Liked: 1

For Sale 86 Reynard - not all there - $3500

I have about two thirds of a 86 Reynard for sale. It is an ex-John Gearhart (Formula 101) car. I have the complete body (whale tail) but missing everything from the motor back. The motor has never been run and was built by the Renault/Ford king Carl Holbrook. It has been stored in a heated garage. 740-398-3669 - Tom.

Liked: 0

do you have any pictures you can post

Liked: 13

Tom; I find your ad hard to understand. You state complete body work but nothing behind the engine?; next if it is from formula 101, I must ask, which engine comes with the package 1600 or 2000? Finally are there rims, transmission, steering, gauges, fuel cell. I need to understand just what the racecar has. Thank you

I will try to explain a little further: I don't have the gearbox, rear arms, drive shafts, rear shocks, rear springs, rear hubs, rear brakes, anything else from the motor back. It is hard to know what I don't have since I don't have it. The motor is a Pinto 2 liter, never been run, built by a friend. Price reduced to $2500. I will try to post pictures.

no gauges, does have fuel cell, bad oil tank, lines, coolers - motor exploded.

Liked: 2

Default TRADE

Would you be interested in a trade?
    Lee

Liked: 0

Default Interested

Post some pictures please, and I'll be more interested ... ...

Liked: 5

Default 86 Reynard

Is it the 86 reynard 1600 0r 2000 chassis. Does it have a push rod front? I have a 86 reynard 1600 but i've been told it is different than the 2000. I would be interested in the parts photos would help.

Quote Originally Posted by LAJ View Post
    Would you be interested in a trade?
    Lee
    what do you have?

pictures of what I have will be posted soon.

Default pictures!!

After laying everything out like this, I would like to put it together. Does anyone konw where I can get the rest of it? Or take it to someone to put together?

Liked: 121

I thought the 84 and 86 were basically the same chassis with some minor changes to some components. This does not look like the 84 I had so I have to wonder if it is not an 85. Could be a good project if you can get the parts cheap enough. If!

Contributing Member
    Liked: 39

I have 2 rear Compomotive wheels , and a set of Bilstien shocks if you're interested....Bruce

Liked: 94

Quote Originally Posted by tmet07 View Post
    After laying everything out like this, I would like to put it together. Does anyone konw where I can get the rest of it? Or take it to someone to put together?
    Just my opinion but based on the pics, you're going to put a LOT of money into the car putting it back together. It needs completely stripped-down and a lot of the parts are not going to be able to be reused.

These weren't the best Reynards and not too many people were able to get them to work well if I remember correctly. For the amount of money you'd put into it, if you'd like a F2000 car of this era you'd be better-off buying an existing 84 or so Reynard or a later Reynard after they abandoned this design.

Just my opinion like I said. I could be way off base since memory isn't what it used to be.

Liked: 7

Default This '86 frame looks like an '85 Reynard school car's frame

http://race-cars.com/carsales/reynar...96838874lc.htm

Except for the extended main hoop, of course. In April 2011 this example was listed at $5500, now at $8500.

Rick Kean

Quote Originally Posted by lucky13 View Post
    Just my opinion but based on the pics, you're going to put a LOT of money into the car putting it back together. It needs completely stripped-down and a lot of the parts are not going to be able to be reused.

These weren't the best Reynards and not too many people were able to get them to work well if I remember correctly. For the amount of money you'd put into it, if you'd like a F2000 car of this era you'd be better-off buying an existing 84 or so Reynard or a later Reynard after they abandoned this design.

Just my opinion like I said. I could be way off base since memory isn't what it used to be.
    I agree...

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Kean View Post
    http://race-cars.com/carsales/reynar...96838874lc.htm

Except for the extended main hoop, of course. In April 2011 this example was listed at $5500, now at $8500.

Rick Kean
    Are you saying this one is for sale?

Liked: 7

Are you saying this one is for sale?
    It's not my car, but yes, that's my take. Check out the car's listing at the top of the page, here:

http://race-cars.com/carsales/reynards.htm

Rick Kean

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Kean View Post
    It's not my car, but yes, that's my take. Check out the car's listing at the top of the page, here:

http://race-cars.com/carsales/reynards.htm

Rick Kean
    Thanks Rick...Canada? Will I get it back without them tearing it apart looking for drugs? That is what I'm looking for though.

Default Larry, you out there?

I understand Larry Oliver is the man. How can I get him to chime in?

Contributing Member
    Liked: 8

Default It's an 86!

This chassis was originally built as a 1600 car, but probably converted by Gearhart to 2-liter. The 86 Reynards that were built as 2-liter cars were very similar to the 83/4 cars. The 86 would have the rear rockers of the 83/4 car--so they were probably sold off. The 86 used fabricated uprights, while the 85 used a casting that was the same on all four corners. 83/4 uprights are not the same as the 86.

The good news is that this car used a standard Hewland Mk 9 gearbox casting, and not the expensive (and rare) Reynard casting used in 1987 and subsequent.

Personally, I find this car to be one of the prettiest cars ever made. It would be expensive to build up the car, but the parts are all available. It would work if someone has another 86 for parts...

Larry Oliver
    International Racing Products
    Larry Oliver

Default You ask and shall receive!

Quote Originally Posted by Larry View Post
    This chassis was originally built as a 1600 car, but probably converted by Gearhart to 2-liter. The 86 Reynards that were built as 2-liter cars were very similar to the 83/4 cars. The 86 would have the rear rockers of the 83/4 car--so they were probably sold off. The 86 used fabricated uprights, while the 85 used a casting that was the same on all four corners. 83/4 uprights are not the same as the 86.

The good news is that this car used a standard Hewland Mk 9 gearbox casting, and not the expensive (and rare) Reynard casting used in 1987 and subsequent.

Personally, I find this car to be one of the prettiest cars ever made. It would be expensive to build up the car, but the parts are all available. It would work if someone has another 86 for parts...

Larry Oliver
    Larry, thank you! I just, today, found out that the rear clip that I am missing was stolen and probably sold for scrap. It pisses me off so bad that I am bound and determined to put this thing back together. Which brings me back to you, Larry, how much? I know you got the ****.

Default reynard

PM sent

Contributing Member

Default Parts prices

It's really a shame if the stuff was stolen and sold for scrap, because it's really expensive to replace it all--which is why I'd focus on finding as much used stuff as possible. Here is a start to what you would need and rough order of magnitude pricing:

Uprights, 2 x $500
    Bearings, 2 X $175
    Flanges, 2 x $200
    Rotors, 2 X $165
    Outer flanges, 2 x $200
    Rockers, 2 x $500

There are still a lot of components, such as rod ends, radius rods, brake calipers, etc. Everything is available. The scarce commodity is cash. If you wish, I can provide firm prices, but the above numbers are close.

Thanks,
    Larry
    703-759-0567
    Larry Oliver

Liked: 3787

tmet07,

Be careful where you are going. At a minimum it will take 250 hours to rebuild that car (if you know what you are doing). The parts bill alone will be far more than the worth of the assembled car when complete. The engine rebuild alone will outvalue the car.

The rear was probably not sold for scrap. The gearbox was probably sold to one of possibly hundreds of folks that needed a hewland. It was the only valuable piece to move for quick cash.

Just saying, if you want to get into CFC racing there are far easier and less expensive ways.

Liked: 2

Default Camers shy!!

It was not easy and I think most of the 86Reynard's in Europe were not the same.I did manage to find a picture of this model Reynard SF86 !! I Googled to get this picture!!The Vintage Racing League is where I found it!!
    Lee
    Last edited by LAJ; 11.13.11 at 2:21 PM. Reason: because I can

Classifieds Super License
    Liked: 11

Default ???

Quote Originally Posted by LAJ View Post
    It was not easy and I think most of the 86Reynard's in Europe were not the same.I did manage to find a picture of this model Reynard SF86 !!
    Curious as to where you found the photo... not from Europe, but taken in our garage at Miller. BTW, the car is for sale.

Default $?

Quote Originally Posted by Motorsport Services View Post
    Curious as to where you found the photo... not from Europe, but taken in our garage at Miller. BTW, the car is for sale.
    How much?

Classifieds Super License
    Liked: 11

Default Reynard SF86

How much?
    2 to choose from. $10k each. Email or call for details.

Motorsport Services
    (435) 783-2933
    motorsportservices@allwest.net
    Last edited by Motorsport Services; 11.13.11 at 10:40 PM. Reason: Can't spell for s@#t

Default 86 reynard

Photo of 86 Reynard raced last season at FRCCA. Would you be interested in parting with one of the Tail sections? I have the molds but not good with fiber glass.
    Last edited by jayhoogen1; 03.09.17 at 7:42 AM.

Contributing Member

Default 86 Tail

I may have an 86/1600 tail in stock--up in the storage area.

Larry Oliver
    703-759-0567 most evenings until 9:00 PM eastern
    Larry Oliver

Default Larry has it.

Quote Originally Posted by jayhoogen1 View Post
    Photo of 86 Reynard raced last season at FRCCA. Would you be interested in parting with one of the Tail sections? I have the molds but not good with fiber glass.
    As you know from the pm(s) I have a pending offer for everything pictured. Looks like Larry has you covered.

Default Utah, crap...

Quote Originally Posted by Motorsport Services View Post
    2 to choose from. $10k each. Email or call for details.

Motorsport Services
    (435) 783-2933
    motorsportservices@allwest.net
    Email sent. Are you ever in Ohio?

Default Sold!

The car has been sold. Thanks to everyone for giving me input. Special thanks to Lee, Scott, and Larry. Turns out I am too big for this car. I plan to start another thread for cars that a 6', 180lb guy can fit in, comfortably.

Thread Information