Liked: 27

Default What the SCCA scrutinizes

I thought this would be interesting and let the world know what SCCA scrutinizes after the race.

First off, many thanks to the SCCA technical staff, Moses Smith and Darryl Drummond for their support of the FM class and their hard work.

This is a laundry list of the items checked

1) Car weight after the race with the driver
    2) Fuel
    3) Rev limiter checked to be under 6850
    4) All three wing profiles and sizes
    5) Carb chokes and venturis
    6) We pulled the intake manifold and exhaust header to allow Darryl Drummond(engine builder of all of the motors) to check inside the motor with a borescope(sp?)
    7) All seals and compliant safety wire is in place
    8) All five gearsets pulled and checked for proper ratios
    9) Ring gear and spool removed, inspected and weighed for compliance
    10) Flywheel removed, material inspected and weighed
    11) Pressure plate and clutch removed and inspected

Pretty extensive...

Great job trying to keep a level playing field to all of those involved.

Darryl

Liked: 1

Darryl,

Congrats on your win. Do FM's still use spec shocks? And if so, is the shock valving ever checked by SCCA tech? Thanks.

Liked: 14

I can add to Darryl's list that when we had Robs car on the podium they also checked brake rotor thickness,sway bars, and size of bump rubbers. They even checked that stupid piece of safety wire on the gearbox drain bolt. They checked the supertrapp plates as well but thank god that rule is long gone.

The Runoffs is the one time a year you are happy to take your car home in a box. Been thru it 7 times and enjoyed every one of them.
    Kevin Firlein Autosport,Inc.
    Runoffs 1 Gold 3 Silver 3 bronze, 8 Divisional , 6 Regional Champs , 3x Drivers of the year awards

Liked: 27

I agree Kevin...
    They didn't check the shock valving but my understanding is that the standard valving is pretty good. I have done a lot of testing and am not at the top or bottom of the available dampening settings.

Thread Information