Liked: 0

Default citation owners - am I missing a part?

put in the belts and it just doesn't look right - looks like there should be another bulkhead type piece covering the fuel line and vent tube - am I missing a piece?

Thanks
    Bob Stack, Hartland, WI
    CenDiv - Milwaukee region

Contributing Member
    Liked: 4

It looks like you have all the pieces that original Citation's had. The belts will probably be to low to use a HAN's. You will have to do something to that rubber vent line. Most cars didn't come with a tank mounted check valve.

Dave

Contributing Member formulasuper's Avatar
    Liked: 61

Headrest?
    Scott Woodruff
    83 RT5 Ralt/Scooteria Suzuki Formula S

(former) F440/F5/FF/FC/FA
    65 FFR Cobra Roadster 4.6 DOHC

ok thanks guys. Yes, I need to figure out a head rest yet.

As for the vent line - it will be passed through the firewall, was just pushed out of the way for the moment.

I am trying to finish up a beat seat and then I'll have an idea where the position falls for head rest.

Sure hope I don't have a problem with the HANS. hmmmm

oh yeah - ignoire the duct tape and card board, that was for making the seat.
    Bob Stack, Hartland, WI

Liked: 1415

The vent line and the fuel line should be braided steel. It would be a good idea to make covers for the fuel cap, vent and fuel lines that separate those components fron the driver.

Make the beed seat extend all the way up to the base of your helmet. The extension only needs to go between the belts. This is to support your spine in the case of a rear end impact. There should be padding behind your helmet. When you lean your head back against your helmet pad, your spine should be supported the entire way up. Make a horse coller to fit around your head to support you helmet in side impact. The hanns device is only good for forward impacts.

Also put a pad between you knees to protect them in a side impact. One knee can fracture the other in a hard side impact.

Quote Originally Posted by S Lathrop View Post
    The vent line and the fuel line should be braided steel. It would be a good idea to make covers for the fuel cap, vent and fuel lines that separate those components fron the driver.

The vent line needs to be braided steel as well?
    Bob Stack, Hartland, WI

Liked: 3

Yes and no.
    I don't think there is a rule that requires it but if it was my car I would use braided steel or at least some type of armored hose.
    IF you happen to end up in the wrong situation safe is better than upside down with fuel in the cockpit with you.
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by lawyerbob View Post
    The vent line can carry fuel when the tank is full and it is in the cockpit.. That makes it a requirement, in my judgment.

In a crash that compresses the fuel cell, fuel will vent out the vent line. This is a reason that I do not like check valves in vent lines. You can route the vent line in such a way that fuel will not escape when the car is on its side or inverted.

I have personal experience with a fuel cell rupturing because of a check valve.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 86

Quote Originally Posted by lawyerbob View Post
    Yes, it's in the GCR:

9.3.28. FUEL, OIL, AND WATER LINES
    All fuel, oil, and water lines, including gauge and vent lines, that pass
    into or through the driver/passenger compartment, shall be of steel tube
    or metal braided hoses or bulkheaded. The driver shall not be exposed to
    header tanks.
    Matt King
    FV19 Citation XTC-41
    CenDiv-Milwaukee
    KEEP THE KINK!

Liked: 7

Default Fuel Incarceration

Quote Originally Posted by S Lathrop View Post
    ... You can route the vent line in such a way that fuel will not escape when the car is on its side or inverted. ...

I have personal experience with a fuel cell rupturing because of a check valve.
    Please share a vent line routing example that confines all the fuel when the car is on its side or inverted. A sideways S-tube's open end always spills some fuel during a full rotation; what's the trick that I'm missing here? Two S-tubes that tee off the top center of the cell with a combination of external ball check valves?

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Kean View Post
    Please share a vent line routing example that confines all the fuel when the car is on its side or inverted. A sideways S-tube's open end always spills some fuel during a full rotation; what's the trick that I'm missing here? Two S-tubes that tee off the top center of the cell with a combination of external ball check valves?

Rick

Route the vent from the top of the tank to the nearest side and up to the top of the fire wal (or follow the roll bar). Then cross the fire wall to the opposite side of the car and then to the bottom of the car even with the bottom of the fuel cell. The vent should follow the sides of the car. The only position that fuel will flow out of the tank is when the car stands on the rear end.

Liked: 7

Default OK

The looped vent that ends at/below the cell bottom will not flow like an open faucet when overturned because the cell is unvented at that point, and the vent line is small_&_long enough to delay pressure equalization, right?

Rick

Thread Information