Contributing Member problemchild's Avatar
    Liked: 4361

Default F1600 Series Thankyou

I have attended hundreds of Regional, National, Vintage, and Pro events over the past few decades and attended 4 of the F1600 Series events this year, 2 as crew cheif, 1 as guest, and 1 as driver (first FF race in 21 yrs). Absolutely outstanding job by Rand and company!

I won't mention any more names because I don't know everybody's names, but they are a team that just took care of business. Customer service and common sense are the two recurring themes in the whole operation. The reworked schedule on Sunday is typical ...... just finding the best way to handle situations that develop.

The little things .... registration, pre-event-tech inspection, dress codes on hot days, communication, etc all reduce the stress levels of drivers, but also those responsible for their cars, thereby creating a more enjoyable weekend for all involved.

Tom and HPD provided support for the Honda crowd. The Hoosier spec tires and trackside support was outstanding. It would not have been 21 years had their been engines and spec tires like there is today.

I would urge those interested in racing in the Series to make it happen. I would also urge SCCA people to welcome the Honda FF racers to their events, but also to apply the customer service and common sense themes to those events, and keep the class growing.

Cheers!
    Greg Rice, RICERACEPREP.com
    F1600 Arrive-N-Drive for FRP and SCCA, FC SCCA also. Including Runoffs
    2020 & 2022 F1600 Champion, 2020 SCCA FF Champion, 2021 SCCA FC Champion,
    2016 F2000 Champion, Follow RiceRacePrep on Instagram.

Liked: 157

Greg,

I am glad you thought to post this thread to allow everyone to thank the series staff for giving us a fantastic season of racing. As you said, everything about the series was over and above what might have been expected. If you have a Formula F or an F2000 and you are not racing with this series you are crazy. This is the place to be for formula car racing.

I would add one more reason to those you listed for racing with this series and that is the racers themselves and their crew and families. We met and raced with so many terrific people this year, "Jimmi" and Grant, The Thompson family, Forrest and Brandon Hull, Caitlan and her dad, the Fosters, Wendall and Slade Miller, Wyatt and his dad. So many more, too many to list, thanks for a great year.

One last thing: all you need to know about racing with the Pro series is summed up in this photo:

It is a long walk from the FF paddock to the podium at WG and I am sure that after Sunday's race Tim was disappointed and probably could have used some time to himself to wind down, but Tim was the first person there to greet Bill after the race and congratulate him. Tim, Paul and Nick, you guys are fun to be around, really tough competitors and are the definition of "class act."

Take care.

Tom

ApexSpeed Photographer Dennis Valet's Avatar
    Liked: 60

I challenge anyone to find racing as deep as this series. Everywhere you go in the field there is a multicar battle.

The battle for 2nd

The battle mid pack

the battle just slightly further back

Just looking at the results sheet and the gap between competitor you will see consistently across the board that just about everyone is within a second of the competitor in front of them at the line. Saturday morning the top 7 drivers were within 1 second of the person in front of them in a huge pack. It just doesn't get better than that!

I want to thank the series for not treating the F1600 crew as second class citizens compared to the F2000 teams, something they very easily could have done. The F2000 series has more competitors and is more established, yet the stewards approached both series in the exact same manor, never preferring the F2000 crowd over or at the expense of the F1600 crowd. They seamlessly added another series to a successful formula, and I give them a lot of credit for making the series so successful in its inaugural year.

Liked: 3787

Races put on by racers.

Everyone on the staff is pumped, but adding another step of coolness to both Series this year is the quality of the photos being produced that capture the spirit.

Thanks Dennis and TJ for your work!
    Last edited by Purple Frog; 11.29.11 at 10:22 AM.

Heterochromic Papillae starkejt's Avatar
    Liked: 3

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Valet View Post
    Tim, Paul and Nick, you guys are fun to be around, really tough competitors and are the definition of "class act."
    No offense to those guys, but I'd say your family has cornered the market on that.

Liked: 553

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Valet View Post
    Greg,

I am glad you thought to post this thread to allow everyone to thank the series staff for giving us a fantastic season of racing. As you said, everything about the series was over and above what might have been expected.
    Yes, thank you, Greg, and I agree with everything posted thus far (and I only attended one F1600 race! :-).

Looking forward to the 2012 season.

Can it possibly match 2011?
    Racer Russ
    Palm Coast, FL

Liked: 56

I'd like to add my thanks to the F1600 staff, competitors and crew for an outstanding series. I've raced all over the country for decades and planned/conducted races with SCCA AZ Region for a number of years. F1600 is without question the best racing I have experienced anywhere.

Kevin
    Kevin
    Crossle 35F
    Van Diemen RF02

Contributing Member Steve Bamford's Avatar
    Liked: 619

Default Agreed

I must agree with what everyone has written in their posts above.

The Formula 1600 Pro Series is the most well run series I have been to. Great competition from the front to the back of the fields.

Unfortunately I was only able to make 2 of the 5 weekends this year however when I was away from the track I was able to get updates via the website. Along with twiter feeds & the great pictures taken by TJ & others it sure kept me in touch with who was doing what. There was even updates on practices!

The series also made what was considered a bold move at the time allowing the 31 mm restrictor for the Honda but made their decision using all available data. They closely monitored the situation throughout the year & were ready to make a change if need be.

Thank you to all the organisers who made the first year one to remember & a year to be a proud participant of.
    Last edited by Steve Bamford; 10.18.11 at 1:53 PM.

Contributing Member problemchild's Avatar
    Liked: 4361

The parity mandate was also acheived with a 50/50 split in race wins and top-10 in points.
    Greg Rice, RICERACEPREP.com
    F1600 Arrive-N-Drive for FRP and SCCA, FC SCCA also. Including Runoffs
    2020 & 2022 F1600 Champion, 2020 SCCA FF Champion, 2021 SCCA FC Champion,
    2016 F2000 Champion, Follow RiceRacePrep on Instagram.

Liked: 679

Default Agree

I agree with all the above. Super job. If you own a FF or a CFF, and you can get to one of their tracks, you ought to be on track with this series. The competition is superb.
    Jim
    Swift DB-1
    Talent usually ends up in front, but fun goes from the front of the grid all the way to the back.

Liked: 6

Default Thanks to all for a great series. A long post.

When Forrest started racing karts nine years ago, I never had any illusions that I was training a future F1 star. My thinking was that racing might be a great way to spend time together, doing something that I, at least, loved, and that he might come to love, and along the way acquire driving and mechanical skills that he could be proud of. What I failed to anticipate was the incredible value of the relationships and circumstances we'd encounter, and their contribution toward a young guy's developing character. Over the six years we karted, then the three seasons of FF, we weathered every variety of triumphant highs and despondent lows, slings and arrows of outrageous fortune, miraculous comebacks, grueling hardships (read: rain soaked weekends) and those magical days when everything goes right and you stand on the podium. Come to think of it, that litany pretty much summarizes this past weekend for us! Well except the podium.

So I'd like to use this post to call out some very specific thank-you's that aren't feasible to communicate in real time. In no particular order other than what comes to mind, and asking forgiveness in advance for omissions...

Bill, Dennis, TJ, Tom Valet: Even if you weren't so wicked fast, Bill, you and your family would still engender jealous admiration as the very model of fraternal support and solidarity. Clearly you guys love racing but the way your support of Bill in so many ways was a major factor in his season, and just inspiring to see.

Jimmy Googliani: Jim, we didn't hang out together, but we sure did learn to pronounce your real name. You wouldn't have any way of knowing this, but at least one young driver was really impressed by your values as a racer. I've seen all the video; nobody raced cleaner or more decently than you. Most of all, though, know that I hold you in tremendous respect for your gracious response to racing's, um, 'vicissitudes.' If you were raced as cleanly as you race others, there might've been a different outcome to the series. Yet I personally observed you display a philosophical attitude that is the very definition of sportsmanship.

Art Foster: We've been on the track with Art ever since Forrest's first race at LRP three years ago. The lesson here for a young guy is that the race is not necessarily always to the swift(est). Your consistency and wily racecraft was a constant, but admired, source of frustration to my driver! When you pass someone, you'd like them to STAY passed, already.
    Pretty much ditto for Steve Oseth.

Mike Scanlan: Holy Cow. Your photo oughta be in the dictionary next to the entry for 'racer.' All season long, your never say die attitude was just inspiring. Some of the lengths you went to in order to take the green are the stuff of legends. And that doesn't even count your pioneering work with the Honda, and your unofficial role as parts supplier to the entire Swift contingent in the paddock.

Colin Thompson, John, Todd & Eric: Molto thanks for sharing the luxurious accommodations of team Thompson. Todd & Eric, you guys are truly inspirational. We had guests on Sat/Sun at the Glen, and when they saw Colin's car on the hook, and I told them you'd have it ready for the race, they flat out didn't believe me. Then when they saw the car Sunday, they literally didn't believe it could be the same car. Privately, I felt the same way when I saw your amazing panel repairs. You have an sickness. And I mean that in the nicest possible way! As for Colin, of course, thanks for the healthy rivalry!

Matthew DiRenzo: Thanks, again, for a fantastic season. Your coaching, indefatigable work ethic, and exuberant enthusiasm for every suspension adjustment or aero tweak made the season a real joy. You made a good car into a great car, which made the season possible.

Mike Rand & Team: Thanks for the entrepreneurial vision, energy, and enthusiasm that resulted in this series. We are not the seasoned veterans that others can claim, and karting is such a mess that the hurdle is low, but this was far and away the best racing experience we've had.

Forrest left yesterday for Columbia South America for the beginning of a year long spanish-immersion that will end up in Spain. He's on a 'gap year' program prior to entering Princeton in the Fall where the plan is to study mechanical engineering. He won't be back in time to race next season, and honestly, after his airborne experience in race two (anyone have video of that?) coinciding with the Wheldon disaster, his open-wheel days may be over. At least with his current sponsor. Regardless, this was a season to remember for all time, and we thank you all again for making it possible.
    Brandon

Contributing Member
    Liked: 303

Default Thank again

[FONT=Arial]I would also like to thank the organizers of the F1600 series for giving us a great place to race and CellMark for sponsoring the Hard Charger award.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial]After I got back from the Glen I found out that I won the Hard Charger award. While sitting in pit lane waiting for the restart on Saturday afternoon I figured I had it locked with 2 cars out on the pace lap and 8 or so more down in turn two. But I also knew my transmission was toast. When I left the grid earlier there was a terrible noise when I shifted to 2nd. It didn't get any better on all the caution laps. But I wasn't going to quit as long as the car would still move. After the race was called (I suggested we "Occupy the Pit line" until they restated the race) we took the tranny apart. I had broken a tooth off of 2nd gear. That explains my sudden spin when downshifting for turn one in morning Qualifying. I couldn't understand why the rear end just locked up, so we spend an hour going over the brakes and found nothing wrong - but then that was not the problem. So after the canceled race I put in the gear I had closest. Not the ideal 2nd gear but better than going home.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial]Part of me really wanted the Saturday race to be restarted and part of me knew the transmission was toast and most likely would not last the race. And did I really want the Hard Charger on others misfortunes?[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial]I should have had 32 not 30 for the Hard Charger but I was just stupid on the afternoon race. I had passed and was leading my 3 car group (racing for last place), came to the Start Finish and there was a waving white flag and I thought - WTF is that? Did the starter grab the wrong flag and we just finished the race? Is there a really important slow moving vehicle on the race track? What else could that mean. I was already stumped by the crossed flags in the morning race. So while I was thinking about this all I lost two places I could have had. Learned later it was a NASCAR 1 lap to go, I think they may have even mentioned it at the Drivers meeting. But hell I at least made this meeting, I wasn't really supposed to pay attention was I?[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial]So what was my secret to winning the Hard Charger award? Finishing all the races I started by maybe not charging hard enough.[/FONT]

Contributing Member
    Liked: 17

Default Hard Charger

Besides the well deserved recognition, what was the award: trophy, money, products?

Just curious.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 303

Default Money

Just good old money.

Ed Callo

Thread Information