Thread: Any ideas?

Liked: 1

Default Any ideas?

Hello,hopefully someone can shed some light on fixing a problem with my fv.This weekend at waterford hills my car just would not accelerate,no rpm's mostly in 3rd and 4th gear.We tried changing almost everything carb,intake,distributor,plugs,full throttle ok,we did have a problem with a axle shaft binding but changed shaft and tube now appears ok.Was just wondering if anybody has dealt with this before or any advice would great before i start replacing the whole driveline.Thanks Dave Satterley jr

Contributing Member problemchild's Avatar
    Liked: 4362

Dave,
    In your description, I'm not clear if the car was run after the axle tube replacement and is fixed ... or if you're assuming it is fixed but have not run yet .... or if you've run but still not right.
    Did you check valve lift to make sure you have not lost a lobe on the cam?
    Did you do some form of leakdown/compression test to make sure you don't have a lame cylinder or two?
    After that, I would be exploring transmission issues.
    If the pressed-on synchro hub becomes loose on a gear, the endplay changes and you will get extra drag from the gear cluster. This happened to me at the Glen FST race where my car was several seconds per lap slow .... then the tranny seized on the way to impound.
    Also, if you use aftermarket plates on the 6-hole retaining plates for the axle tubes .... you can totally destroy the axle and axle tube ends without it being apparent, again creating vibration and drag.

Change the engine. Or change the tranny.Then you'll know. Otherwise, rebuild the tranny before you go out next time.
    Greg Rice, RICERACEPREP.com
    F1600 Arrive-N-Drive for FRP and SCCA, FC SCCA also. Including Runoffs
    2020 & 2022 F1600 Champion, 2020 SCCA FF Champion, 2021 SCCA FC Champion,
    2016 F2000 Champion, Follow RiceRacePrep on Instagram.

Liked: 611

Default Any Ideas

You should have stopped by and asked for me to look into it.
    I was there all weekend around the trailer.
    The F/Ford and F/C guys (and others) do it all the time.
    Sometimes, someone removed from the cars themselves, can see what those too close to it can not.
    Keith
    Averill Racing Stuff, Inc.
    www.racing-stuff.com
    248-585-9139

Yes,car was run after axle replacement.Did not perform compression test or leakdown did not have tools at track,next time i will.I will look into trans issue this trans was just put into car for this season,it is not a fresh rebuilt unit,it was done by lre some time ago the previous owner had it in a vee,but converted car at some time so trans was changed out,has been sitting around some time.I did find out this trans did get hit when car was backed into wall,bent hockey stick on rear case but no other obvious damage,possible internal damage?I am just trying to eliminate any possibilties that could cause this i really don't want to deal with this at the track next event.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 32

Default Dwell / Timing

did you verify dwell (50-55degree), and did you verify timing 36 btdc at 3000 rpm ?

Liked: 1403

Check valve clearence. It will kill power when not right. It is something that will creep over time.

Yes,timing was checked and dwell,valves were also checked.What i was looking for is if somebody has had a problem like this that was something wierd,all the normal stuff has been checked or replaced,my dad is my engine builder at DDC Racing has been in fv for 20 plus years.Thanks for all the ideas i will be rechecking all of these things again Dave

Liked: 49

I just went through the same problem (will know this weekend if it's been completely fixed!).

It can be a whole lot of things, so might be worth finding a local shop that knows vees and having them look at it.. In my case, the main problem seemed to be major vacuum leaks on the carb and the intake manifold, mostly due to me being a dummy and not bolting them on properly.

Was the car running right before this weekend? Anything else you might have changed?

Other funny things you could check.. Are the battery terminals tight? Battery fully charged and in good condition? Everyone I asked about my problem told me to check the battery, seems like everyone has had a weak/old battery give them grief at some point.

A faulty fuel pump could also cause trouble, maybe a coil on its way out..? I guess you've checked your plug wires, plugs, rotor, cap.. Condenser? Meh, don't listen to me, I'd just buy a whole new car if no one stopped me lol.

Liked: 88

Default Any ideas?

I had the problem twice in 20 years. The car had nothing in 3rd and 4th gears- I would change a bunch of stuff and drive it as fast as I could around the paddock in 2nd gear and all seemed fine. When I went on the track, as soon as I put the car in 3rd and had it at full throttle---- "nothing there."

1. First time it was a very small piece of rubber that was in a carb jet. It had apparently broken off the fuel hose when I slipped it onto the tube on the carb. Mike Beaumia found it for me after 2 weekends of chasing. Since you've already changed the carb it is not that.

2. The second time it was the result of a partially blocked vent on the fuel cell. I was running a very small line (which was fine when 100% open) and it picked up some debris and was partially blocked. With the vent line partially blocked it was restricting the fuel flow at full load. Changed the vent line and checked it every weekend as part of my check list from then on.

Larry Campbell

Thanks to everybody for the ideas i will go thru the car with a fine tooth comb and double check everything.The fuel cell vent idea was going thru my head of course after the race weekend.Dave

Liked: 58

Default Fuel filter?

Sticking with Larry's line of reasoning check the fuel filter. I think its been mentioned but I have had my share of problems with the mechanical fuel pumps as well.

Doug FST 5

Contributing Member
    Liked: 86

I'm going to add my vote for a fuel system issue. Check the condition of your pump, lines, and fuel cell foam.
    Matt King
    FV19 Citation XTC-41
    CenDiv-Milwaukee
    KEEP THE KINK!

Liked: 304

I'm going to add my vote for a fuel system issue. Check the condition of your pump, lines, and fuel cell foam.
    That is what it sounds like. It has happened on my Suburban, clogged filter. Runs fine up to a certain speed/load, then it just looses power. No miss, just no power.

Thread Information