Thread: 97 Van Diemen

Liked: 29

Default 97 Van Diemen

I just picked this 97 Van Diemen FC up and I am converting it to Honda Fit power here are some pics of the first mockup. Should be ready for the spring after a frame up rebuild with new bodywork and widetrack.

Seeya at the track

Erik

Contributing Member
    Liked: 86

What's the plan for the upper rollbar bracing mods?
    Matt King
    FV19 Citation XTC-41
    CenDiv-Milwaukee
    KEEP THE KINK!

The car it going to Eric Langbein's to have all the chassis mods done so to be continued in about 2 weeks.

E

Liked: 553

Nice. Good luck with the remainder. Keep us posted.
    Racer Russ
    Palm Coast, FL

Default progress

Default More low res spy shots

Default Better pics

This just to show the placment of the roll hoop brace witch will make this a much safer car. There are still a few more tubes to be added\removed but making strong progress.

Contributing Member blackbmwk1200r's Avatar
    Liked: 9

Default Welding 101

Quote Originally Posted by eospeed View Post
    This just to show the placment of the roll hoop brace witch will make this a much safer car.
    Hi Erik,

Mr Langbein has been teaching me to weld. I don't know if this is where I should be starting out but got to go with what he tells me. I'd thought I'd post when I saw that bit about "a much safer car". Hmmm, might want to rethink that. And good news, next week he's going to let me light the torch.

Sid

Classifieds Super License

Sid- you're not allowed in my shop anymore when there's a camera around, and you're even more banned when the welder is plugged in!!
    -Eric

Heterochromic Papillae starkejt's Avatar
    Liked: 3

Nice try, but everyone knows the Langbein Welding Technique features the torch pointing the other way.

Hey All,
    Here are some pictures of the finished frame modifications. From here the frame is to be stripped, and re-coated, and a new floor will be installed. My intentions with the frame mods were to fit the Honda engine, while adding a rearward facing roll hoop brace for safety, and maintaining the torsional rigidity the 1997/98 (FF) Van Diemens are known for. Erik O is planning on making the upper front motor mount, and adding a lower mount to tie into the Honda oil pan. Please keep in mind that I'm not a professional photographer !!

Thanks,
    Eric

Contributing Member problemchild's Avatar
    Liked: 4362

Question: Why was the original tripod discarded? That seems to be an integral part of the chassis on all the VDs of those times. Was it not possible to modify it and keep it .... or did you consider its removal as desirable?

Not chucking ..... just wondering .... as I contemplate a similiar project. Thanks!
    Greg Rice, RICERACEPREP.com
    F1600 Arrive-N-Drive for FRP and SCCA, FC SCCA also. Including Runoffs
    2020 & 2022 F1600 Champion, 2020 SCCA FF Champion, 2021 SCCA FC Champion,
    2016 F2000 Champion, Follow RiceRacePrep on Instagram.

The Honda engine is rather large up top- large intake manifold, integral exhaust manifold, multi valve cylinder head, individual coils mounted atop each spark plug- each of these make the engine wide and tall. Therefore there wasn't enough room for the "tripod" above the engine. All of these items also make it hard for there to be almost any useful structure above the "beltline". I had an engineer friend run a few tubing configurations through an FEA model, and this seemed to be the most effective, given Erik's requests.

Thanks,
    Eric

Who bent the roll hoop?

Hey, this isn't a knock either (I think the mods look great, and it will be great car), but I'm wondering why a couple of bars like this weren't included. Seems like they would add a lot.

BTW, I was never really impressed with the original VD odd triangle structure. It just didn't seem to have any real support in the back. But, what do I know? :-).
    Last edited by RussMcB; 11.14.10 at 6:45 PM.
    Racer Russ
    Palm Coast, FL

Senior Member Jean-Sebastien Stoezel's Avatar
    Liked: 15

This just to show the placment of the roll hoop brace witch will make this a much safer car. There are still a few more tubes to be added\removed but making strong progress.

Hello,

Out of curiosity, how does a second roll hoop makes the car more secure, is this required by FC? I sense that the more metal the better but... Isn't one hoop sufficient enough?

I'm not familiar with FC rules. I run FV and I know that a few cars have 2 roll hoops (BRD being one).

I'm not trying to pick on this design, I'm just wondering if I would rather have a second roll hoop on my car!

Liked: 36

Quote Originally Posted by RussMcB View Post
    Hey, this isn't a knock either (I think the mods look great, and it will be great car), but I'm wondering why a couple of bars like this weren't included. Seems like they would add a lot.
    Probably for clearance to remove the no.1 & 2 coil packs. Look at pic 007 for more of a top view of clearance.
    Crossle 32F, Piper DF5 Honda

Liked: 7

Quote Originally Posted by starkejt View Post
    Who bent the roll hoop?
    Josh;

Eric L. bent the rollhoop

Liked: 7

Quote Originally Posted by RussMcB View Post

BTW, I was never really impressed with the original VD odd triangle structure. It just didn't seem to have any real support in the back. But, what do I know? :-).
    Eric L should confirm this but I think this could not be done with a straight bar because of interference issues with the top of the engine.

SteveO

Liked: 151

That looks really nice.

SOseth and BWC54 are correct. The tube that RussMcB illustrated was actually part of the original chassis, and I would have loved to have left that tube, since it would most efficiently bear load, but it interfered with the #1 coil, and inhibited removal of the #2 coil (I may have those mixed, but point is the same). Replacing that straight tube with a bent tube would have very little strength. I spent a lot of time contemplating many tubing configurations, and the current configuration is the best I could come up with, given the specific needs and requests of the customer (Erik O).
    jstoezel- Formula car roll hoops are typically as narrow as possible for aerodynamic reasons, and the GCR requires fore and/or aft braces for rollover strength. There typically isn't a place to mount the lower end of these braces that is the same width (when viewed from the front) as the roll hoop, so these braces will always present a larger frontal area. A double roll hoop, faired in with sheet metal, fiberglass or other, will present the smallest frontal area. It also allows for a significant portion to be gusseted, which adds strength, and is encouraged in the GCR. I hope this is clear, and please keep in mind that this information is as I understand it.
    Thanks for the compliment, Wren!

Thanks,
    Eric

Quote Originally Posted by SOseth View Post
    Josh;

Eric L. bent the rollhoop
    Thanks, I was curious if he bent it himself or subbed it out to someone with a CNC bender.

Almost forgot. Nice job, Eric.

Thanks Josh!

Contributing Member Brandon Dixon's Avatar
    Liked: 127

Looks nice and clean. Is a new engine cover part of the plan.

Quote Originally Posted by ericlangbein View Post
    SOseth and BWC54 are correct. The tube that RussMcB illustrated was actually part of the original chassis, and I would have loved to have left that tube, since it would most efficiently bear load, but it interfered with the #1 coil, and inhibited removal of the #2 coil (I may have those mixed, but point is the same). Replacing that straight tube with a bent tube would have very little strength. I spent a lot of time contemplating many tubing configurations, and the current configuration is the best I could come up with, given the specific needs and requests of the customer.
    Yes, I see now. That makes sense.

Don't you just love it when you think about something for hours or days, weighing all options, come up with the best compromise, then someone glances at a picture on the internet for about 15 seconds and says you shoulda done it differently? :-).

Before I got my Swift, I was salivating over Greg's '97 FF for sale (http://www.apexspeed.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39392). I really like the looks and thought it'd be great Honda-powered.

Good luck with the remaining tasks.
    Racer Russ
    Palm Coast, FL

Ha! Thanks Russ!

Brandon, I think a new engine cover is part of the plan, but I'm not sure what Erik has planned.

Eric

Liked: 1

Default conversion 97 van diemen

Eric was going to call you this week to see how your conversion was going and stumbled across it on apex , im impressed talk to you next week on it thanks mike

Default Progress?

Hey Erik,

Any recent photos? I'm looking forward to the final result, looks great so far!

Will you be participating in F1600 at all next year?

-Ross

Liked: 384

May be after Fit being such a hit (and it obviously is)
    Honda will cough up some of their other engines out in amateur and privateer market
    Like Atlantic,old Indy ,F3 etc.

Looks very clean and professional.

cheers and keep up the good work.

Maris.

Quote Originally Posted by R.DeVoe View Post
    Hey Erik,

Any recent photos? I'm looking forward to the final result, looks great so far!

Will you be participating in F1600 at all next year?

-Ross

I am going to try to race as many as my $$$ lets me. I may post a few more in a couple weeks dont wana give away all the secret stuff =).

Liked: 96

I may post a few more in a couple weeks dont wana give away all the secret stuff =).
    Like carbon fiber anti-intrusion panels...?
    "I love the smell of race fuel in the morning. It smells like victory!"
    Barry Wilcock
    Pit Crew: Tumenas Motorsports/Houndspeed, Fat Boy Racing

Classifieds Super License Joefisherff's Avatar
    Liked: 103

Default It's an epidemic

All those Northeast guys cheat....

Liked: 20

Default Update?

Hi Erik, any updates on this conversion? I'm curious if it all came together.

I will have some more pics in a few weeks. To many projects / work and one two year old little girl.

E

Thread Information