Liked: 27

Default Possible Conversion to FST

Okay - It's opinion time! I own a former Noble Caracal C FV. I live in the Mid-West division and got through all of my driver schools etc. two years ago. I had a rod go down on my Noble motor at Mid-America at the end of the season two years ago. Then the economy problems hit. I have parked the car since that time.

That brings us up to current times. Now that my own personal economic situation is back on firm ground I am thinking of converting the car to FST for all the benefits that you guys already are aware of.

Having looked through the current FST car list there is an obvious lack of cars currently in the Mid-West division. I do believe that will change as things improve and am convinced that eventually FST will be the way to go. In the mean time I have thought about starting the conversion.

I have a big advantage in that I am a sometimes not so silent partner LOL in a VW garage here. Building a 1600 is not a problem at all as well as the other technical parts of the conversion. I am just wondering about the track time once it's done.
    What about Solo II the car until car counts improve in Mid-Div? Looking for opnions?

Liked: 190

Bill,

As far as conversion candidate, the Caracal C is a no-brainer. It is on the top of the list for easy conversion. I don't think that was your true question, but felt it should be pointed out.

As for Mid-Div FST entrants, you are correct in regards to entries. There are (3) a garage queen FST's in Mid-Div. (2) in Iowa and (1) in Oklahoma. I'd love to see them sold and back on the track. Parked race cars are a real tragity to me . Another issue that does not help is the Regional/National weekend so commonly found in Mid-Div. The Regional is held on Saturday and the National on Sunday. Regional classes (like FST) are done on Saturday and the general weekend tends to be non-Regional only class friendly unless your class can be dual function (Club Formula Ford/Formula Ford comes to mind).

Nothing official to base this on, but I can see that with Regional racing (in many, not all divisions) in serious trouble (Milwaukee Region just held a Regional at the Milwaukee Mile with 41 total pre-registered), the club needs to look at restructuring the club racing program. Couple that with the steadily shrinking FV entries and I think your assumption that FST will be the future of FV is a good one. Last week, I had contact with two regular CenDiv FV participants (Runoffs bound in 2011) that are 90% done with FV and wish to investigate FST conversion or a different class.

As for Solo, the rules are so totally different (Solo Vee to FST), it would almost be better to build a different car. Not only that, but from what I read the F500 is so much quicker than a Solo Vee. I know little to nothing about Solo stuff, so I'd suggest you need another opinion on that part of your questions.
    Bill Bonow
    "Wait, which one is the gas pedal again?"

Liked: 0

Here in Texas, they are having rationals. Regional and national drivers driving at the same time both days for different points.

Default Progress in Texas

Rationals =
    Bill Bonow

Liked: 34

Default Caracal C FST conversion

Bill,
    To get an idea what your Caracal C could look like as a FST check out fvsilverbullet.com. The one pictured is on a Caracal C frame. I think it came out pretty well.

Allan,

That is too pretty to leave at your website. Here is Allan's bodywork mounted on a Caracal C chassis. I love long tailed cars .
    Last edited by Bill Bonow; 05.27.13 at 3:33 PM.
    Bill Bonow

Amherst, New York but i left my heart in San Francisco
    Liked: 292

Default silver bullet

that is sweet looking!

Liked: 53

Default rookie question

On the silver bullet body, how does the head cooling make a 90° change of flow?
    Are there internal baffles that direct the air down thru the heads?

G.
    G. Brian Metcalf
    72 AutoD MK4
    1991 Mysterian M2
    2014 ALR73 FV/FST

G Brian,

Go to Allan's website www.fvsilverbullet.com and it shows the internal ducting making the 90 degree turn.
    Bill Bonow

Default Thanks Everyone for the input.

Thanks everybody - especially you Bill for the great info. I have decided I am going to make the conversion. I loved the way the Caracal C looked and with the economic plusses of FST I just can't see not doing it. I also think what they are doing in Texas with Rationals is going to have to be an upcoming possible solution to the car count issues. My wife and I recently went to a Reg/Nat event as spectators in Topeka and on the Sunday Nat event there was only two FV and one of those was Lisa Noble.

Bill I am sure I will be asking for Techical help as the conversion takes place this winter. As far as the possible Solo II stuff I will probably use it early in the season to freshen me up( Andrettis- For full seconds faster work on the Driver LOL) and a close opportunity to just get some feel for the car in FST trim.

Thanks again for all the info

Bill Gray

I have been toying with idea of converting my vee for the past couple years. After seeing an ad for a thousand dollar intake, I think I made my mind up. Lets go racing!

Liked: 3

Bill,
    You can run your FST in Fmod in GCR race trim without doing any thing different. The long box will make you uncompetitive at the higher levels of Solo competition. Using some FC front tires all the way around worked pretty well for me when I used to go to the local events. I picked mine up from the tire vendor at a national for free. It was worth doing when I first got my car just to get used to some of the dynamics of driving it.
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by orc View Post
    After seeing an ad for a thousand dollar intake, I think I made my mind up.
    Rafael,

It's funny you should mention that, I just talked to someone earlier today that said the exact same thing.

It's tough being the first guy in your area to "make the jump". However, that's what happend here in the Midwest 10 years ago. We've been averaging 10+ race entries at our series events since June of 2006. Not going to say we've been growing in this economy, but while just about every class is shrinking in numbers, we are holding our own.
    Bill Bonow

Liked: 151

Default The Big ones

All the cars at Mid Ohio last weekend had "MONSTER MANIs"

50 bucks each

Plus 18 bucks for a Restrictor plate

Picture of my vee. Its been a garage queen for the past 10 years. Time to convert.

Liked: 8

Default and the variety...

It didn't go unnoticed that the first four cars on the Grid for Saturday's Series Race at Mid Ohio were a converted Lynx, a converted Mysterian, a MRC Mission and an Evolution. Everyone welcome and anything can be competitive!

Default First steps to Conversion This Weekend

Put the Noble 1200 FV motor parts up for sale and going to start on the crush box and relocation of my Brake cylinders and pedal assembly this weekend. any and all help with the crush box design is greatly appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by rave motorsports View Post
    any and all help with the crush box design is greatly appreciated!
    Bill,

I'll help you a ton...... Cars utilizing the VW H-beam front suspension don't need a front crush structure per the GCR

I guess I'm not sure why the master and pedal relocation Unless your just looking for more room ? If not, just use what you have.
    Bill Bonow

Great news on the crush zone issue. I had relocated the brake cylinders inside the frame with a Tilton brake/clutch pedal assembly last year and its way too crowded so moving it back in front of the frame.

Bill,

Glad to help. Just make sure that you take photos through the whole conversion. Take a couple of pics as an FV, before you start. Post photos here. From the view count on previous conversion threads, people seem to really like pics as you go through the process. Pics will also help as a point of reference when questions pop up.

Most of all, have fun with it. Everyone here will gladly help you in your quest
    Bill Bonow

Thread Information