Liked: 79

Default Can't access Apexspeed from home with new modem

I was having some dns errors on my main computer and wireless laptop at home. I was able to bring up the apexspeed page when I would reboot the dsl modem. After some research, things pointed to my modemrouter combo. I just installed a Cisco X2000 and some pages come up quickly, while others like Apexspeed just load the picture at the top of the forum page. Same problem holds true on the laptop as, well connected by wireless on the home network.

Any clues?
    Thanks
    Bob

Liked: 1169

Firewall (in modem or router) blocking ports? Try turning it off completely as a test.
    Caldwell D9B - Sold
    Crossle' 30/32/45 Mongrel - Sold
    RF94 Monoshock - here goes nothin'

Liked: 449

What happens when entering http://69.5.1.73/forums/ in your browser? Does it work normally?

If it works fine, then it is definitely DNS. It sounds like it's using cached image files from previous visits when in only enters the header.

So you have a modem/router combo plugged into the phone line provided by your ISP then a Cisco/Linksys X2000 plugged into that and then your home computer plugged into the X2000 and a laptop on wireless? Or is the X2000 the only thing you have between your computer and the phone jack? If the X2000 is the only network hardware on your network, then you will need to enter the config and enter another DNS server on your WAN link side instead of the one being provided by your ISP. You can use Google's DNS server of 8.8.8.8

I would also recommend that you have the latest firmware for the modem/router as well.
    2003 VanDiemen FSCCA #29
    Follow me on Twitter @KeithCarter74

Liked: 79

Thanks all. Now it works intermitently without doing anything. Maybe the new dsl/router was not needed, although I was longing for a N-router to replace the old G.

Anyway, the X2000 is an ADSDL+2 modem and Router combined. No other modem or router is in my home network. I am also getting the "Internet Explorer Cannot Display This Webpage" message on both computers at times. Tried evry solution I googled exept for Keith's. I will give his a try next, along with Tim's suggestion to disbale the firewall in the router.

Do I need the router firewall in my anti virus software has one?

Liked: 449

I would always opt for a hardware based firewall instead of a software based one. Disabling the firewall on your router would be like leaving your front door in the ghetto. Disable the software firewall while on your home network and if you're on a laptop on a public wifi network turn it on.
    2003 VanDiemen FSCCA #29
    Follow me on Twitter @KeithCarter74

Heterochromic Papillae starkejt's Avatar
    Liked: 3

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Carter View Post
    I would always opt for a hardware based firewall instead of a software based one. Disabling the firewall on your router would be like leaving your front door in the ghetto. Disable the software firewall while on your home network and if you're on a laptop on a public wifi network turn it on.
    This. By the time your software firewall on your PC can do anything, the packets have made it to your machine.

Thread Information