Liked: 3

Default Caracal "D" complete body

Looking for complete unmalested D body with large cockpit opening for full windshield. Saw one here May last year and was wondering if it is availible. Thanks Bob Williams

Liked: 0

Default two sources...

First, check with Fred Clark in Jacksi\onville FL. He is Mr. Caracal.

Second source: Ski Motorsports, Jeremy Greiner. He has some neat ones, I believe authorized or licensed by Fred, Check their website.

will post both sites later

Contributing Member problemchild's Avatar
    Liked: 4361

http://www.apexspeed.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33987

I expect that was the original ad. Maybe the guy who bought from Jerry will sell one.
    Greg Rice, RICERACEPREP.com
    F1600 Arrive-N-Drive for FRP and SCCA, FC SCCA also. Including Runoffs
    2020 & 2022 F1600 Champion, 2020 SCCA FF Champion, 2021 SCCA FC Champion,
    2016 F2000 Champion, Follow RiceRacePrep on Instagram.

Liked: 16

Bob - Did you check with Jess Heitman? He may have one. His old car originally had the full windshiled.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 83

Bob, I have the ones mentioned in Greg's post above.

http://www.apexspeed.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33987

Let me know if either of these are the ones you meant and/or if you're interested.

John

Default caracal "D" body.

Hey John: Yes. That was the posting. I contacted Jerry, well, here we are. The #8 car appears to have the one piece body. Correct? Is there a nose, and is it in good shape? Do you have the plexi windshield? If not, is the "lip" still around the edge for the plexi? I guess a pic of the inside would tell me a lot. Thanks for getting back to me. the plan here is to get the car to it's original condition for this coming year. I need to make a decision pretty quick. Are you interested in selling? 604.838.8264 Thanks Bob

Liked: 0

Default Well, hellooo...

Just saw this resurrected posting.

I have a body that is like the #50 car, with a very large open area over the legs. I didn't notice this before but sure am glad I look at all the posts on Apex!

Is there any chance of getting a copy pulled from the part that covers the opening? My car has the indented lip already, just need the covering.

If so, how much would you want for a copy and where would it have to be shipped from? I am in Decatur, GA 30033 (suburb of Atlanta).

Thanks for any help you can provide..

Rick Johnson
    rickjohnson@mindspring.com

Cell: 404-310-4329

Contributing Member

Bob & Rick,

The #50 has the one piece body. There is no nose. It's actually in quite good shape - better shape than my late model D body. I don't have the plexiglas windshield, but the lip is there for the windshield to sit in.

I'll get back to both of you - Bob I'll call tomorrow night (Wed) if that works for you and Rick I'll send e-mail.

Regards,
    John

Hey Rick: We have a new driver here on the "wet" coast that has the D body, and also uses the solid f/g cover in place of the windshield. I was originally going to use his body work, join the engne cover and main body back together, and use it as a mold. Lots of work and not enough time. I can ask him if he is interested in taking a copy of the "cover" if you like. Bob

Liked: 49

I'm the new guy with the D body

Like I told Bob before, I am looking for an excuse to repair some minor cracks and repaint the body on my car, so I wouldn't mind him making a mold off of it as I would get it back nice and ready for paint - but as he said, he's running out of time to do that. Probably wouldn't be all that cheap either!

As for making a copy of the windscreen replacement bit - Rick, I don't have a problem with it, but I have no clue on doing any of this fiberglass stuff. If there's a way I can help you out, I'll gladly do so, but unless Bob ends up using my body to make a mold, I'm not sure there's much I CAN (as in "able"..) do! If you figure out a way of getting it done without me having to physically make a mold and lay some fiberglass, let me know!

I should really learn how to work with fiberglass (and it's in the big plan of things to learn!), but there is a big list of things I need to do/learn first.. Like general mechanics, driving, stuff like that

EDIT: By the way, Bob showed me a picture of the plexiglass screen.. How would I go about finding one of those? Looks awesome!

John: Would you phone me this evening as planned. The time difference is 3 hours?? Please leave a message and a number if I don't answer. I'll chek frequently. Flow bench will be operating and ear protection in. Thanks. Bob

Contributing Member

Bob,

Yes, I can call tonight - I just got in. what time works?

John

Liked: 190

Default Original Caracal D

Quote Originally Posted by Tiago Santos View Post
    How would I go about finding one of those? Looks awesome!
    Tiago,

Here is a real Caracal D "Razor Car" as originally built. When they came out, everyone thought they were "un-draftable" and would kill FV

Cool looking cars in their day.
    Bill Bonow
    "Wait, which one is the gas pedal again?"

Liked: 49

That's even cooler than the one bob showed me! Are there any still kicking around? That looks incredible, so late 80's futuristic haha.

Liked: 190

Tiago,

I could be wrong, but I remember the "D" came out in 1981. They ran like this for a couple of years and then had to make changes due to the fan shroud silhouette rule that came into effect (around '83 or '84?). Most removed the rear wheel pontoons almost immediatly.

Somebody could still have this bodywork, but it is non-compliant with current rules.
    Bill Bonow
    "Wait, which one is the gas pedal again?"

Contributing Member
    Liked: 290

Un-draftable... I guess they were not thinking about the four wheels sticking out in the air stream.

Brian
    Last edited by Hardingfv32; 12.16.10 at 7:18 PM.

Liked: 7

Default draft

Maybe not undraftable but my Caracal D windshield car could/would pick up a draft more quickly than any car I have owned before or since. I almost passed Fizzell twice on the back straight of the Road Atlanta @ the 86 Runoffs.

SteveO

Contributing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hardingfv32 View Post
    Un-draftable... I guess they were not thinking about the four wheels sticking out in the air stream.

Brian
    I was going to say the same thing. Everything else was dealt with as fairly nicely, though. John
    Last edited by jpetillo; 12.16.10 at 9:47 PM.

It would appear that I have found a body, thanks to John, Jerry and Apexspeed for the assistance. Getting it here is yet another challenge. But least of my worries. I'll post a picture of the car in it's original presentation before it was "morphed" into what I have now. Hopefully, I will get it back into the original condition before the season starts. Thanks again everyone. Bob Williams.

I failed to mention another very important person to which I am very grateful. Thanks Fred Clarke / Caracal Formula Vee for your input and support.

Thread Information