Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Liked: 190

Default US Formula First

Jim,

What Bob speaks of is the US Formula First Championship Series schedule for 2011. The FFDA will set that schedule after all divisional schedules are finalized. We always try to get it completed before year end so everyone has plenty of time for planning their races.

Bill
    Bill Bonow
    "Wait, which one is the gas pedal again?"

Liked: 0

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Bonow View Post
    Jim,

What Bob speaks of is the US Formula First Championship Series schedule for 2011. The FFDA will set that schedule after all divisional schedules are finalized. We always try to get it completed before year end so everyone has plenty of time for planning their races.

Bill

Yes, that's what I meant. CenDiv is all set as well, but I don't need to plan travel days for those. I've already told Mary I'm planning on doing more road trips in 2011 and hoping she'll come along.
    Bob Stack, Hartland, WI
    CenDiv - Milwaukee region

Liked: 5

Looking forward to even more FST cars at the ARRC next year.

. . . . . And F600's, too.

Jim

Liked: 50

Quote Originally Posted by jim murphy View Post
    Looking forward to even more FST cars at the ARRC next year.

. . . . . And F600's, too.

Jim
    Yes, not a great turnout for the FST's this year, but many had schedule conflicts and obviously a bad economy. Next year I suspect the field will be double.

But lets hope they put the F6's in with the FC's and FA's. They are rediculous fast. Had it not been for the fulll course yellow they could have lapped the field 3+ times. (Assuming they ran the full session.)
    Jim
    859-252-2349 or
    859-339-7425
    http://www.sracing.com

Liked: 10

Default ARRC - Video

Ok before we get to the video couple of thanks must go out to people for what was a very enjoyable season and a great weekend at the ARRC.

To SR Racing (Jim & Greg) thanks for providing a great car and plenty of entertainment at every meeting. Big thanks to Brandon and Jermey who toiled away making sure the car was ready to go and did the hard yards when it came to changing engines, or fixing mechanical niggles. To Butch, Barb, Bill, Carl, Doug, Robert, Randy, et al, thanks for making the off track moments almost as much fun as the racing.

The ARRC was a lot of fun this year despite the freezing temps and the smaller field. I was disapointed I didn't quite have what I needed to take the fight to Doug but he has been the class act to beat all season - I look forward to next year.

So heres the video, I did edit out my pace car lap spin, which left me starting at the back of the pack. Watch for the FFord broad side on the track (19:45in) - I think I missed him by centimeters (sorry inches).

http://www.vimeo.com/16630640

Enjoy, Rob

Quote Originally Posted by sracing View Post
    Yes, not a great turnout for the FST's this year, but many had schedule conflicts and obviously a bad economy. Next year I suspect the field will be double.

But lets hope they put the F6's in with the FC's and FA's. They are rediculous fast. Had it not been for the fulll course yellow they could have lapped the field 3+ times. (Assuming they ran the full session.)
    But yet the F6's (1:30.8) or the F5's (1:31.6) have not matched the FF track record at Road Atlanta (John Robinson - 1:30.3) or most other tracks so your statement that they are ridiculously fast is without factual basis - however, they DO make an impression of going very fast with the 16K RPM but the lap times do not lie. They do NOT belong with the WINGED formula cars, period. Besides, once the IIR's are developed, the lap times will slow down a little.

Addendum - Some other reasons for being lapped: The split start left the FST group too far back and it was a 20 lap race rather than our usual 18 or fewer lap races.

Jim
    Been messing with F5's, and now F6's, since 1982.
    Last edited by jim murphy; 11.08.10 at 6:55 PM. Reason: addendum

Liked: 0

Doh didn't realize I was replying to the last post on page one. This doesn't make any sense right here.

Up here in the midwest we have this thing called winter. It's a time when people have nothing better to do then figure out when to go racing again. We are all to busy outside in July to be thinking about next year

Liked: 58

Default Great

Awesome video Rob

Liked: 50

Quote Originally Posted by jim murphy View Post
    ... or most other tracks so your statement that they are ridiculously fast is without factual basis - however, they DO make an impression of going very fast with the 16K RPM but the lap times do not lie.
    They ARE rediculously "fast." Yes, with their suspensions and little downforce they won't turn the lap speeds capable. But 11 to 15 seconds a lap faster than the firsts and many of the fords indicate "fast." to me. And doing that with their slow cornering speed indicates even "faster" to me. A 1:7+ power to weight ratio at 850 lbs will do that.
    Jim
    859-252-2349 or
    859-339-7425
    http://www.sracing.com

Quote Originally Posted by sracing View Post
    They ARE rediculously "fast." Yes, with their suspensions and little downforce they won't turn the lap speeds capable. But 11 to 15 seconds a lap faster than the firsts and many of the fords indicate "fast." to me. And doing that with their slow cornering speed indicates even "faster" to me. A 1:7+ power to weight ratio at 850 lbs will do that.
    Please re-read my whole post - the F6 is still slower than the NATIONAL FF lap record AND there were mostly regional FF drivers racing. Also mimimum weight is 875 lbs (75 more than Fred Edwards' 494 F5) and the MC HP is in the 120+ range which is about 15 HP more than the 2 strokes. Last, the IIR's will be bringing the MC HP down. Just reminding you of the facts in this matter so that you don't draw the wrong conclusion.

Jim

Liked: 151

Default great video

Rob

You are becoming our best film director. And thanks to Traci for the great stills. Its amazing to me how little you see from the pit straight and you miss the great drives which were going on out there.

There are more videos and more stills ready to post.

One thing for sure that Rock Johnson did a great job coordinating the FST event and Friday lunch. Even the ice pellets coming down didn't dampen our enthusiasm.

For those not in the know, Rob's great drive took place with a broken head stud! Not bad!

More to come!

Liked: 7

Default live T&S

I really enjoyed the live timing & scoring of the race so I could follow the progress from here in Kentucky - very cool and thanks to whoever in the Atlanta Region set that up.

Congrats to everybody involved in the FST championship series this year - I've read nothing but positive comments on the board here and from folks on Facebook as well. It's a real shame I didn't make it to the track this year, but I'm doing everything I can to figure out a way to be back at it next year. It sounded like way too much fun this year!

Matt Gordon

Default Audio from the race

Check out this link to listen to the call of the race by the track announcers:

http://www.apexspeed.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42640

As you would expect, lots of talk about the faster classes but they do cover the FST race as well.

Doug FST 5

Default Podium Celebration

Go to this link for a quick video of the podium celebration at the 2010 ARRC.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0IJQRKpvF0g

My eyes sting just watching that!

Doug FST 5

Default ARRC a bit late but

I've been immersed in a lot of problems but I have a few off track and on track pictures to post---first from the paddock.
    Last edited by rgu; 11.20.10 at 12:02 AM.

Last edited by rgu; 11.20.10 at 12:05 AM.

Default From the paddock

[FONT=Calibri]Even though a number of competitors needed to nix their trips to Atlanta this year for some pretty good reasons, those that came had a great time. Next year it’ll even be bigger and better. Our event organizer Rick Johnson managed a number of things such as our PR, he also ordered up a great lunch from Sonny’s, sponsored by the FFDA, that remarkably went for two days and he got us a place to have our annual awards ceremony. Technical Tool Solutions again donated series trophies and Hoosier Tire awarded a new set of tires to our hard luck winner. These awards are as follows:[/FONT]

[FONT=Calibri]Series Points[/FONT]

[FONT=Calibri]1. Doug Seim[/FONT]
    [FONT=Calibri]2. Bill Bonow[/FONT]
    [FONT=Calibri]3. Carl Middeledge [/FONT]
    [FONT=Calibri]4. Robert Clark[/FONT]
    [FONT=Calibri]5. Jason Steeb[/FONT]
    [FONT=Calibri]6. Butch Deer[/FONT]

[FONT=Calibri]Jason Steeb won the “Rookie of the Year” Trophy for his excellent performances at a number of tracks. I’m looking forward to Jason’s 2nd season. Butch Deer won the Hoosier Tire hard luck award which is given the driver scoring the least amount of points per races entered. This award is a full set of Hoosier Tires. [/FONT]

[FONT=Calibri]For those who couldn’t make it to Atlanta, here are some pictures that Traci Clark and I took which show a few off- track highlights. Both Traci and I apologize for not getting a few pictures of the Nigel Smallfaucet racing rig but we’ll be ready next time.[/FONT]

[FONT=Calibri]First-- It was cold!!! Especially in the morning when we got to the track. Here is one attempt at carb warming on Doug Seim’s car. Seemed to work- the car started right up [/FONT]

[FONT=Calibri]Carb Warming[/FONT]

[FONT=Calibri][/FONT]

[FONT=Calibri]Bill Bonow had his car way apart for a while. I really hadn’t paid a whole lot of attention all season but Bill really knows how to build an Evolution. Look at this fine construction detail. Every part of this car looks great. Its new owner will be getting a gem. [/FONT]

[FONT=Calibri]Evo detail[/FONT]
    [FONT=Calibri][/FONT]

[FONT=Calibri]Alan Adderly drove up from Florida with his new FST. His first job was to get a warm jacket and the second was to solve an instability problem under braking. This is typical of FST races. Bill Bonow and Steven Davis pitch in to get the job done before the next session. Others like me leant moral support[/FONT]

[FONT=Calibri]Help Brakes[/FONT]
    [FONT=Calibri][/FONT]

[FONT=Calibri]Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/FONT]
    [FONT=Calibri]Here is Rob Clark being serious about his trophy. Look at those great trophies---Thanks Carl!!![/FONT]

[FONT=Calibri]Rob Clark Trophy[/FONT]
    [FONT=Calibri][/FONT]

[FONT=Calibri]Here is another picture of Allan’s Caracal with his own Silver Bullet body. What a beauty and pretty damn functional too. I bet Allan sold a few of these at the track. Allan bolted on a set of new Hoosiers for the race but he broke a valve spring (huh!!) before the start and he didn’t even wear off the stickers on the tires. Don’t worry though because this car is going to be really fast next time out. [/FONT]

[FONT=Calibri]Silver Bullet[/FONT]

[FONT=Calibri][/FONT]

[FONT=Calibri]One of the great contingencies given to the series winner was this great jacket from Trackside Tim’s awarded to Doug Seim. Many thanks to Tim Lee for this great gesture. Doug also won the ARRC Grand Prix race using a Roxanne stainless exhaust and this he also received a cash award for a first place finish with his super-efficient Roxanne system. Thanks to JR.[/FONT]

[FONT=Calibri]Winner Jacket TT [/FONT]

[FONT=Calibri][/FONT]

[FONT=Calibri]][/FONT]
    [FONT=Calibri]Next Some on track pictures[/FONT]

Default on track one

As Promised, but slow in coming, are a few very nice pictures taken by Traci Clark at the ARRC.

http://s521.photobucket.com/albums/w...view=slideshow
    Last edited by rgu; 11.25.10 at 3:34 PM. Reason: added pics

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information