When did the the Toyota engine come into F Atlantic -
    - Pro?
    - SCCA Nationals?
    - Regionals?

Vice Versa - when did the Cosworth phase out -
    - Pro?
    - SCCA Nationals?
    - Regionals?

I thought the Pro changeover was 1990 - but I see references to earlier cars, even RT4s, with the Toyota. Thx - Derek

Liked: 141

Connected question - where can I find a list of Runoffs winners (or complete results) in the period 1985-90? Preferably with engine info.

Following is list of Pro-Atlantic winners - can anyone advise which engines were used?
    - 1985 - Jeff Wood, Michael Angus, both RT4s
    - 1986 -Ted Prappas, Scott Goodyear, both RT4s
    - 1987 - Johnny O'Connell, Calvin Fish, both RT4s
    - 1988 - Dean Hall, Steve Shelton, both DB4s
    - 1989 - Hiro Matsush-ta, Jock Cunningham, both DB4s
    - 1990 - Mark Dismore, Brian Till, both DB4s.

Thx - Derek
    Last edited by dereklola; 03.27.11 at 2:30 PM. Reason: political correctness - shhhh!

Liked: 0

I think in 1989 we all were converted to the Toyota . We were given engine vouchers for 5k towards a TRD engine . All the races before used bdd,s .
    rp

"RP" thx.
    Were the vouchers for both Pro and SCCA? In other words did both change in 1989?

Two more questions - (1) I have hazy knowledge that the Cossies were still allowed in the 'first year' - was that the 1989 Pro series? - I assume there was no SCCA restiction. (2) I've seen earlier cars advertised - for instance RT4s - with Toyota engines - would they just be 'engine swaps' by owners?

Thx anyone.

Liked: 0

Not sure about club racing vouchers , I decided after seeing what happened to the S/V conversion from air to water nightmares to sell my TRD Toyota voucher and move on . I didn,t want to be in on the development of the engine . A lot of guys put the Toyota,s in Ralts in pro and club events .
    rp
    Peter Gates

Vouchers were only pro.

Classifieds Super License Charles Warner's Avatar
    Liked: 416

From memory, I believe the first RT-4 to be fitted with the 4AG was from the Northwest (Phillips?). It ran the pro series for a while. Several others were done - one ran out of my shop for two years. FWIW, the 1989/90 Reynards did not have a Cossie option. They were designed for the Toyota.
    Charlie Warner
    fatto gatto racing

'Cause there's bugger-all down here on earth!

Liked: 11

Fuzzy memory here too, but I recall the 4AGE being ok in club racing before it went pro. Nothing much changed for club atlantic except Toyota paid $800 for a national win , then dropped it to $600 then $300 then nothing as club FA became formula Toyota.

Liked: 80

Default vouchers

vouchers were for $7500 for a pro competitor, i flipped mine for a tidy profit without ever touching it, regards, jeremy hill

Quote Originally Posted by Paddy O'Brien View Post
    I recall the 4AGE being ok in club racing before it went pro. Nothing much changed for club atlantic except Toyota paid $800 for a national win , then dropped it to $600 then $300 then nothing as club FA became formula Toyota.
    Were many used before 1989? If your 800/600/300 is correct that would suggest they started being used in 1986 or so - is that correct?

Thx all - Derek

Liked: 11

Club Atlantic has almost always used ex-pro cars. I had a friend who won a national in early 1989(Swift DB4) and claimed he was the first Toyota national winner??

Liked: 7

[FONT=Arial]Here is what I remember from working with Hiro in 1989. 1989 was the first year of the Toyota Motor, you could still use the Cosworth for only that year in the Pro Series. Engine builds were open to any engine builder, including TRD. Engine kits and parts had to be supplied by TRD. TRD has supply problems in the first few months with engine parts, also there were reliability problems with valve springs early on. TRD stopped supplying complete motors after the Phoenix race, Tom Malaska left TRD after that and started on his own, he more than any one else increased the out put of the Toyota Motors that year. The best Cosworth Hiro had was 228hp, the best Toyota was 241hp. (All tested on Loynings Dyno)[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial]Here is a review of 1989 from OnTrack.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial][/FONT]

[FONT=Arial][/FONT]

[FONT=Arial][/FONT]

[FONT=Arial][/FONT]

Liked: 14

damn I miss On Track magazine.

selfishly curious if anyone ran a cossie at the runoffs after 98 my last year. I almost have to assume their was but the last RT4 running had a mazda in it.
    Kevin Firlein Autosport,Inc.
    Runoffs 1 Gold 3 Silver 3 bronze, 8 Divisional , 6 Regional Champs , 3x Drivers of the year awards

Liked: 9

Default Toyota Contingency

Toyota currently offers $400 to SCCA competitors for a National race win in a Toyota powered FA. You must register with TRD and display their decals on the car. Can't be much easier! Many thanks to Toyota!!

Thread Information