Liked: 0

For Sale Lifeline Fire bottle

This is a refilled bottle with Halon1211. $90.00+shipping or OBO Pay Pal OK.

Liked: 11

Default fire bottle

Sold, e-mail sent

sold, thanks Apex!
    Last edited by wilbil; 03.26.11 at 2:51 PM.

Liked: 36

Just wondering how you're shipping it?
    Crossle 32F, Piper DF5 Honda

Liked: 4

Default 2nd

I was wondering about how it was shipping too.

Paul

ground

Liked: 611

Default Lifeline bottle

Ground to Canada correct.
    Special labels?
    Let us know how that goes.
    Keith
    Averill Racing Stuff, Inc.
    www.racing-stuff.com
    248-585-9139

Liked: 4

Default More?

Quote Originally Posted by wilbil View Post
    ground
    I was looking for a little more information. UPS & FedEx classify compressed gasses (full fire bottle) as a hazardous material. So it was my understanding that you need certification to ship. So I was hoping that you had a plan for getting around this...

Thanks,
    Paul

Liked: 555

iracer could always do local pick up. :-).

Liked: 24

It is my understanding the dealer can only send new ones.....you cannot even send one back to be filled....

Contributing Member a. pettipas's Avatar
    Liked: 84

How does UPS know the bottle is filled Halon? I wouldn't hesitate to ship something like this regular ground.

Aaron

I think the issues is....even ground can go air, the shipper has the choice to move the product however they want...you only pay what you chose...but they can...

Trucking is guaranteed to go ground.

Liked: 1

Default USPS and UPS

I shipped my empty bottle USPS.

It was returned UPS ground with a Dangerous Goods (DG) surcharge of $20.

Damn it was empty and not charged....go figure they probably opened it to find out ?
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul LeCain View Post
    I shipped my empty bottle USPS.

It was returned UPS ground with a Dangerous Goods (DG) surcharge of $20.

I'm guessing Paul sent his bottle out to the manufacturer - or whoever - to be re-charged, they sent it back filled with DG charge applied. The filler would have to disclose the content of what they are shipping, they're running a business and it's their ass! They would never take a chance on improperly shipping a DG. I wouldn't either - nor would I care as the customer paying for shipping - if the DG charge is only $20.

Aaron

Default Correct

Quote Originally Posted by a. pettipas View Post
    I'm guessing Paul sent his bottle out to the manufacturer - or whoever - to be re-charged, they sent it back filled with DG charge applied. The filler would have to disclose the content of what they are shipping, they're running a business and it's their ass! They would never take a chance on improperly shipping a DG. I wouldn't either - nor would I care as the customer paying for shipping - if the DG charge is only $20.

Aaron
    That's what I meant to say, and apparently didn't quite.

Weird you can buy a new bottle and have it sent but cannot refill. ??

I have had two dealers tell me that.

Default Somehow...

I'm not communicating what happened here.

I had an empty (fired, electric) Halon bottle.
    I sent it (empty) via USPS to be re-filled.
    It couldn't be returned USPS because it was now...full.
    It was returned UPS ground, with an additional fee (DG) of $20. The actual shipping was $11.35, total $31.35.

This was in the summer of 2009. Maybe Big Sis has changed the rules since then.

Paul, I completely understand, what I have been told is it can't be done ( you accomplishing this is great IMO)....so I what I get from this is fire the thing send it empty and get it filled.
    Last edited by DB4 Tim; 03.20.11 at 10:51 AM.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 86

Quote Originally Posted by DB4 Tim View Post
    Paul, I completely understand, what I have been told is it can't be done ( you accomplishing this is great IMO)....so I what I get from this is fire the thing send it empty and get it filled.
    Except that for what is typically costs to get one re-filled, you can almost buy a new one. So firing it off is a huge waste of money. Better to pay the haz-mat shipping fee or find a way to have it delivered outside of commercial shipping.
    Matt King
    FV19 Citation XTC-41
    CenDiv-Milwaukee
    KEEP THE KINK!

Why would someone fire off a full bottle, then send out for a recharge? Testing actuation? The needle on my LL bottle is in the green zone, full is full, it's going back in the car as is.

have it delivered outside of commercial shipping.
    we could establish a net work of who is going and coming from where......and hopscotch it across the country.....I like it

Doesn't it have a date on it for checking, I am a bit new to this however I did think there is requirement for inspection by authorized dealer....??
    Quote Originally Posted by a. pettipas View Post
    Why would someone fire off a full bottle, then send out for a recharge? Testing actuation? The needle on my LL bottle is in the green zone, full is full, it's going back in the car as is.

Doesn't it have a date on it for checking, I am a bit new to this however I did think there is requirement for inspection by authorized dealer....??
    In my experience - ASN/FIA Canada, SCCA, SVRA, HSR etc. - I have never had a tech inspector examine my fire suppression system that thoroughly, but that's not to say it can't or won't or shouldn't happen.

In fact, I have never examined my system that thoroughly!
    Last edited by a. pettipas; 03.20.11 at 6:22 PM.

Contributing Member Steve Demeter's Avatar
    Liked: 927

My local SCCA tech guy who does annual tech for me asks if I have weighed it. It has a pressure gage as well.

I regularly check both.

Easy and gives some peace of mind.

The thing about not being to ship or refill certain cylinders has to do with DOT approval which entered the mix a few years ago.

Basically it is not legal to ship a non DOT approved bottle that is pressurized.

Depending on the filler, they might fill a non dot one if you pick it up in person.

Lots of handheld fire extinbushers are being tossed because the cost to hydro test them, which has to be done every 5 years, for them to be legally refilled, costs almost as much as a new one.

Liked: 49

I assume the reason they can't be shipped via air is the same as when they tell me I need to let the air out of my bicycle tires before flying.. Somehow the pressure could go up like, a lot, and blow it up.

A friend much cleverer than me once worked out that if the plane was to somehow miss a turn and end up on the moon, the pressure in my tires might change from 60psi to an insanely dangerous 70psi.. Or about 30psi less than they're rated for. Phew, better safe than sorry!

Somehow I'm sort of sure that these bottles can take a 10psi increase without much trouble..

Liked: 8

Default Pressures

Tiago, actually the internal pressures remain the same. It is only the external pressure that is changing, albeit less. So there IS a differential change, but it is minimial. I recently flew my mountain bike into Phoenix from Toronto. No probs with tires or pressures or anything. Airlines are happy to charge the $110.00 to ship a bicycle.

By the way, you folks in Arizona and Utah have some awesome country!! I spent a week in Moab, and loved it! The views!! Nothing like this Ontario boy has ever seen.

Back to aircraft. The danger is less of an explosion, but more of the potential damage that can be caused by Halon in a closed environment. FAA take a serious look at this kinda stuff. The bottles will not explode.....if a simple change of 10 bar would explode a firebottle, what the heck are we doing with it located under our.....well, you know, jewels!!
    Tom Owen
    Owner - Browns Lane and Racelaminates.com

Default Halon Refills

If you need any refills of Halon i'm your guy boats cars buildings Halon Banking Systems will and can refill any bottles you need! shoot me an email and i'll give you a qoute ship me the empty bottle and i'll re fill and ship it back! chad.knuth@halonbankingsystems.us

Thread Information