Liked: 42

Default Watkins Glen Finale

Should be a banner weekend for the F2000 Series at Watkins Glen.

Huge entry list > http://www.f2000championshipseries.com/drivers.html

Can Audette sweep again??

Liked: 142

FatBoys are headed up in the fatplane as soon as the weather clears at the Elmira airport.

whats the word from the track? Is it raining?
    Awww, come on guys, it's so simple. Maybe you need a refresher course. Hey! It's all ball bearings nowadays.

Liked: 0

Default Raining

12:10 pm Friday. Started raining during F2000 session, coming down harder now. F1600 up at 2:10pm.

yeah just spoke to Walko he said we "missed nothing" so far. Still here on LI waiting for the damn weather to clear so we can fly up!!!!!
    Awww, come on guys, it's so simple. Maybe you need a refresher course. Hey! It's all ball bearings nowadays.

Liked: 3787

It was pretty impressive to see 32 beautiful f2000 cars lined up on the grid.

It got wet as the session went on. Now it is pouring rain.

Quote Originally Posted by Purple Frog View Post
    It was pretty impressive to see 32 beautiful f2000 cars lined up on the grid.

It got wet as the session went on. Now it is pouring rain.

i heard from monty that the rain might have kept a few guys off track this AM (why run in the wet if's it's gonna be dry the rest of the weekend?) and that we're closer to 40 once they go out and charles and I show up

Liked: 19

Default Set it straight

I'm boycoting this weekend because I never received my Thank You card from the series for the color commentating gig at Lime Rock. The Radon guys wanted me there - but I told them I was tired of being used and abused by the series - free autographs, free pictures with the kids and ladies, free comments - it doesn't stop.... Time to loosen up the purse strings if you want the full affect.....My agent in Medford is waiting for the phone call...

That twitter feed is pretty funny.... Looks like Cole wears a mask now - if I looked like that, I'd be wearing a mask to.....

Wait don't go to twitter and look - just join me in the boycott....

Occupy Apexspeed!!!
    Last edited by Matt M.; 10.14.11 at 3:01 PM. Reason: affect not effect - maybe infect?

Liked: 91

Quote Originally Posted by Matt M. View Post
    I'm boycoting this weekend because I never received my Thank You card from the series for the color commentating gig at Lime Rock. The Radon guys wanted me there - but I told them I was tired of being used and abused by the series - free autographs, free pictures with the kids and ladies, free comments - it doesn't stop.... Time to loosen up the purse strings if you want the full affect.....My agent in Medford is waiting for the phone call...

That twitter feed is pretty funny.... Looks like Cole wears a mask now - if I looked like that, I'd be wearing a mask to.....

Occupy Apexspeed!!!
    I hide behind my mask, not behind my Apex account and past accomplishments like someone I know....

Quote Originally Posted by Matt M. View Post

Occupy Apexspeed!!!
    I am a bit curious, mate - how come you are not at Watkins Glenn?

Classifieds Super License
    Liked: 492

'Cuz not even Matt gets to play for free in this series......he asked and once again I ignored him.
    His tender little feelings may be tweaked a bit, but for what it's worth, his "color" at Lime Rock was actually quite good and g rated....

Liked: 25

Default Degrees of Wetness

Mike:
    It is interesting to note that the FF and FC times are just about the same, with FF a little faster. How would you compare the degrees of wetness for the Q2 sessions? What is the effect of wings in the rain?
    - Frank C

Liked: 19

Mike - I was starting to wonder if you got any of my emails..... I think you had something to do with my deal falling through....... Didn't want me back out there ahead of the frey... Thanks for the kind words - but "we" are still planning to occupy Apexspeed! As soon as we have demands - everyone will know

Truth be told I'm having issues with my back this week..... I kind of used the rain as an excuse not to be there.... First time Radon has done it without me - it's sad, but the guys need to learn to do it without me (as long as they don't think they can do it without me, when they get back..... )

Until Dennis can get here to do justice to this great field... a little fall color on the lap before the bottom fell out.
    Last edited by Purple Frog; 11.29.11 at 10:20 AM.

Dang. Radon is looking pretty sleek. Great photo.
    Ken

A blurry un-scientific study in frontal area.

Lots of different chassis makes, and many variations on the VDs...

Last edited by Purple Frog; 11.29.11 at 10:22 AM.

Contributing Member ric baribeault's Avatar
    Liked: 258

Brendan, a little late on the thread but you're scarring me. I realize it's been 30+ years since I've traversed the skies on the taxpayers' dole, and while mach + is a little different from a mooney(?), have things changed so much that you shouldn't know the weather at your destination? Just a thought ......ric

Liked: 309

Default Congrats to Rob Nicholas!

2nd place overall in today's race, and first among the Masters...way to go Rob!
    Last edited by Stan Clayton; 10.16.11 at 5:52 PM.
    Stan Clayton
    Stohr Cars

Contributing Member
    Liked: 215

Something about SE Florida drivers sweeping WG ,good job Kyle, good job Chinky and Normy.

Two great F2000 races today. Kyle swept them.
    No rain. Overcast and blustery.

It is pretty impressive to watch ~35 cars take the green.
    In the first race Tim Minor lead all but the most important lap. Kyle made his pass going into the inner-loop. Late into the race, Ardie went headfirst into the rubberband wall coming onto the pit straight, and got a ride to the hospital. He was back in time to crack jokes and sit smiling up front at this evening's banquet.

In the second race, Kyle pretty much lead from the get-go. But the battles from 2nd thru 10th were pretty exciting. Early on, it appeared Minor broke a half-shaft and backed into the same spot Ardie had already softened up a few hours earlier, but with less damage to car or his body.

I thank Steve Lathrop for his helping with the post accident evaluation of Ardie's car. It was great to have someone with his expertise look it over and share opinions. The bottom line: though the chassis was a write-off, it did a great job of protecting Ardie. The driver's capsule stayed intact and did its job. Both Steve and I would like to see possibly a more effective front attenuation device. Having the wealth of talent on hand this weekend to lend expertise was pretty special. Ralph Firman (ex VD, current RFR), Don Sievenpiper (Piper), Nathan Ulrich (Radon), and Steve Lathrop (Citation) were all on hand for the weekend. Quite a bit of car building expertise in one paddock.

The best season ending banquet to date was subdued due to the tragic news of the day.

Quote Originally Posted by ric baribeault View Post
    Brendan, a little late on the thread but you're scarring me. I realize it's been 30+ years since I've traversed the skies on the taxpayers' dole, and while mach + is a little different from a mooney(?), have things changed so much that you shouldn't know the weather at your destination? Just a thought ......ric

It's Charles and thom plane. I'm just a passenger with no aspiration to learn to fly the thing. I was told "too crappy to fly" so that what I was reporting.

Kyle had a pretty special weekend...

Default and thank you guy's !

Quote Originally Posted by Stan Clayton View Post
    2nd place overall in today's race, and first among the Masters...way to go Rob!

With just a handful of laps in the car this year, It was really nice to get a podium in the last pro f2 race of the year.

Our car was really really quick in a straight line thanks to the work and help Rennie & Stan Clayton have done on the diffuser & rear wing combo. Just ask Kyle Connery about the push he received down the back stretch that propelled him clean into the lead for good.
    Below is a list of people to look up if you are looking for lower lap times.

Kevin Firlein / Set up / Data / Driver coach
    Stan & Rennie / Aero
    Paul & Lee Williams / Gearbox
    Keith Burton / Exhaust
    Sandy & Erik / QSRE Motor
    Eric Langbein / Shocks
    Derrick Dong / PFC Brakes
    Doug & Doug JR / Fast Forward
    Peter Kelly / CDS Data

Thank you,
    Rob Nicholas
    #89 F-2000

Liked: 3

Anyone want to post videos of their race? Seems like there were some good battles...
    "The winner ain't the one with the fastest car, it's the one who refuses to lose." - Dale Earnhardt Sr.

Liked: 42

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Rand View Post
    'Cuz not even Matt gets to play for free in this series......he asked and once again I ignored him.
    His tender little feelings may be tweaked a bit, but for what it's worth, his "color" at Lime Rock was actually quite good and g rated....
    Fast Matt is also an award-winning writer.

Check out his column View from the Top: http://www.f2000series.com/blogs/545...m-the-top.html

Liked: 296

Quote Originally Posted by R Nicholas View Post
    With just a handful of laps in the car this year, It was really nice to get a podium in the last pro f2 race of the year.

Our car was really really quick in a straight line thanks to the work and help Rennie & Stan Clayton have done on the diffuser & rear wing combo. Just ask Kyle Connery about the push he received down the back stretch that propelled him clean into the lead for good.
    Below is a list of people to look up if you are looking for lower lap times.

Kevin Firlein / Set up / Data / Driver coach
    Stan & Rennie / Aero
    Paul & Lee Williams / Gearbox
    Keith Burton / Exhaust
    Sandy & Erik / QSRE Motor
    Eric Langbein / Shocks
    Derrick Dong / PFC Brakes
    Doug & Doug JR / Fast Forward
    Peter Kelly / CDS Data

Thank you,
    Rob Nicholas
    #89 F-2000

Was it because you were in his draft?
    Chris Livengood, enjoying underpriced ferrous whizzy bits that I hacked out in my tool shed since 1999.

Liked: 10

Default Video

Does anyone have video to post of the 1st race on Sunday. I think the snowstorm of kitty litter would itself make it worth viewing.

Liked: 2

Chris, Chris, Chris, we can dream, can't we?
    A crazy wind gust overturned our canopy and it broke. As I was trying to hold a piece of canvas over the cockpit in a driving rainstorm, a bunch of people came running over to offer their tents. Vaughn and I especially thank Polestar for making room for us for the rest of the weekend. And Pam's hospitality is simply the best. A close second is Walko/Work/Livengood & Co., especially with Finelli holding court, and plenty of Chris's mom's applecrisp. When Finelli is at center stage, you know they'll let anybody in.
    The unpredictable weather was, in a word, exhausting. The race of the day, in my opinion, would have been the (two-liter) Saturday race in the rain. Too bad that somebody’s car hit the barrels leading onto pit road. It seemed to me, standing pretty far away, to be a low percentage move.
    There were plenty of single car mishaps, and significant damage, but the racing, as far as I could tell from pit-road, was sharp and clean. Except for the first scheduled 1600 race, there were almost no two-car or multi-car mishaps. Really remarkable considering how bad the weather was. A tribute to all the drivers and their crews.
    An interesting little fact, at least for me: in the last race of the weekend, the only three Pinto cars finished 22nd, 23rd and 24th.
    [FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3] [/SIZE][/FONT]

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Livengood View Post
    Was it because you were in his draft?
    One of the best things about racing with the f-2000 championship series is that you get a good idea how your car stacks up against some of the best prepared FCs in the country. Things like how fast you close on cars and how fast they close on you in the draft. My car was working very good on both accounts.

Rob,

The starts at WGI have always been impressive for the F2kCS! This year, no exception.

Back story. Sometimes it looks all so easy to the competitors when we put on races. It almost never is. There is always drama when multiple groups are renting track segments during the same day, and there are only so many minutes of track time available. In this case, in the session immediately before ours, a tintop racer exploded an engine around the heel of the boot, and then drove to the exit of T1. We are thinking WTF!

DSI decides to put down oil-dry. As their trucks pull off the track they start our 30 minute "window" . We either opt to let them drive their tractor brush through the oil-dry for who knows how long, or take to the track. Dave calls for two pace laps to give the competitors a chance to see the conditions, and hopefully help spread it out a bit. (Of course most of the guys chose to drive around it on the pace lap. )

So we started the race now to be known as "Desert Storm". The competitors handled it beautifully. And now we all have something to talk about.

OBTW, the engineers still havent figured out what changes to make to the cars to adapt to oil-dry embedded tires. We hope to not give them another chance to test.

Also, other than the dust, notice how nice the weather was for racing at WGI in october.
    Last edited by Purple Frog; 11.06.11 at 1:44 AM.

Classifieds Super License
    Liked: 492

What the esteemed Mr Eakin, aka Purple Frog, has neglected to admit is that today is in fact his 62nd birthday....
    Have a fine Birthday my friend.
    Social Security will be feeling the pinch very soon !

happy birthday frog!

Default Stupid Monkey Award

One of the coolest things that happened at the banquet:

Stupid Monkey Racing (Rick and Tim Paul) has their own award they give out at the banquet. They are the judge and jury in the decision process as to who receives the award. But this year it could have easily been the "people's choice award".

The Stupid Monkey Racing Award was given to Lenore Panas, along with a $500 check. Probably no one deserves it more.

Lenore has made to whole registration process so effortless, as to be almost invisible. She arrives at the registration building before i wake up. and then sits long hours to be there for those needing assistance. During the season she has done the majority of registrations and waiver sheet signing in the paddock. She never seems to be off duty. If there are late arriving guests, whatever, she jumps in the car and runs back out to the gate to do whatever is needed. She is a super star of customer service!

Heterochromic Papillae starkejt's Avatar
    Liked: 3

I will say without equivocation that Lenore is probably 75% or more of what makes this series great. It couldn't be any more painless getting everyone into the track. Need an extra parking pass? No problem. Someone new to your crew shows up and needs to be added? No problem. Sometimes for registration she even brings the waiver and wristbands to your paddock if the track allows it. It may seem insignificant, but not having to worry about getting into the track or stopping whatever you're doing to leave the track and get stragglers registered is pretty much priceless.

Liked: 2

Registration with F2000 is remarkably smooth and user-friendly.
    No matter how many problems you may have at the event, registration is not one of them.

Liked: 6

I agree, registration is about as painless as it can get. This lady is awesome and a sense of humor to boot. Thanks for making our racing easy to get to.

Work Racing

Thread Information