Thread: Exhaust

Liked: 0

I am going to race at Limerock and they have a noise requirment, what do you guys use to quiet your exhaust note?
    Morgan<br />Zetec Championship

Go to an autoparts store and get a tail pipe that is curved. with a jig, cut some slits long ways in the end of it(that end goes over the exhaust pipe) and clamp down with a couple of "ring clamps" (i can never remember the right name for those damn things). The slits are to ensure a tight fit over the exisiting exhaust. I was loud at Summit and I have never had a problem since.

a lot of guys run coast mufflers no power loss

What exactly is a coast muffler? Our local muffler shops haven't been able to help out. We were are ready to load the car tonight for
    limerock tomorrow and discovered that the exhaust with a baffle that came with the car didn't fit. Didn't need it at the Glen.
    Morgan<br />Zetec Championship

Liked: 712

Coast Fabrication

Use the curved tailpipe for this weekend. Make sure to point it AWAY from sound control, which should be on the outside of the track.
    Good luck!
    Mike Beauchamp
    RF95 Prototype 2

Get your FIA rain lights here:
    www.gyrodynamics.net/product/cartek-fia-rain-light/

Liked: 126

I tried the curved tailpipe, without success, at NHIS. That weekend, I picked up a $20 straight through short muffler at an Auto parts store and it worked - did nor feel any loss in power. It was a little heavy though. Before going to the expensive Coast muffler, I would try out a racing sportbike muffler first, an aluminum one.

Liked: 225

Remember that the sound readings are of total noise produced by the car in question. So, any and all noise is measured, including body panel rattles, vibrating exhaust pipes, etc. Sure, most of the noise comes out the tailpipe, but it all adds up.

John

Thread Information