Contributing Member Robert J. Alder's Avatar
    Liked: 301

Default FSV 1.8 Oil pump Question

Guys. This Lola T-620 FSV (FA) I'm bring back to life has a mystery in its oil plumbing. I'm new to FSV so seeking advice. This car runs the 1800 cc motor (for FA) which has a dry sump pan which has two outlets. Each outlet was plumbed to the two scavenge ports (the rear most stages) on the six port pump. I'm told this is a Titan pump. Not sure if this pump was "standard" on these engines.

Here's a picture of the pump. Those two oil lines from the pan were plumbed to the two rear scavenge port on the bottom of the pump, which exit at the top of the pump. But as you'll note, the rear-most stage was plugged on top so that stage was not forwarding oil.

All that begs several questions:

1) Is it essential to evacuate oil from BOTH pan outlets?
    2) If so, why in the hell would the prior installation block off the top port on that stage of the pump? Why not just not plug the pan's outlet?
    3) If both evacuation ports are needed and actively exiting from the pump. is there some hardware to "Merge" the two lines into one before going to the oil cooler (and then to the dry sump reservoir)?
    4) Could there a problem of pushing two evacuation stages into one line before going to the cooler? You know 10 lbs in a 5 lb sack?

Any advice appreciated.

Liked: 309

Can you post a larger photo, Robert? I have a 1.8L FSV engine in my CSR, but can't see enough detail in that postage stamp-size photo to tell anything.

Second, are you certain that the blocked off stage is not the pressure stage, and that it is feeding through the pan to the stock pickup? This approach is sometimes used...you need to be sure before going any further.

To answer a couple of your questions, though...

My engine evacuates from only one of the pan outlets, so it must be okay.

My Toyota engine merges two evacuation stages into one line going to the cooler, so that too must be okay. I guess it just flows faster and possibly at higher pressure, but in any case it works fine at 10k rpm.

Hope that helps...post a larger photo.
    Stan Clayton
    Stohr Cars

Contributing Member Robert J. Alder's Avatar
    Liked: 301

Stan,
    Thanks for your input. Here's a link to a bigger pic.
    http://zoom.host-care.com/~teamterr/underground/image-hosting/Pump.jpg

Since my posting someone told me there is probably "a couple of holes or a slot machined in the housing of the pump, to form 1 camber out of the 2 parts of the muti-stage pump". That would make sense as a way to "merge" the output of those two adjacent stages. I'll examine the pump for those internal merge slots. I'll try to remember to let this thread know when I affirm it.

I also note that they went with a larger AN fitting for the presumably "Merged" exit port. That too would make sense, although not sure it was really necessary.
    Last edited by Robert J. Alder; 01.29.12 at 2:10 PM.

Contributing Member Rick Kirchner's Avatar
    Liked: 1490

An internal passage was the way it was done on the older TDC pumps. You could use either the front or rear outlet, or both, depending on your packaging constraints. Since then they have a block machined that fits over the two scavenge stages externally. Probably more room for a bigger connecting passage and the ability to place the outlet wherever it's needed.

Thread Information