Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Liked: 553

Default A decent field size

The wings & things group is filling up pretty well. Almost 30 cars at this point.

http://www.motorsportreg.com/index.c...D06A7EE7A5B5DC

It will be fun to watch. I hope the warmer temperatures return for Nov 2-5.
    Racer Russ
    Palm Coast, FL

35 car field with five FB's plus JRO entered in the FS class.

Liked: 30

Why FS? Are there no fuel rules in FS?

Liked: 0

Default Really?

More positivity for the class, thanks Russ.

Heterochromic Papillae starkejt's Avatar
    Liked: 3

If you cheat, and get caught, I don't think it's reasonable to shift the blame onto someone that makes a joke about it after the fact.

Is JRO going to give the BMW powerplant another go? Just curious if that project is still ongoing.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 60

I'm wondering if the museum of fine art will ever race this masterpiece.

http://www.apexspeed.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41719

Liked: 3787

I think he withdrew when he saw that Butch put Klutsenbaker and Eakin into the same run group.

So much danger of oil getting on his car if he attempted to lap us.

Ben said the organizers need to put up a better tow fund if they want him there.

Classifieds Super License Brands's Avatar
    Liked: 0

Quote Originally Posted by RussMcB View Post
    Ben said the organizers need to put up a better tow fund if they want him there.

Very Funny Unfortunately the old ecomomic malaise has spread to my house and I just can't justify running it this year although I'm trying to get a test day organized in the not too distant future. It would be a shame to get it dirty though. I'm probably the only person continually developing the car without even running it! New rear wing endplates will be finished tomorrow!

Contributing Member glenn cooper's Avatar
    Liked: 136

Default Bro Ben:

(Spoke in the voice and inflection of Stewy Griffin):

"If you'd like to come up on Sat morn and mockup one of your carbon nose's on my car, you know, just to help with getting the word out and all, I'd not put up much of a fuss and could probably hand you tools, or perhaps fetch a cup of tea, say around 4?"

35 car field with five FB's plus JRO entered in the FS class.

It's up to 40 cars in the group now.

Eight are F1000's.
    Racer Russ
    Palm Coast, FL

Liked: 84

2 CFC's in that group, really? is that even safe? what is the closing speed from say a dsr/csr/FB to a CFC? makes me wonder

Liked: 151

Butch is doing the best he can by trying to move FC and CFC into the small bore formula group. It is not ultimately his decision though, it is the SOM's decision.

The closing speed would be substantial. 20+ mph with more than a 20 second per lap difference from the front of the field to the back of the field.

I think we should move FB into the small bore formula group or make group 8 race first. I have LSU-Alabama tickets.

Quote Originally Posted by Wren View Post
    Butch is doing the best he can by trying to move FC and CFC into the small bore formula group. It is not ultimately his decision though, it is the SOM's decision.

The closing speed would be substantial. 20+ mph with more than a 20 second per lap difference from the front of the field to the back of the field.

I think we should move FB into the small bore formula group or make group 8 race first. I have LSU-Alabama tickets.
    Oh, man. Are you really going to that game? I'm jealous.

To put the CFC vs. faster cars in perspective, the test day tomorrow will have ALL formula and sports racers together on track together. That means FV, FST, CFF, F500, etc. on track with FA, FB, FS, C/DSR, etc. Talk about closing speeds.

I'm an optimist, and like to think the drivers at the ARRC will have the necessary skills to be out there together.
    Racer Russ
    Palm Coast, FL

Liked: 151

Oh, man. Are you really going to that game? I'm jealous.
    Well, I'm going to as much as I can make it to after the race.

To put the CFC vs. faster cars in perspective, the test day tomorrow will have ALL formula and sports racers together on track together. That means FV, FST, CFF, F500, etc. on track with FA, FB, FS, C/DSR, etc. Talk about closing speeds.
    Going back and watching Brandon's video from morning warmup in May is informative. In a 10 minute session he laps a vee twice and at one point he goes by the vee on the back straight somewhere in the middle with an insane speed difference.

Liked: 80

updates or times?

pit reports you should be ashamed of yourselves!

-J

Liked: 710

Not sure if this is current:
    http://livetiming.net/scca/ars/html.asp
    Mike Beauchamp
    RF95 Prototype 2

Get your FIA rain lights here:
    www.gyrodynamics.net/product/cartek-fia-rain-light/

Liked: 80

Unless I'm missing an input option or something, that only shows current or just-finished session info, not results from earlier sessions etc...

-J

Contributing Member

From live timing this is what I have
    7 FB Brandon Dixon 01:21.4 Tuscaloosa AL
    43 FB Glenn Cooper 01:22.5 Roswell GA
    46 FB Russ Werner 01:25.0 Park City UT
    9 FB Jason Slahor 01:25.7 Ellicott City MD
    1 FB Dennis Baran 01:36.8 Bloomfield Hills MI
    72 FB Thomas Schwietz No Time Winchester VA
    83 FS J.R. Osborne 01:19.9 Greenwood Village CO
    Last edited by Mike Holland; 11.04.11 at 5:11 PM. Reason: Text formatting

Liked: 84

1.19.....What is JR running??

Heterochromic Papillae starkejt's Avatar
    Liked: 3

FS. Some carbon parts that are not FB compliant. Says his engine (Suzuki) is FB compliant.

Contributing Member

Default Live Audio

I am not getting the live audio. Are they not broadcasting yet?

Liked: 2

Quote Originally Posted by Wren View Post
    The secret is to use tungsten. It's 70% denser than lead.

And not much less expensive than gold.

F1000champ

I went to the ARRC this past weekend and met all the FB drivers. Unfortunately, I didn't get to meet Tom Schwietz as he packed up early.

Great group of guys and I'm looking forward to them all being in the Championship next year.

Glenn Cooper won the Race in FB and JR Osborne was really flying in FS. Dennis Baran was sorting out his new Speads and Jason Slahor was tuning up his Van Dieman. Brandon Dixon was looking strong until a problem with the fuel system sidelined him. Russ Werner was giving the Phoenix a run and finished 2nd in FB.

Liked: 21

Default Congratualtaions Russ!

[FONT=Tahoma]The 2011 American Road Race of Champions (ARRC) at Road Atlanta is officially in the record books. A weekend of ideal Autumn racing weather provided a competitive stage for racers to persue the checkered flag flat out. Phoenix Race Works would like to congratulate Russ Werner for his second place finish behind no other than than Glen Cooper, a former SCCA National Champion in an eight car field. [/FONT]

[FONT=Tahoma]Werner was able to battle his way through the field and hold off six other F1000 racecars in a Phoenix Race Works F1K.10 from the Team Roberts Racing rental program in LaGarange, Georgia. Team Roberts Racing provides the Phoenix racecars as rentals for the weekend, and that's all Werner needed to finish on the podium. Congrats Russ and Team Roberts Racing for another successful racing weekend! [/FONT]
    Dustin Wright
    Phoenix Race Works L.L.C.
    www.phoenixraceworks.com

The guys that make up Roberts Racing out of LaGrange are great!
    Especially their supply of blue brake fluid.

Last edited by Purple Frog; 11.29.11 at 10:19 AM.

Liked: 21

Default Podium Pics?

Does anyone have any pictures from the podium?
    Dustin Wright
    Phoenix Race Works L.L.C.
    www.phoenixraceworks.com

I think Keith Roberts took some. I was too busy with the champagne.

Quote Originally Posted by Wright D View Post
    Does anyone have any pictures from the podium?
    Unfortunately I did not take good podium pictures (had to see about some other competitors), but below are a few pics.

I am looking for ARRC photographers. I'll let you know if I find out anything.
    Last edited by RussMcB; 10.08.12 at 10:11 PM.
    Racer Russ
    Palm Coast, FL

Default Yo D.

There actually was no podium type deal this year.
    There were driver interviews, but no actual champagne spraying.

Oh... .... I thought we were supposed to drink it.

Default Said the man who took the Pro Paddock Uphill Hairpin

at about 30mph in the motorhome pulling the trailer!
    Probably more impressed with that move then the CFC win - ya kept it outta the trees!

Contributing Member Mark Walthew's Avatar
    Liked: 34

Default The Happy Winner

Glenn celebrates his win.

Liked: 30

No podium celebration for the FB race, but lots of smiles seen around the impound area. Big frowns in the Citation paddock. And yes, the Moho heading up the hill at speed was impressive! I had to do the quick change and run, as I was trying to catch a flight. Headed to Europe to fly 376 troops home for thanksgiving. (Typing this from germany).

My race was uneventful, watching Coop jump Dixon at the start and then trying to chase them both around a track they could drive with their eyes closed. Dixon was spewing fluid, even on the pace lap, culminating in an exciting Citation fireball after a couple of laps. I guess some wire that makes it go got toasted and shut him down. Fortunately the fire didn't last long. I was able to hang with Glen for a few laps following a safety car restart, but he slowly pulled away and I was driving a bit over my head trying to keep up.

The low sun was interesting, as I couldn't see s### from turn one to turn five, but I could see Coop leaving me behind! From there I just tried to drive a smooth race and not abuse Keith's Phoenix. Doing that I was able to keep Jason Slahor at bay and secure a nice 2nd place finish.

Lots of wrecked cars through the weekend, so I was glad to keep all 4 on the pavement for 3 days of racing and focus on getting faster. Having never run Road Atlanta, I was impressed how big the nut sack needs to be to run fast there. I did manage to get faster every session I was on track and that was one of my goals. Beating the boys from down south was the other, but that was a stretch. I may have to come back again for that one!

Thanks Keith Roberts Racing for a great ride and to Keith, William, and Rick for keeping it screwed together and Kyle for driver support. If you want to rent a competitive FB ride, this is it.

Congrats to Glen on another great victory.

Russ Werner

Liked: 66

Default Congrats

Congrats Glenn! Sounds like you were in fine form, to say the least. Pulling away from Russ is something that I can only dream about. Speaking of which, way to go Russ! Jumping in a different car and taking 2nd - nice work, my friend.

Sounds like it was quite the eventful weekend. Wish I could have been there (even though I would've watched Glenn and Russ pull away.)

John

Russ - I was very impressed with your qualifying time, in fact your whole weekend went very smoothly.
    Road Atlanta has got to be THE mindblower of all, except for maybe Mosport that is!

I could not imagine rolling in here all innocent like with a dab of moisture behind each ear like a new born pup like you did AND making the podium, missing the top step by one.

Pretty impressive, but not at all unexpected. In fact if you had not been on the pace I would have been extremely disappointed.

Rd A takes quite awhile to learn. I have been to a few tracks that take maybe 5 or 6 laps to figure out - this ain't one of 'em!

When you factor in the massive amount of slower class cars (some of which were driven so slowly and eratically as to be quite dangerous) from the Test Day, it would be really hard to string the dots together in time for Q1.

This was actually my third ARRC win, having won with my FM in FS in '04, and ASR and overall win in the George Smith Swift DB4 Viking in '06.

This year's ARRC was quite good to the locals: (The other)Russ McBride in FF, my GT2 buddy Dernehl, Downing in CSR and Overall for the group.

Thankfully I got my car straightened out in time from the Test Day clutch woes, which saw me miss only the cold and blustery Q1 Friday morning. I have forgone that early AM session in years past as it just seems to eat cars and sure enough, one of 'em got chomped on!

Later that day in Q2 it was almost a repeat as I got sideways pretty hard in T1, right at the apex. I saved it, but was now way too wide to keep it on the track, did about a 270 in the grass waaaaaaaaaaay up the T1 hillside, rotated around and end up basically paralell to the wall, almost facing the right direction. I got it back on track at T3 and gave it a couple of whips and all was good, so kept on going.

The race itself was kind of processional: I got a great start and passed Pole Sitta Dixon before we got to T1, saw a pair of FA's directly ahead in T1 rub tires, which lead to one of them spinning off to the right, which then alllowed me to whip it out and around, and pull some distance on those behind, due to the mandatory liftage that occured...

The track felt very greasy, from all sorts of fluids laid down no doubt. I got so incredibly sideways on entry to T6 on the first lap that I was sure it would loop, but somehow got it gathered back up. For the rest of the race I did not go through there anywhere near what I normally do, it was sooooooo gre-Z!

It was really just another DE weekend - Go fast enough to win, yet slow enough to not break something.

With the F1000CS coming up next year, I did not want to so much as scratch the car, and that pretty much wraps it up.

Liked: 1

Russ Werner's pace was even more impressive considering that he only had two complete test sessions in the Phoenix on Thursday. The first session was black flagged after one lap, and it started to rain early in the last session of the day. So prior to Saturday's race, Russ had only experienced a total of about 45 laps around Road Atlanta. And as far as I know, he did not put a wheel off the track all weekend.

Nice job!

Default Oh yeah...

Forgot to mention - these cars do very nice victory lap donuts!

I of course chose a spot off the racing surface and Rd A is quite accomodating for this, as just before you get to the T11 bridge there is a loop of pavement on the right for the Drift guys to use, and IT is the perfect place to set fire to a set of Hoosier's.

Suprisingly not much smoke; maybe I shoulda kept it on the boil for a few more laps?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information