ApexSpeed Photographer Dennis Valet's Avatar
    Liked: 60

Default PHOTOBOOKS - The official 2011 Year In Review photobook

The perfect Christmas gift, a thank you for your sponsor, or simply a memento from the 2011 racing season, the 2011 Year In Review Photobook will look fantastic on your shelf or your coffee table.

The book, printed by Apple's printing press, is of the highest quality. Photos are printed in stunning 300dpi on professional glossy paper. The book itself is a massive 13 inches by 10 inches closed, spreading to 26 inches when open. Included, are a printed hardcover and a printed dust cover. I cannot stress the quality of this print, it is at a professional level and is not simply some supermarket novelty.

Featured in the book, among other things, is a six page write-up for each race weekend, filled with huge photos and a summary of the events. Every driver that participated at a race during the 2011 season is in the book at least once, as a full driver roster is included.

Each book will cost $100.00, shipping included. This is not a profitable endeavor, as $100.00 is "at cost" when shipping is included. Apple has a lead time of two weeks on their printing; therefore, if you wish to have your book by December 25th, please put in your order and pay by December 5th.

All purchase requests can be sent to Dennis Valet at dennis.valet@gmail.com

Orders will continue past December 5, but please mind the deadline if you wish to have the book by Christmas. Please visit Apple's printing site if you would like more information on the quality of the books they produce.

http://www.apple.com/ilife/print-products.html

Some Sample Pictures - a driver roster page and the VIR writeup. Sorry for the watermark, but you can understand why it might be needed! These photos are of two 13x10 inch pages next to each other, so that if you drew a line down the middle, that would be the binding.

The Cover

Again, I did not produce this book to make money. $100.00 is going to get me to break even on the books themselves. These books are of fantastic quality. If anyone saw the book TJ gave to Tim Kautz at Mid Ohio, they can vouch for these prints. The F2000 book will be identical to the F1600 book, except filled with F2000 details, of course.

As an additional option, if you would like your car on the cover of the book, I can arrange that for $50. It's a significant amount of work to change the cover, but at $50.00 I can justify the extra work, and the book will have that extra touch of customization for yourself.

If you order three copies of F2000 book, and want the same cover on all three, that's just a one time $50 charge, not $50 for each book. However, if you want the same picture on both versions of the book, or you want different covers on each book you order, they will be $50 each.
    Last edited by Dennis Valet; 12.01.11 at 3:43 PM.

Liked: 3787

Dennis,

Wow!!!

Having just finished up a little 35 page book for Remy, we know how many 100s of hours you must have invested and what printing costs for that level of quality are. Since you are working for nothing , we want to order one of each.

Liked: 9

Default F2000 Books

Dennis,
    I agree with PF.....they look fantastic. I want to order 3 F2000 books. It will be a great thank you to CellMark Paper for sponsoring both our car and the series. Please post your paypal address if that is the best way to pay.

Happy Holidays and thanks,

Rick Paul

As an additional option, if you would like your car on the cover of the book, I can arrange that for $50. It's a significant amount of work to change the cover, but at $50.00 I can justify the extra work, and the book will have that extra touch of customization for yourself.

If you order three copies of F2000 book, and want the same cover on all three, that's just a one time $50 charge, not $50 for each book. However, if you want the same picture on both versions of the book, or you want different covers on each book you order, they will be $50 each.

Again, just email me if you want to talk about it

Dennis.valet@gmail.com

Updated to include the cover I've chosen, that way you can decide if you want a custom one or not

Liked: 19

How much to put my picture at the center of every book?
    The little white blob at the bottom makes a good spot to put my autograph on... Maybe Best Wishes etc to all my fans...

You can probably sell more if you put more pictures of me in there...... I have a fan base that eats this stuff up... They either want to sleep with it - or burn it.... Either way it's more sales.... Like me - a win, win

I'm thinking like a sexy centerfold type thing..... Likes, dislikes - favorite movies etc......

Liked: 42

Matt - how much do we add for your autograph?

Well - Honestly I'm insulted that I wasn't asked to write the forward... most people know I'm a columnist now - most read article in F2000 championship history.....

It goes like this....You have a target audience of about 25 people without me in the mix..... With me, it becomes more like 25000~100K.....
    On top of that, all I see are 1600 pictures in the sample..People like medicare debates better than F1600 (and most of the 1.6 guys love both). you might as well go out by the highway and take a picture of every chevette that goes by.....

I've already gotten hundreds of emails asking me to sign their copy..... Here is what I'm going to do...... Monty will set it up..... I'm kicking off a mailbag portion to my F2000 column ~ view from the top..... The series will buy a book - I will sign it because I'm guessing if Dennis wants to sell any, he is putting many pictures of me in there.... The email I select to answer will get the autographed book as a thank you.. And, if it doesnt happen - that just means the series is too cheap to buy one....I have to think the bill for racing with ARCA is saving enough money to buy a $150 book (Extra $50 for my picture on the front...).

If I sign it at the track - since I love F2000 and always want to give back, I'll sign the book for $25 - that I will donate to the series sponsored charity SOS Children's Villages

I'm off to finish my next column

Contributing Member
    Liked: 215

Has anyone thought of an intervention or counseling for Matt? Fast on his way to become the modern George Plimpton of F2000. Unfortunately the title "Out of my League" was already taken.

For you "fine utes" too lazy to look it up Plimpton was a writer who pretended to be an athlete.

Jim,

I got home from work and just read Matt's stuff. I was thinking... " I wonder if there are folks out there that don't know Matt, and....." It's scary.

Needless to say, I'll be looking Matt up to autograph my yearbook.

Heterochromic Papillae starkejt's Avatar
    Liked: 3

Well, I never met him, but it is comforting to know that there exist people more ingratiating than I.

Having had the profound experience of meeting Fast Matt, Josh, and Wren all on seperate but multiple occasions for each, I can safely say their Apexspeed personas are almost a full 180 degrees different than their real world personalities. That, i find to be a real shame.
    It does explain why such class acts as Glen Philips, and Brandon Dixon let Matt and Wren hang around their respective paddocks. And, in Josh's case... well, we all know there is no explaining Tommy's thought process.

180 degrees? I believe you aren't giving me enough credit. 360 at a minimum.

I'll agree to 540, but not 360.
    I was going to say 1,800, but it made me dizzy.

If I were to grow the mustache back, what angle would I subtend?

Time out while i go look up "subtend" in my Websters.

Here you go.

Almost have it calculated... but... would you be smiling or frowning with that mustache? Calculating the direction of that arc is critical to the final answer.

Hell, i'm still trying to understand your, Pare's, Wren's, and Nathan's discussion of stainless tubing and how to weld it. Then in the middle of that thread you guys went off on a aluminum tangent of which i have yet to understand the subtend.

My mustache is a scalar.

Let me help. You can't weld stainless to aluminum without an explosion, and subtend is a verb.

I've seen sub tenders offshore of St Marys nuc sub base. Looked like nouns to me.
    ...now looking up scalar...
    This site is truly educational.

I don't know what's worse, Matt M's humor or these posts about angles!

Dennis,
    You aren't supposed to be on Apexspeed. You have a pressing deadline to meet. Get back to work on my book order. Christmas is coming.

OBTW, if you declare it a tie between Matt's humor, and the geometry class... all will be offended.

boy, some of you people are sensitive to that medicare thing I see..... Like Steve and his FE comment a while back - I'm just misunderstood...... And if you want to twist that into me saying all FF drivers are not real race car drivers - thats fine with me.... There needs to be a rivalry there....

I can't believe I'd be lumped in with a guy who's best line is - by the written rule you're right, but in my opinion you're wrong.....

Buy a book from Dennis - he does take great shots... So much so he makes wingless formula cars look good......

OBTW to my friends south of the MD line - I'll be in Savannah in a couple weeks to finish the job....

Liked: 151

Quote Originally Posted by Matt M. View Post
    I can't believe I'd be lumped in with a guy who's best line is - by the written rule you're right, but in my opinion you're wrong.....
    I must have missed someone saying that.

Updated to include some F2000 pages

Contributing Member ric baribeault's Avatar
    Liked: 258

wren....maybe so....but if the shoe fits. it is formally fast Matt after all

Quote Originally Posted by ric baribeault View Post
    it is formerly-fast Matt after all
    FIFY.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 215

I believe Formerly Fast Matt is the correct alliteration, and historically correct.

Liked: 157

I hate to break up the party here but getting back to the books, I have just finished proofing the race reports for Dennis and if I dont say so myself he has done a terrific job. You've seen the pictures that he and TJ took all year, now they have compiled the best of them (plus lots more you havent seen) into a really nice book that captures the spirit of the entire F2000 year.

Whether you raced in the Series or not, it will be a great book to have on your shelf, something to show friends when they ask you "what kind of car do you race again?"

Dennis has actually expanded the F2000 book with more pages. He and TJ have put a lot of effort into these photos and the books, just for the love of the sport, and I would simply ask that anyone considering buying one to do so, you will be very pleased with it.

Thanks

Tom

Liked: 9

Default Series Books

I am buying a few and will give my sponsor CellMark one for the office. Dennis must have worked very hard on these. I have seen the custom cover he is doing for us and it is exceptional. Maybe it will pay off in potential sponsorship next year! Hopefully he will sell a ton of them. Thanks guys.

I sent this in an email to everyone who ordered a book, but posting it here as well just in case.

Anyone who ordered an F1600 or F2000 photobook,

Soon, if not already, you should be receiving your Photobook in the mail from Apple's printing press.

Unfortunately, it has been brought to our attention that Apple has had an issue with their printing press that has affect some, but not all, of the books that I ordered through them in the past month. On some of the books, Apple did not properly print, cut, and bind the pages. The easiest way to identify this problem is to look at a photo that should take up an entire page, for instance, at the beginning of each race weekend writeup. Those photos should extend to the top, left and bottom edges of the page. If you notice a white border on the edges, that is Apple's mistake - the book was designed to have those photos extend to the three outer edges. On some books, the white border only appears at the bottom of the page, and is not devastatingly ugly or noticeable, on others the white border is on the left or top of the page, and is quite unsightly. Still on others, there is no problem at all. Please bear in mind that there should be a white border in the shadow of the binding, the middle of the book where the pages meet. That was intentional. The problem is a white border affecting the outer edges of the book.

Luckily, Apple has agreed to replace any books affected by their printing mistake, free of charge. If you feel that your book is affected, and would like a replacement, please send me an email. If you have the order number that came with the invoice, please include that in the email, if not, I can look it up quite easily in the spreadsheet I have used to keep track of the orders. Again, this is free of charge, so if you feel the book has been affected, and it bothers you, do not hesitate to email me so I can have it replaced for free by Apple.

Thank you for your understanding,

Dennis Valet

Liked: 6

Just received a book from Chris Livengood with the Work Racing #37 RF00 on the cover...pretty awesome. Great gift. Best part of the cover picture...it has Audette behind us...lol

Bruce Work

Liked: 157

For those who contacted us about problems with the printing of their books, we have resolved the issue with your books and have arranged for Apple to print replacement books. The orders were placed today and you should receive your new book within 2 weeks.

Sorry for any inconvenience.

For those who placed recent orders, those were also placed today and should be on their way to you shortly.

Tom

Liked: 43

The books, even the "flawed" editions that we received, are absolutely stunning. Really well done, more than worth the price of admission, at least 3x. I can't give enough compliments to how much of an eye catcher and memento these books are - anyone who's interested in formula racing at all should have one. They are that good.

Thread Information