Liked: 2

Default Dry sump size and configuration

-- for a GSXR. What capacity is most advisable? Also, has anyone used the following:

OBX aluminum oil dry sump tank. This tank is perfect for those who are building a dry sump system for small engine based projects such as a go kart, motorcycle, jetski, or off-road buggy. The model comes with 4 oil feeds (all male) at the top and 2 oil feeds at the bottom ( 1 male and 1 female) ; 6 total connectors. Oil drain is also located at the bottom, but not seen in the pictures below. This dry sump tank hold approximately 2.5 quarts. The tank also has an internal baffle system and utilizes a 2 piece design. Approximate dimensions of the tank is 11.00" H x 5.00" W.

It's an Ebay item, and beautiful for easy packaging in the chassis. But. Is it large enough?

Thanks to all ---

Chris Crowe

Liked: 126

I looked at that OBX Chris and decided against it. I think it is too small...

Are they -10 or -12 connections?

Contributing Member glenn cooper's Avatar
    Liked: 136

Default Nix the OBX

it's not nearly large enough capacity.

You'll have a whole lot more success with something approaching 8 qts total in the complete oil system.
    As the cooler, pan, and lines don't hold much, that means a tank of approx 7qts capacity.
    The line from the tank to the engine should be as short as possible, andd -12 if at all possible. This helps to ensure that the oil has an easier time getting to the engine oil pump.
    The tank should be tall and skinny, AND be able to be taken apart for cleaning and inspection. Peterson makes a tank for a C5 or C6 'Vette that appears to be ideal.
    I originally used a Speedway brand tank in my Novak conversion as it was inexpensive.
    Suprise of suprises, there's a reason why it was only $250 or so. Due to it's simple design, allowing the top to unbolt and lift straight out with the deaeration plates in a stack, the plates did not extend to the inner wall of the tank, as in a proper design.

Spend the $'s on a proper tank even though your buddy's uncle's friend is a fabricator by trade and worked with Sox and Martin on a top fuel car in '72, does not in and of itself mean that you will end up with a properly engineered piece for any less cash outlay - just get the Peterson deal and be done with it.

Default Thanks Rob and Coop!

Roger all. I understand these engines are cooled to a great degree by their oil supply. So, logic would kinda dictate: more is more. Guess I needed to confirm that. Thanks again for the help ---

Chris Crowe

Liked: 553

Back when I was shopping for a small tank (but with enough capacity) I went with this:

http://www.pegasusautoracing.com/pro...asp?RecID=7328

The price was more than I wanted to spend but it worked well. Good internal design and easy to clean.

The picture shows two fittings on the top but this particular size only comes with one. I had my welder buddy add another fitting (so I'd have one for engine vent and one for catch can), as well as a temperature guage port.
    Racer Russ
    Palm Coast, FL

Default Thanks, Russ ---

Pricey, yes. And fit -- yes. Thanks for the heads-up.

Chris Crowe

Liked: 80

Chris -

The tank that came with the kit is a good Petersen tank, they call it their "Flower pot" model. I think it's a 6qt tank, and it worked well with the car, though it may be a lot more difficult to try and package in an FB.

At any rate, let me add another thumbs-up for the Petersen stuff, it's nicely made, and they were friendly to work with.

Hope everything is going well,

Cheers!

-Jake

Default Thanks, Jake ---

You sent me all good stuff.

Thanks -- !

Chris

Thread Information