Liked: 127

Default Looking for a basic lap timer, need input

I'd like to get a basic lap timer in my Crossle sometime soon. Since this is my first season, I feel like this will be a good aid to get instant feedback on lap times and help drop my times down even more.

Not looking to spend a lot of money, and not looking for data at the moment, unless of course someone has something basic that they are getting rid of for a good price.

So I'd like to hear what you guys have used, and some reviews on the different products out there.

This product stood out from Pegasus...it's advertised that it reads the track T&S when you input your transponder number, is this really true? Is there additional setup needed to be able to communicate with track T&S?

http://www.pegasusautoracing.com/pro...asp?RecID=6389

Thanks,

Will

Liked: 112

You will be at the mercy of the host region having the iCard system up and running. Dicey at times.

A list of groups known to use the system:
    http://www.pegasusautoracing.com/doc...ocID=TECH00053

Oh, so it doesn't go by the track, but by which group is at the track running that weekend?

Liked: 447

We used the Hotlap system several generations of the product ago. It did what we needed it to do before we went to a data system.

http://www.pegasusautoracing.com/pro...asp?RecID=8469
    2003 VanDiemen FSCCA #29
    Follow me on Twitter @KeithCarter74

Liked: 956

Default Harry's Laptimer

Do you have an iPhone, or know someone who does?

http://web.me.com/hschlangmann/LapTi...page/Home.html

Worth a try for the price...
    “Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty.” -Peter Egan

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Carter View Post
    We used the Hotlap system several generations of the product ago. It did what we needed it to do before we went to a data system.

http://www.pegasusautoracing.com/pro...asp?RecID=8469
    So basically with this setup with the infared sensor you need a crew member to pit the thing on the pit wall so it picks it up as you go down past start finish?

You don't even need a pit guy to do it. You can set it up in the morning and leave it out there all day on a tripod. As long as it's aligned properly and it doesn't need to be "tweaked" to trip the lap timer, you're set.
    2003 VanDiemen FSCCA #29

Liked: 956

You don't even need a pit guy to do it. You can set it up in the morning and leave it out there all day on a tripod. As long as it's aligned properly and it doesn't need to be "tweaked" to trip the lap timer, you're set.
    Of course, you need to put a sticky note on your tow vehicle dash to remind you to go get it at the end of the day....
    “Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty.” -Peter Egan

Gotcha, thanks. And the tracks are usually friendly about letting you set them up and leaving them throughout the day?

Looks like a nice product and does not rely on track T&S like the other system I posted up.

Yes, at any track there will be a collection of timing beacons around the start/finish line for the various data loggers that people use that aren't GPS based so no problem there.
    2003 VanDiemen FSCCA #29

Liked: 141

Stop watch on steering wheel.

Liked: 150

I've just fitted a RaceChrono, which appears similar to Harry's Lap Timer.

GPS based, very accurate, allows very detailed analysis afterwards. Gives instant info - green screen when you improve sector or lap time, red screen otherwise. Works straight out of box and no infered beacon to leave behind. Indeed, the GPS sensor can be fitted under your fiberglass body.

If you have a car with other electronics, it can log those inputs too.

http://www.racechrono.com/

I bought mine from the Australian agent, and it was pre loaded with all tracks and sectors. Presume you would get it with all US tracks.

The days of beacon or other timers are over.

Well I've seemed to narrow it down to two lap timers:

1. LTI Hot Lap Timer

2. AIM Mychron Light TG Lap Timer

Does anyone have any experience with either of these lap timers and could give me some input/recommendations?

Liked: 142

Will I've got a mychron timer I'd make you a deal on.

-Brendan
    Awww, come on guys, it's so simple. Maybe you need a refresher course. Hey! It's all ball bearings nowadays.

Quote Originally Posted by HazelNut View Post
    Will I've got a mychron timer I'd make you a deal on.

-Brendan
    PM Sent

Thread Information