stop by some we can chat about FV. alot of your questions have been answered already.

We have 2 cars that we run.

Terry 248-514-7255
    Terry Abbott

2-Vector FV's
    1-SM Miata

Thread Information