Liked: 0

Default RF-94 Torque specs

Looking for the torque specs for the upper a-arms where they connect to the uprights and also the rear tie rods where they connect to the upright. I know I can check out one of those charts but I don't know what the grade is and I'm tired of stripping stuff out because I dont know how to read the darn chart.
    Better to have raced for a day...
    than been a spectator for life!

Contributing Member Darren Brown's Avatar
    Liked: 20

I have always just used a hand tight feel. I think all those nuts are either a 3/8" and 7/16" hex size. I just use open end wrenches and turn them until are tight (roughly when they stop moving with very little effort, then i put maybe a 1/4 turn more for good measure). The jet nuts are self locking so you do not need a lot of torque. Never had a problem on any of my cars.

The only thing besides engine stuff I use a torque wrench on are the wheel nuts and the stub axle nuts (front).

Just the way I do it, that does not mean it is the right way.

Darren

Senior Member Becker Motorsports's Avatar

I also do it about the same as darren. When i do torque, i have always used air craft spec.'s for the dia. Of the bolt or the mfg specs if available. I also use an fasteners almost exclusively for all other items on the car.
    Another precaution i take is i will only tighten a bolt twice, then replace it. Also i wiil only tighten a jet nut once, then replace it.
    I know this may seem extreme, but i do not want a dnf or sustain a failure because of failure to replace a used nut or bolt.
    In the long run its cheap insurance.
    In our 11 years of racing we have had only 1 dnf and that was due to getting a flat front tire because of debris on the track.

I think I put them at 14# just didn't seem like enough

Liked: 27

If it doesn't seem like enough, then put a standard length box end wrench on it (by hand) and see if you gain any. I'll bet you don't ! This is a good way to develop the feel that you need.

Quote Originally Posted by Pop Chevy View Post
    If it doesn't seem like enough, then put a standard length box end wrench on it (by hand) and see if you gain any. I'll bet you don't ! This is a good way to develop the feel that you need.
    Yeah I actually did that and it felt like enough. Should be good to go now. Gotta change some things on the set-up and then Im gonna start packing!

Thread Information