Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mike Foschi

I can understand why the rules can get cloudy with crappy wording like that. My feeling was that the powers that be have a stronger hold of the "spirt of the rule". It is most likely time to tighten the rulebook up so these issues do not keep showing up.

Anyway it will certainly be interesting to see how this car developes in both speed and durabiliy. My prediction is that the hybrid chassis might have some frame cracking issues much like the Bowman FF chassis did that came over from England with a frame that could not put up with the forces of slicks and 2 liter power.

Liked: 2

Default Huh?

Why in God's name would this chassis have "frame-cracking" issues?

Profound no comprendo.

Chris Crowe

Liked: 1

The Radon chassis was designed for racing slicks and 2.0L engines using modern FEA methods. How does this compare to an old Bowman FF that was later "converted" for FC, probably without any chassis loads analysis whatsoever? Seems like a pointless comparison to me.......

Liked: 12

Not to confuse the issue with facts, but the frame alone (without any of the "hybrid" reinforcement that Mike thinks he knows about ) meets the latest F3 rollover standards, which makes it three to six times stronger than the vast majority of existing FC chassis.

Although technically I could have signed off on the frame myself, I was the designer and did most of the FEA work, so we enlisted the services of an independent Professional Engineer who has analyzed many frames previously. His stamp is on the homologation paperwork.

I'm sure we will find issues with the car (it is a completely new design) but "frame cracking" won't be one of them.

Nathan

Liked: 19

Now its a party! I think this thread needs to be more about me and less about the car...

Since a few people have written me about how the car went etc at Monticello I will throw a few pics on here of me (web based so you won't need to log in....). If anyone wants to print one out and bring it to Mosport, I'll sign it for you free of charge...

First, if you like to drive and end up getting hit by a bus - hopefully heaven is just like Monticello Motor Club...... It's a crazy concept and super exclusive - but what a track... Not FIA legal mind you - so everyone chirping about safety and all that crap need not apply. They send out the disposable miatas to find out where to put the tire walls - then they bring out the Ford GT's, Porsche GT2's and Ferrari's to pound around..... We ran the 2 mile north course with a couple fender-fruitys - but for the most part had it to ourselves.

It was nice to be on a proper track compared to NHIS - MMC doesn't have a lot of high speed turns - a couple of kinks but mostly low and medium speed stuff - some good left right transitions and off camber - fall away stuff. It's super smooth excellent grip with low curbs. Our top speed was about 125 and the low speed was about 40. It's like a perfect kart track for an F2k car.

We started off with adjusting the chassis roll a bit to free it up.... That improved things a bit. Then started to work on the weight transfer - or speed in which the weight transfers (with the shocks). There are a few styles of driving out there - if we take a hairpin for example - you can brake into it, turn in and either maintain the brake peddle pressure (or increase it slightly) to get the car to rotate - OR your foot comes off the brake you turn in and the car rotates until you go back the power..... The later is the quicker of the two style - for those that didn't know.... now you know..... Anyway! We started off with something that needed a trailbrake and moved back to something that would rotate nicely when "neutral" (fore and aft)... The understeer went away and the balance of the car was very good. The car started to do everything well - on new tires it was very similer mechanically to the old tires. It seemed like we had taken it as far as it would go - there were still some issues here and there in the off camber - fall away stuff - but the car was quick and really didn't seem like it would go much faster without visiting one of those Miata walls....so - we change the springs...... now - we did have a small oil leak most of the day so we only ran at most 3 laps at a time..... We had a box of Al Sr's Depends in the trailer - and like him, it would need to be changed really often...... . After the spring change, for me personally - it was the most enjoyable driving Ive done since 2006... The car did exactly what I asked - how I like it and was an absolute joy to drive - I ran 7 laps until I finally noticed everyone waving at me from the trailer - looking in the mirror - Sr's diaper was saturated and had started dripping onto the exhaust.... Looked like the engine let go - but it was fine..... I looked exactly like this guy --> the rest of the day and on the drive home.......and when the state trooper stopped me for speeding, I looked like that guy Bob from the enzyte commerciales - except I'm irish and I know I'm cursed for life no matter what........ He thought my reply of what were you doing in Monticello was amusing..... I think the guy was on the Foschi rolls or something - kept saying I shouldnt be driving a hybrid car that fast.....

Theres only one thing left to do.....and Mosport should answer many of those questions...... No stamp yet - but it's close....

Thanks to Monty for the pics....And not taking pictures of the carbon fiber bracket panel thing that holds the nitrous and moveable aero devices - and especially the ducted exhaust valve

I think the truth will be revealed this weekend...... It's not my fight, but I think it would be a great addition to the class... Maybe Nathan gets told to change 1-2 things, but the outcome will still be the same...... It's still coming to a racetrack near you - soon......I know the bruises on my legs are telling me it's just like a formula car.....

In the middle of all this - I'll only add...... If you need any Van Diemen parts BBS wheels - various other hard to find bits, call Bill at GTP Componets, he has done a lot for me - and will have whatever you need - though I think he just sold the last of the ceramic wheel bearings to the capes 781.393.6887..... Just 20 minutes can save you less at GTP Components - he'll throw in some Enzyte if you need that too......

Last edited by Matt M.; 07.18.11 at 10:03 AM.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 0

Matt,
    Actually the depends were yours. I had to buy them for you after your last loss to me at pool. You couldn't control yourself

Liked: 19

Quote Originally Posted by Alan R guibord View Post
    Matt,
    Actually the depends were yours. I had to buy them for you after your last loss to me at pool. You couldn't control yourself
    Oh jeezzz Somebody get him back on the medication..... He's hallucinating again....... There was a reason I called you scratch for a while...... I guess you don't remember that well...... Get a table so we can settle it once and for all!!

Liked: 12

That explains a lot!

Seriously, Matt did a great job (again). For me, the most impressive thing was watching Glenn and Matt work together. Matt would do an out lap, a hot lap, and an in lap, talk to Glenn for a couple of minutes, and we'd make a change. After five or six iterations, they had the car dialed in. Blake got in the car at the end and did a few laps and said it was "perfect."

A couple of friends made the five hour drive out to Monticello to help us out. Four Runoffs victories between them, but in Production cars. They looked at Glenn like he was crazy when he said we were going to do a spring change with a half hour until the track closed, then watched him do it himself in about two and half minutes. That's why I'll never go back to production-based race cars!

Nathan

Liked: 96

Quote Originally Posted by Matt M. View Post
    Now its a party! I think this thread needs to be more about me and less about the car...

OK, let's make it all about you...

What happened to your pretty helmet with the F1 paint job? Did your high paying testing contract allow you to buy a new Stilo? Or did you forget yours & "borrow" that one from the driver's seat of the Porsche GT-3?

You sure talk about enzyte a lot... The season premier of "Rescue Me" had a line about Tommy being a "H**d-on in a fire helmet". Are you a "H**d-on in a racing helmet"?

Thanks for telling us about the car & the track, as well as yourself. Sorry about the ticket. I hate when that happens!
    "I love the smell of race fuel in the morning. It smells like victory!"
    Barry Wilcock
    Pit Crew: Tumenas Motorsports/Houndspeed, Fat Boy Racing

Liked: 896

A very impressive car Nathan & the Radon team.

Thanks ... Jay Novak

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information