Liked: 9

Default '90 Reynard Throttle Cable

I just installed a new cable that Keith made up to replace the generic cable that was in my car. The generic looked like something Pegasus carries. There were a couple of shop-made brackets previous owner was using where cable was safetly-wired to brackets.
    Keith's cable is an exact fit but it seems to be about 2" inches too long for the throttle lever thats on my car. I am wondering if carb linkage is much different than what was used originally. I would like gas pedal to be close to even with brake pedal but with cable/linkage set-up I have the pedal is about two inches down. Can someone tell me if this throttle linkage looks like something close to the original used on a '90 Reynard?
    I will talk to Keith in the morning and see what he suggests. I guess I could get an aircraft shop to swage another threaded coupler onto cable.

Last edited by jdp526; 01.02.11 at 11:43 PM. Reason: ad

Liked: 3787

The cable sheath should come up through a bracket that is welded on the triangular bellhousing brace.

The brace runs from the upper chassis rail approximately under the Carb, to the top of the bellhousing behind the head. On that tube should be a bracket for holding the end of the sheath.

Keith's cable come with both ends of the sheath being adjustable through the use of two 3/4" thin nuts.

By lowering the sheat mount you will lower the end of the cable to the correct length.

You should also have a bracket to hold the other end of the sheath, mounted on the chassis about a foot rearwards of the gas pedal to adjust that end.

You only do the final "fine tuning" with the rod ends on the ends of the cable itself.

I wish I was near the shop I'd send a picture, then it would be obvious.

Mike, I do have the cross brace mounted onto top of frame rails. This brace does have the bracket where cable is mounted. The original cable bracket is also in the front too. I have both ends of housing tightened or lowered but cable seems to be too long.

You may have to do what I did.
    I built a new bracket for the gas pedal end that was about 2.5" farther rearwards than yours. I couldn't use that bracket that was welded to the vertical chassis tube.
    It was easier for me to build a new bracket than to shorten the cable.

Love Keith's cables, if for no other reason the color of the sheath.

I am at the end of threads on the cable sheath. The 1/2" of tubing left at ends is unthreaded. For some reason it appears that threads have been machined off 1/2" shy of end of tubing. Since I have plenty of adjustment on backside of cable sheathing at both ends, I may just shorten the cable and have another threaded fitting swaged on.

Yeah, Keith's cable is of excellent quality, only takes a couple of ounces of pressure to move cable, but where did he come up with that color of sheathing?
    Last edited by jdp526; 01.03.11 at 12:44 AM. Reason: add

I noticed that in your picture. and edited my post. but, not before your response.

Liked: 210

Quote Originally Posted by jdp526 View Post
    ...... but where did he come up with that color of sheathing?
    LOL we got one of those Frog colored throttle cables too.
    CREW for Jeff 89 Reynard or Flag & Comm.

Liked: 96

Take a pc of round aluminum about 2" long, drill and tap ID to screw onto sheath. Take a short bolt or pc of all-thread of same size and pitch, drill out ID large enough for cable itself to pass through and assemble by peddle mount. This will move sheath back 2" and still afford course and fine adjustment.

john f

Thanks for suggestions! I just got back from a hydraulic/cable shop and they shortened cable for me. Guess I will have to live with the color purple! Looks like Frog has rubbed off on all of us, lol.

Thread Information