Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Liked: 4

I'm in for $100 if it gets us the 2.5 average.
    Who is in charge of directing all this cash to the right person?
    let me know which paypal address

Liked: 0

Hmm at this rate someone should just find me an FB and an appropriate helmet and Ill run as well (probbly slow as Ive never driven FB but...)
    CDR T&S (Road Racing) "Screw politics lets race"
    '84 Mazda RX7 S7 #30 "The Famine Car" aka "The Vampire car"
    '97 Mazda Miata "Baby Cop Car" ES #30
    Help stop world hunger

Liked: 80

So to summarize:

FB is at 176 entries, and needs 180. (72 races * 2.5 = 180)

Chris Ash is registered in the Speads for 2 days.
    Ian is likely to get his national waiver and will run both days, which will get FB to 180.

If I understand right, all that is needed to be counted is to turn a wheel in any session, even if you don't start the race, you're counted as a "DNS".

Richard also mentioned to me that he'll have the Rilltech shop F1000 there, and will make it available for somebody to run it if necessary, if somebody will help cover the driver's entry (which seems to be what folks are offering here).

So, looking good.

-Jake

I received my waiver and am now registered for the National both days. It's too bad we can't find someone who is seriously considering a switch to FB and put them in the Riltech car. That might boost our number by one going forward.

P.S. Hindsight always being 20/20, if someone had simply informed someone else that their fuel was illegal and got it fixed before being suspended, we would not be in the situation we find ourselves today.
    Ian MacLeod
    "Happy Hour: 5:00 - 5:30"
    Tatuus F1k

Contributing Member Nicholas Belling's Avatar
    Liked: 1

Default Sidney

Quote Originally Posted by sidney View Post
    I received my waiver and am now registered for the National both days. It's too bad we can't find someone who is seriously considering a switch to FB and put them in the Riltech car. That might boost our number by one going forward.

P.S. Hindsight always being 20/20, if someone had simply informed someone else that their fuel was illegal and got it fixed before being suspended, we would not be in the situation we find ourselves today.

That certain competitor was informed face to face that it was illegal. He choose to ignore it or felt he was running something legal "as he said he was told it was from VP" I just didnt spell out the fact I would protest it and when. he admitted he "chanced it" life can be tough..

awesome you got a waiver. Good luck and enjoy the track.. it is fun to drive for sure.
    Nicholas Belling
    email@nicholasbelling.com
    Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Liked: 4

So, are we set, or is there still a need to financially help someone get to the race?

Liked: 6

Hummm, if I just had my National License I'd go for it since my car won't be done until sometime next year.
    I'm sure it would be some good seat time.

Contributing Member Mike Devins's Avatar
    Liked: 29

Just spoke to Richard a Rilltech and he will take his FB and add 2 participation points if the group is willing to support his entry fee. He did not go into any detail but his health will not allow him to run the entire race. This would be insurance in case anyone has a glitch on there way to the track.

You guys still up for it (BTW Gary Hickman is not going)?

Liked: 20

I'm still in to do whats needed to get 2.5

Liked: 43

Mike,

I'm still in also for the prior listed support. Mike are we funneling the contributions thru you?

Liked: 709

Not sure which Mike you mean, but if people want to contribute, you can send it to my Paypal address: gyrodynamics@new.rr.com

I'll collect and pass along to Richard.
    Mike Beauchamp
    RF95 Prototype 2

Get your FIA rain lights here:
    www.gyrodynamics.net/product/cartek-fia-rain-light/

The "Help Richard Cottrill Race at HPR" fund is now at $100.
    Mike Beauchamp
    RF95 Prototype 2

The HRCRAHPR Fund is now at $150.
    Mike Beauchamp
    RF95 Prototype 2

The HRCRAHPR Fund is now at $250.
    Mike Beauchamp
    RF95 Prototype 2

Liked: 6

Contribution sent.

Thanks,

Tom

Now at $300.

Along with possibly a new, much longer name for the fund...
    Mike Beauchamp
    RF95 Prototype 2

A summary of what we're trying to accomplish:

With 2 national entries at the final two national races (double national at High Plains Raceway), F1000 will reach 2.5 entries per national and avoid probationary status in 2012.
    There are currently two entries. However, should either entry have any sort of problem for just one of those days, the class will fall below 2.5 and be in trouble for next year. If Richard Cottrill is able to take to the track in the qualifying session on both days, it gives the class a bit of insurance against Ian or Christopher having a problem.

In 2012, if either of the proposed Pro series take place, it will draw some entries away from National racing. If F1000 is on probation during that period it will mean the death of the class in 2013. If we are successful in hitting 2.5 this year, it will delay probation until 2013.

Let's make it happen!
    Mike Beauchamp
    RF95 Prototype 2

Liked: 84

Just sent $100

Now at $400.

That should cover the entry fee. Any extra will go toward fuel or beer. Maybe a little something for Christopher or our newest National driver?
    Mike Beauchamp
    RF95 Prototype 2

Liked: 20

Sent! Go buys some beers guys!

The fund is now at $600, more than enough to cover the entry fees!
    Mike Beauchamp
    RF95 Prototype 2

Liked: 43

Excellent.

Thanks to all that contributed on the final push for participation.

So, not only did Richard take to the track, he put his Speads on the pole! His best time was 1:45.851. Christopher Ash was 2nd with a 1:47.1, then Ian MacLeod with a 1:51.294. Both Cottrill and MacLeod dnfed in the race, giving Ash the win. Most importantly, we gained 3 entries and need only one tomorrow. Thanks, guys!
    Mike Beauchamp
    RF95 Prototype 2

Default Tough Weekend

We spent the entire weekend scrambling, and now it's over. Friday we got to the track and got unloaded no problem. I was still seething from what will be my one and only experience with Frontier Airlines. Saturday morning for practice we tried a different setup with some well used tires and did more drifting than driving.

For qualifying we put on our new(er) skins and headed out. 5 laps in the tires were coming into their own and we were cranking down the lap times. In the middle of turn 1 the master link let go under power and I rolled to a stop.

The damage did not look too bad and we put on a new chain and new tires for the race. Qualifying with a poor time meant that we were 2 rows back from Richard and Chris. 2 laps in the car started smoking in right hand corners. It turns out that the block must have a crack high up and oil was spewing onto the headers. At this point Richard had exited the track and Chris was involved in a first lap incident, so I tried to stay out there, at least to half-way to get a finish. 7 laps in a really bad noise erupted from the lump behind me. I shut it down and rolled back into the hot pits.

We won't know exactly what broke until it comes out of the car, but it doesn't sound like the bottom end. We still had plenty of oil pressure. I'm guessing we damaged something when the chain broke and it wasn't happy when I asked more from it 2 hours later.

We are done, however the class should get to 2.5 entries as I suspect Richard and Chris will both run Sunday. Off to a winter tear down and the search for a new lump for the back of the car.
    Ian MacLeod
    Tatuus F1k

Sorry to hear about your weekend, Ian, but your entry was crtical for the class so it is appreciated. Thanks and good luck ext season.
    Ken

Contributing Member glenn cooper's Avatar
    Liked: 136

Default Well damn

Ian, that sucks, sorry to hear...

I had a master link let go at VIR a few years ago and was lucky to just have the chain laying in a lump on the engine bay floor area, no damage to the crankcase.
    Real lucky.

I actually found the master link itself and one pin was normal and intact, the other was blued at the base, and actually torn in half about midway along the pin.

My post mortem on the whole affair indicated that one pin was normal, and the other had been run dry, and to failure, possibly by having the O ring AWOL, probably from a few drops of brake fluid dripped on the chain from splitting the chassis in half (which required breaking the rear brake line at a junction just above the chain) to facilitate an engine swap.

After this event, I rerouted the brake line junction away from overhead of the chain.
    Since that day I now pack the livin' snot outta the whole affair with moly grease before staking the top plate on. No issues. I also replace the chain after five weekends.

Have you found the broken bits? Post mortem? Did it come apart at the rivet area of the plate itself? I'm assuming you had a permanent master link / rivet on style.

Thanks for your addition to the national numbers, it looks like we barely scrapped by for 2011.

We FB'ers are going to have to be even more vigilant, if that's the word, next year.
    If you are at a Rational and there is a FB in the regional portionn, explain to the guy how important it is for National entries.

With the Pro deal for next year there will most likely be a dip in FB National numbers, which may just see a sub-2.5 entries per National anyway. Just a little personal overview, but it seems like there are definitely two distinct FB "factions" anyway. Those that will run the only Nationals/Pro series plus maybe a few double Natty's to get RO acceptance, and those that are fine with running only regionals w/i a few hours drive.

Either way I see a definite problem for next year in regard to FB National status for the following year...

Default Icing on the Cake

It was a rivited master link. I found 2 of the 4 O-rings and 1 pin still connected to the link. The pin was bent at about a 45 degree angle. This was the 4th weekend on the chain. I wonder if the first session spent sliding and drifting didn't put serious strain on the chain.

Not realted to the race, but to top it off, when I got back to my car at the airport, the P/U truck parked across from me lost his topper and planted it on the hood and windshield of my car. Luckily, the windshield was not broken. Probably $3k worth of damage to the hood, fenders, roof and bumper cover. Unbelieveable! Maybe I'll pocket the cash and buy a new powerplant. Just have to sneak it by the accounting department.

I look forward to running more nationals next year.
    Ian MacLeod
    Tatuus F1k

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information