Liked: 3787

Default H and N required 2012

By now all of you should know this... really by now, all of you should be with the program... but just in case, we wouldn't want any of you rolling into Sebring for the first January Winternational and be caught by surprise.

Dear SCCA Drivers:

Beginning January 1, 2012, Head and Neck restraints will become mandatory in SCCA Club Racing Regional, National and Driver School events. In December 2009, the Board of Directors approved the motion to require a device meeting SFI 38.1 or FIA 8858 specifications, and the announcement appeared in the January 2010 Fastrack® News.

In an effort to have everyone prepared for the new equipment requirement, we have put together the following information. This is by no means comprehensive, and it is not an endorsement of one product over another. Just as when buying a helmet or any other piece of safety gear, each driver is encouraged and expected to do their own research and select the product that they feel best suits their needs.

Why is SCCA requiring a head and neck restraint system?
    Testing and data support that use of head and neck restraints greatly reduce the possibility of severe injury or death in specific racecar accidents.

Which products are approved?
    Like many of its equipment requirements, SCCA recognizes both SFI 38.1 (www.sfifoundation.com) and FIA 8858 (www.fia.com) standards. You can visit these sites to see their approved list of devices. As of Aug. 10, 2011, the following devices are approved by SFI or both SFI and FIA:

HANS Performance Products – HANS Device (all series)
    Safety Solutions R3 Device
    Safety Solutions R3 Rage Device
    Safety Solutions Hutchens Hybrid Pro Device
    Safety Solutions Hutchens Hybrid Pro Rage Device
    Safety Solutions Hutchens Hybrid/Hybrid Rage Device
    Safety Solutions Hybrid X Device

For more information about these products, including a list of dealers for each, visit:
    - www.hansdevice.com
    - www.safetysolutionsracing.com

What if I use a device not currently approved by SFI 38.1 or FIA 8858?
    Only the devices approved will be permitted and one of the approved devices will be required. These two organizations have strict guidelines for head and neck devices and these guidelines have become the industry standard that SCCA has elected to adopt.

I already have one of these devices. I’m all set, right?
    Not necessarily! Make sure your device has the SFI or FIA approval/certification on it.

If you have a HANS Device....
    - If you have a HANS Device with a SFI or FIA approval/certification sticker on it, you are all set.
    - HANS Devices built prior to 2005 will not have a sticker from SFI or FIA on it and are not eligible for use without it. These devices can obtain the sticker through HANS direct approval. HANS will inspect the device, replace the tethers with an upgrade to the Vision Advantage Plus sliding tethers and ship it back to you upon approval with the sticker for approximately $75. Additional costs may be incurred if additional repairs are necessary. Contact HANS directly to arrange for this.
    - HANS Devices built in or after 2005 but not carrying an SFI or FIA sticker will need to go through the same process as the pre-2005 devices before being eligible for use.

If you have an approved Safety Solutions Device:
    - If your device has a sticker from SFI or FIA, you are all set.
    - If you do not have an SFI or FIA sticker, there are three levels of get it re-approved:
    [FONT=Courier New]o [/FONT]For stickers that have gotten wet and faded or fallen off, devices are inspected by Safety Solutions for cracks or any other anomalies and a replacement sticker is applied. The cost for the inspection and sticker is $5.50 plus return shipping charges.
    [FONT=Courier New]o [/FONT]For $75, the device can be re-webbed. This includes new tethers, padding over the shoulders and webbed fabric replacement. This price assumes all hardware and carbon fiber can be re-used. A new SFI sticker is applied during this procedure.
    [FONT=Courier New]o [/FONT]If the SFI sticker is removed by an event official after a significant incident, the device can be sent for inspection. If the carbon fiber and hardware is undamaged, the device will undergo the $75 re-webbing service. If there is damage to the structure of the device, it will be discontinued from service. If this is the case, be sure to ask about return-customer discounts that may be applicable if you need to replace your device.

Does the SFI or FIA approval expire like seat belts?
    There is currently no time-based expiration for SFI 38.1 or FIA 8858.

If you have any additional questions about the devices, please contact the manufacturers directly.

Please remember that these devices will be mandatory after 1/1/12. Arriving to the grid without one will be the same as arriving to the grid without your helmet—you won’t be permitted on track.

The Board and staff hope that this document has been useful and if there are any more general questions, please contact the staff at 800-770-2055 or at tech@scca.com.

Terry Ozment Deanna Flanagan Janet Farwell
    Club Racing VP Club Racing Manager Club Racing Manager

Classifieds Super License andyllc's Avatar
    Liked: 201

I do think it is good that some form of head and neck restraint will be required.
    I do very much think it is stupid that I have to send my 2 hans devices in to get a stupid sticker put on them and spend $75/each plus shipping, especially when they already have the right tethers on them. Punishment because I had a hans as early as '01. I know it sounds petty but it just rubs me wrong to have to send it in.

Liked: 20

I need to "update" my HANS with stickers too because it was clearly unsafe till the SFI and FIA approved it!!!

/s

Liked: 49

If you already have the new tethers and they're less than 2 years old, I believe the SFI sticker is only 15 bucks.. Not sure if they'll still replace the tethers regardless!

(I do think that it's stupid to require a sticker if they're all legal anyway.. But they mention the officials removing the sticker in case of a crash - wait, what?!)

Liked: 84

Defender is not on the list? I'm glad I decided on the Hans, I was close to getting the defender instead. I guess those that have one are screwed.

Liked: 42

Quote Originally Posted by JohnPaul View Post
    Defender is not on the list? I'm glad I decided on the Hans, I was close to getting the defender instead. I guess those that have one are screwed.
    DefNder is jsut fine. It has the sticker. They just aren't being made anymore.

Contributing Member glenn cooper's Avatar
    Liked: 136

Default Defendr - Didn't know they were not being made

Quote Originally Posted by cooleyjb View Post
    DefNder is jsut fine. It has the sticker. They just aren't being made anymore.
    Was that the result of legal action?

Yeah, not so down with the whole sticker scheme. I've had my HANS since about 2000. I guess I should just send it in to get the UV exposed and damn near ready to snap in half if looked at wrong tethers updated.

Liked: 42

Quote Originally Posted by glenn cooper View Post
    Was that the result of legal action?

Yeah, not so down with the whole sticker scheme. I've had my HANS since about 2000. I guess I should just send it in to get the UV exposed and damn near ready to snap in half if looked at wrong tethers updated.
    I've not heard the reason one way or the other.

It's sorta sad that whoever wrote that letter really didn't do their homework. Gonna cause problems for a number of people in tech I'm guessing.

Also the Hybrid X is really for drag racing. You can't turn your head with it on.

Liked: 19

Default Next!!

Next thing they will do is require that we wear a cup........does the FIA have a stamped cup we can wear??

Liked: 8

Default H&N required

I was one of the few CF drivers that I knew that was using the HANS in 1999 and tried to sell others on it's use.
    I recently had the tethers replaced when upgrading to a new helmet 2 years ago.
    It really p----s me off that I once again have to jump through hoops with this club.
    Explain to me the virtue of having to send it back to Atlanta.
    Does someone on the Board think that maybe I'll try and slip a knockoff HANS through annual.

Greg Kokolus
    NCF #30

Liked: 41

Response from SCCA on the Defender:

Any HNR with an SFI or FIA certification is compliant.

This list was sent as an FYI and it’s not a rule or a complete list. I’d treat it the same way as helmets.

Hope this helps.

-Doug

Doug Gill
    General Manager
    SCCA Technical Services
    1-800-770-2055
    Craig Farr
    2006 Stohr WF1 P2
    FARROUT Racing

Liked: 611

Default HANS stickers

If you need your HANS re-certified (and stickers), and everything else is OK, then the cost of that alone is $15.00. It's any other items that your "old" hans may need or has worn, that keeps it from achieving all the same standards as one that is new, which may increase your total cost.
    In their announcement, SCCA just listed a price, as if everything need would repair.
    If you are going to send in your HANS, go to their Web-site http://www.hansdevice.com and initiate the service "on-line".
    When your device arrives in GA, they can retrieve your information and proceed.
    Keith
    Averill Racing Stuff, Inc.
    www.racing-stuff.com
    248-585-9139

Liked: 679

Default doesn't

It doesn't help with the cash I am out to send my HANS back for a sticker. I just bought a new helmet, and new anchors and new tethers. Now I'm out $75 plus shipping because I had enough sence to buy my HANS before the club mandated it. I'm 100% into safety, but like the man said, how many counterfiet HANS devices have you seen come through tech? Why not require the tethers be replaced and date documented [sales reciept / tag on tethers ]? At least then the competitor gets something for their money. A shiny new sticker won't make my HANS device any stronger, and it's not likely that the device is going to fail from being in the sun 6 weekends a year at 2 hours a weekend on track.
    ---Jim
    Jim
    Swift DB-1
    Talent usually ends up in front, but fun goes from the front of the grid all the way to the back.

Liked: 679

Default more reasonable

Kieth, I like your numbers better. Still, unless there is a problem with device failure, tagging the tethers makes more sence to me.
    Jim
    Swift DB-1
    Talent usually ends up in front, but fun goes from the front of the grid all the way to the back.

Default H and N 2012

At one time, SCCA would allow Tech to count layers of approved uniform material and if correct, you would be OK to race. If your safety harness was in good, operational condition, it passed. Now they want (for good or bad) a label from an outside source, to let them know if your "stuff" is OK. Thus the "HANS" label issue.
    HANS, to comply with SFI/FIA, must make sure it keeps those institutions happy, before they can retro-fit the labels.
    Keith
    www.racing-stuff.com
    248-585-9139

Liked: 202

I hadn't thought about it until just now, but will we begin to see a rash of "tech only" H&N devices? I'm sure the guys on the Grid will not be checking for SFI 38.1 stickers (just that you have something on), so you and your buddies get one "approved" device that ends up going through annual tech multiple times.

Back in the old days you had to have a copy of the current GCR - no requirement that you had actually read it, but you had to have one. Guys would go through tech, then walk outside the building and hand their "communal" GCR to their buddy waiting in line. The same book probably went through 20 tech inspections on a given evening!

Quote Originally Posted by swiftdrivr View Post
    It doesn't help with the cash I am out to send my HANS back for a sticker. I just bought a new helmet, and new anchors and new tethers. Now I'm out $75 plus shipping because I had enough sence to buy my HANS before the club mandated it. I'm 100% into safety, but like the man said, how many counterfiet HANS devices have you seen come through tech? Why not require the tethers be replaced and date documented [sales reciept / tag on tethers ]? At least then the competitor gets something for their money. A shiny new sticker won't make my HANS device any stronger, and it's not likely that the device is going to fail from being in the sun 6 weekends a year at 2 hours a weekend on track.
    ---Jim
    HANS started putting SFI stickers on their devices in 2005. If your HANS is in that vintage and has a sticker, it is good to go
    Craig Farr
    2006 Stohr WF1 P2
    FARROUT Racing

Quote Originally Posted by GT1Vette View Post
    I hadn't thought about it until just now, but will we begin to see a rash of "tech only" H&N devices? I'm sure the guys on the Grid will not be checking for SFI 38.1 stickers (just that you have something on), so you and your buddies get one "approved" device that ends up going through annual tech multiple times.
    I would hope that we have some common sense here. When Tech puts the year sticker on your helmet during your annual, it should apply to the HNR device also.

Good luck on Grid seeing my SFI sticker on the grid while I am strapped in. It is right behind the helmet and low down. They will have to pry my head forward to see it.
    Craig Farr
    2006 Stohr WF1 P2
    FARROUT Racing

Liked: 14

hard to say but I race the entire time with tech only gloves. I had no intention of buying new gloves every time one rubbed on the body work or tub and chaffed. So I kept one brand new pair in the bag for inspection only.

Only 1 inspector , who knew me my entire life, asked " now show me the ones you really wear"
    Kevin Firlein Autosport,Inc.
    Runoffs 1 Gold 3 Silver 3 bronze, 8 Divisional , 6 Regional Champs , 3x Drivers of the year awards

Contributing Member John Nesbitt's Avatar
    Liked: 910

Quote Originally Posted by KevinFirlein View Post
    hard to say but I race the entire time with tech only gloves. I had no intention of buying new gloves every time one rubbed on the body work or tub and chaffed. So I kept one brand new pair in the bag for inspection only.

And that's why the GCR changed a couple of years ago to move event safety equipment checking to Grid from Tech.
    John Nesbitt
    ex-Swift DB-1

Liked: 99

Default H&N Restraints

I don't think anyone is against safety but mandates that require recertifying something can be just a revenue stream for SFI.I was the liaison to the SFI(safety committee) when I was on the BOD.There is no imperical data to support the 2 year seat belt rule either>It is just for revenue to SFI. Many seat belts that are FIA certified and good for 5 years are no better than belts certified for 2 years.

Liked: 126

SFI is (almost) a monopolistic racket. The farther away we get from them the better off we (the drivers who spend our money in the club) are.

Liked: 7

Quote Originally Posted by RobLav View Post
    SFI is (almost) a monopolistic racket. The farther away we get from them the better off we (the drivers who spend our money in the club) are.
    It is a racket Rob. Damn near everything on a top fuel car has to have a SFI sticker. Belhousing, clutches, clutch disk, floaters, engine bags, blower restraints, valve cover bags, reverser covers, nomex seat liners, head surrounds, etc., etc., ....
    The list is neverending and expensive. And most of it has to be recertified every year.

But what are you going to do. Not race is the only option and that sucks worse than paying the racketeers.

Jerry

Liked: 1115

Quote Originally Posted by jerry freeman View Post
    But what are you going to do. Not race is the only option and that sucks worse than paying the racketeers.
    Or pay the lawyers. If there's a difference.
    Caldwell D9B - Sold
    Crossle' 30/32/45 Mongrel - Sold
    RF94 Monoshock - here goes nothin'

Classifieds Super License Charles Warner's Avatar
    Liked: 416

Jerry
    There is another option . . . . choose another sanctioning body.
    Charlie Warner
    fatto gatto racing

'Cause there's bugger-all down here on earth!

Banned
    Liked: 1116

Quote Originally Posted by Tiago Santos View Post
    (I do think that it's stupid to require a sticker if they're all legal anyway.. But they mention the officials removing the sticker in case of a crash - wait, what?!)
    As they should. Pretty substantial hit into a wall/tire barrier and your harnesses should be cut too and you should replace your helmet if it had any substantial impact to the helmet. You do want this stuff to work as designed the second time you might need it don't you?

You wouldn't expect to be able to utilize your suit again if you came crawling out of an engulfed car would you?

Liked: 7

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Warner View Post
    There is another option . . . . choose another sanctioning body.
    I've heard this from alot of people on here and I have the same question Scott Woodruff ask every time.

WHERE IN THE SOUTHEAST CAN YOU RACE A FORMULA CAR BESIDES THE SCCA?

If you can give me an option I'm listening.

Jerry

Classifieds Super License Charles Warner's Avatar
    Liked: 416

Depending on your choice of car there are vintage/historic groups that do not have such Draconian/Machiavellian systems.
    Charlie Warner
    fatto gatto racing

'Cause there's bugger-all down here on earth!

Banned
    Liked: 1116

I've heard this from alot of people on here and I have the same question Scott Woodruff ask every time.

WHERE IN THE SOUTHEAST CAN YOU RACE A FORMULA CAR BESIDES THE SCCA?

If you can give me an option I'm listening.

Jerry
    Every sanctioning body out there started trying to fill a perceived need. If there's that many unhappy folks in an area with no other viable alternative, it should be easy (relatively speaking) to get something off the ground.

Liked: 1115

Quote Originally Posted by Daryl DeArman View Post
    Every sanctioning body out there started trying to fill a perceived need. If there's that many unhappy folks in an area with no other viable alternative, it should be easy (relatively speaking) to get something off the ground.
    Within limits. Some of this is no doubt dictated by the insurers, advised by the lawyers.
    Caldwell D9B - Sold
    Crossle' 30/32/45 Mongrel - Sold
    RF94 Monoshock - here goes nothin'

Liked: 3787

Back in late '04 or early '05 DaveW convinced me to buy a HANS (thanks again Dave ).

Sometime in '05 i received a letter from HANS explaining the certification program for pre-cert devices. I went ahead and spent the $75, and went on racing. Not ever happy to have to spend $75, but it just didn't seem to be that big a deal. The whole SFI cert program is somewhat a sham, but what are you going to do? I just decided life is too short to let it get me down.

Just when you think its no big deal whether you have a HANS or not, you go and have an off like GT1Vette had on July 17th and you become a believer.

Liked: 0

Just for the record DefNders are still available and being shipped daily.
    DefNder G70 Head & Neck Restraint - units in stock!
    www.TrackMart.com

Liked: 324

"If you have a HANS Device....
    - If you have a HANS Device with a SFI or FIA approval/certification sticker on it, you are all set.
    - HANS Devices built prior to 2005 .......... HANS will inspect the device, replace the tethers with an upgrade to the Vision Advantage Plus sliding tethers "

I find it interesting that the sliding tethers are part of this 'program'. I have noticed that many of the top F1 drivers (as well as other series) don't use this 'option'. I was going to ask how many people out there still use the fixed length tethers?
    -John Allen
    Tacoma, WA
    '82 Royale RP31M
    (‘72 Royale RP16 stolen in 2022)

Contributing Member Brandon Dixon's Avatar
    Liked: 127

Quote Originally Posted by scorp997 View Post
    I find it interesting that the sliding tethers are part of this 'program'. I have noticed that many of the top F1 drivers (as well as other series) don't use this 'option'. I was going to ask how many people out there still use the fixed length tethers?
    This is not a commentary on how HANS or SCCA is handling the mandatory H&N issue.

The "Big Boys", F1, IRL, etc don't have to drive through the paddock and try to make sure that they are not going to be run over by an F350. The sliding tethers make looking for traffic in a congested area much more manageable for me.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 47

Quote Originally Posted by Purple Frog View Post
    If you have a HANS Device....
    I'll be writing to tech@scca.com as well as noting this here. The clavicle thread makes it clear that this is wrong; you are not "all set". In addition to the device, you must have proper belt routing and proper HANS device selection (recline angle). Not that the clavicle injuries were caused by improper belt routing, but certainly improper belt routing can make the HANS less effective.

My question is whether improper routing can make the HANS device worse than not having one at all. If that's the case, for this ruling to make proper safety sense, part of the requirement needs to be that the belt routing must be HANS-compatible. Cynically though, this ruling is clearly for insurance reasons for the club (a valid reason, BTW), not safety reasons for the driver. For pure safety reasons, let the drivers do what they want.

Liked: 151

Quote Originally Posted by mousecatcher View Post
    Cynically though, this ruling is clearly for insurance reasons for the club (a valid reason, BTW), not safety reasons for the driver. For pure safety reasons, let the drivers do what they want.
    when this was all being debated earlier it was said that the insurance company did not care whether H&N restraints were mandated. I wrote to the BOD and had multiple members of the BOD confirm this.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 47

Quote Originally Posted by Wren View Post
    when this was all being debated earlier it was said that the insurance company did not care whether H&N restraints were mandated. I wrote to the BOD and had multiple members of the BOD confirm this.
    huh. Well then there should definitely be a tech rule about belt routing to go along with it.

Default H and N required

John,
    You can still get the fixed tethers, the issue is dating (or lack thereof) on the tethers, not the style. SFI is big into things with dates on them.
    It's become very evident that the public perfers the Vision+ sliding tethers on their HANS, over the fixed version, to the point where it is the standard on a new unit.
    Keith
    www.racing-stuff.com
    248-585-9139

Thread Information