Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Banned
    Liked: 1116

Quote Originally Posted by Speed Sport Engineering View Post
    My understanding is that the rotary engines don't have a typical horsepower curve that drops off after a certain RPM. Meaning that by being able to run the motor a few hundred RPM higher, there is a definite HP advantage. Can anyone confirm this?
    Depends on the carb/intake/exhaust package. Turning a few hundred more RPM may not be producing any more horsepower but if it allows you to run a 5% shorter gears and not give up any top speed that would obviously be a big advantage. Especially if you are mistake prone or mommentum challenged (car will recover speed quicker). Even if you geared the same you'd have a 3-4 mph top speed advantage (7000 rpms vs. 6750 at 130mph) and essentially walk away from others.

Liked: 0

Good point. Nix the first item. Now on to the second. If the tech guy witnessed this and then they discovered that he actually went out and ran without it, wouldnt a harsher penalty be applied?
    Ken

Banned
    Liked: 1116

Hmmm....dangerous precedent. What if you had your fuel tested prior to the race, it failed. You went back to your paddock spot, tried to flush the system thoroughly, bought different fuel and then failed post race for fuel again?

In cases like blatant known cheating, I feel it is best to be further dealt with by your competitors. Varies by competitor but most club racers get a bunch of "value" from our racing weekends from the interaction with our racing friends. When your competitors won't give you the time of day and you don't have the respect or admiration from any of your fellow racers....I don't imagine that would be too fun for too long.

If that doesn't work, I'd bet there would be at least one fellow racer that wouldn't mind being the enforcer for a time frame. Nobody likes to be fixing beat up cars all the time. Ooops, my dirt track roundy-round roots are showing.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 215

Somebody call a sports psychologist! Start a thread, get DQ'd all while your competitors and you clearly don't like or repect each other based on cheating allegations.

This is ugly enough to be a tin top controversy.
    Last edited by jim morgan; 09.28.10 at 1:04 PM. Reason: delete cheat,plausible explanation

Amherst, New York but i left my heart in San Francisco
    Liked: 292

whenever i read about this JR guy there is some bad, sad news for the sport

Liked: 3787

So here's what i'm wondering. I have never run that model MSD. Can you run without the chip, and then on the cool down lap plug the chip in, and go to impound? Assuming the box is mounted where you can reach it. Since the placement of the box is open.

Senior Member Franklin Futrelle's Avatar
    Liked: 6

yeah, u can just pull the chip. all us fm guys ran at the arrc one year and we all pulled the chips to run FS. its alot faster. it wasnt much faster down the straight top end cause we aero out, just crazy acceleration . your competitors should know by hearing your shift points since we all run the same gear stack

Quote Originally Posted by jim morgan View Post
    Somebody call a sports psychologist! Start a thread, knowingly cheat(if thats true) all while your competitors and you clearly don't like or repect each other based on cheating allegations.

This is ugly enough to be a tin top controversy.

That's funny. I used to read the IT boards from time to time just to listen in on the controversies. Same reason I read the Radon posts except that is pretty tame.
    Ken

Liked: 157

Quote Originally Posted by Speed Sport Engineering View Post
    My understanding is that the rotary engines don't have a typical horsepower curve that drops off after a certain RPM. Meaning that by being able to run the motor a few hundred RPM higher, there is a definite HP advantage. Can anyone confirm this?
    Not having the rev limiter in a rotary is much more of a big deal than not having one in a piston engine in which something will break quickly if you over-rev. A rotary will rev far beyond its rev limit, the apex seals of the rotor will just suffer a little down the road. In a race the advantages would be huge.

I dont know Juan except from this forum, he has dug himself a pretty big hole, will be interesting to see if he can explain this one away.

Contributing Member Steve Bamford's Avatar
    Liked: 619

This seems to fit into this post well.

http://emedia.entertonement.com/audi...2/716/2716.mp3

Liked: 91

Seriously. Is this thread serious? This can't be real. No one is possibly this dumb.

When was the last time someone started last at the Runoff's and finished first.

How could anyone be this dumb?

JR needs to sue Siebkins. It's their fault, he was still drunk when he strapped in, he didn't realize what happened and he got DQ'd.

Right?

Seriously?

I've done some dumb $hit.

But Seriously.

This is retarded.

And when I say retarded, I'm being nice.

and when I say I'm being nice, I mean I would drive my FM off a cliff.....

When one views themself as the epicenter of the universe, nothing seems dumb.

Default The silence is deafening

After the bold statements at the start of the thread I can't wait to hear from the big man himself.

This topic seems to come up every time JR shows up to the race track. It frustrates me that 1 person can cause such a black eye for a class.

FM is a great class with very close competition. Trust me it takes allot of hard work to get to run the times the top 5 run in this class. I have been working at it for years. I am finally at the edge of the leaders. Doing it by the book and on 1/2 the budget of the top guys.

To have a person who disrespects a class in this way is beyond words. To outright cheat, drive around the field and win....... What did you really prove? All you did was steal the glory away from everyone else who worked hard all season and did it the right way.

I don't think I speak for myself when I say I think it is time to find a different place to race JR. ( Just my opinion )

I want to thank Moses for all the work and time he puts into this class. With the close racing and competition I think this class is well on it's way to big fields again. Thanks for the support.

Hopefully we can put this whole mess to bed and talk about how fast and close the racing was this year. One of the fastest and closest fields I can remember.

FM #85

Liked: 391

So far everyone is just going on hear-say as to what actually happened. We might never know the truth. I've never met JR, and I can't tell if some of the things he says on here sound worse then he means them to be because of translation issues, or if he really is a jerk.

Until the whole story becomes clear on the rev limiter infraction, I won't pass judgement. But from his previous posts and the rumors, I would say it doesn't look good. I'm surprised he hasn't had anything to say to respond to this, as he sure was quick to reply the other day.

Not matter the outcome, this has been very entertaining!

Liked: 14

The RPM pill acted up on the way to the grid, under 20 minutes to the race, the car would not accelerate past 2000 rpms on the way to the paddock. I decided to go straight to the tech/impound building. There I immediately received assistance to check and adjust the rpm pill, the numbers where all over the place on the MSD test tool, the pill on the car is adjustable so I tried to adjust it to make it change or stabilize on some number but it was bouncing all over the place. I send my crew chief to go see if any other FM teams on the paddock where available, running out of time. We tried to adjust the pill and the readings wouldnt change, the cars rolled out behind the pace car. We tried adjusting the pill and no luck, the cars were out on track behind the pace car. The engine cover went back on,the gloves then the helmet. I went on to race. The decision was made after the last race of the day, that my car was not compliant, the rpm limiter was was out of spec.
    During post race impound, the inspectors noticed that the 3 inch + wire that jumps between the two Bosch Blue coils, was disconnected. The car came off the track with power to only one of the 2 coils. The tech inspector does not have to disconnect the + wire to either of the coils to perform the MSD tool test. The + wire came must have disconnect prior to heading up to the grid when my fuel cell breather hose started discharging from cell being overfilled. That was a bad scenario, we rushed to take the engine cover off so i could access the breather hose and block the breather hose, fuel kept coming out. The team used rags and we got things dry quick. I think i involuntarily disconnected the + coil wire while trying to access the fuel cell breather hose. From this point on things didnt go as planned. I got back in the car to go to grid and now the car barely started and didnt rev past 2000, i went under the bridge and straight to impound to adjust pill.

The race was great, the leaders had more speed than me, my times were not the fastest. I capitalized on the braking zones and doing side by side racing/drafting.
    I want to thank the SCCA for helping through a tough week, and for the support of friends, fans and family. This year wasn't meant to be and God has been on my side.

Kind regards

Juan Marchand

I will investigate to see if having no power to that coil prevented the MSD tech tool to dial the RPM limit at tech, while the cars where out on the pace lap. It really sucks. My MSD chip was always set to a low setting of 6792 out of the max 6850. I shift at 6600 to 6760.
    The reading from the chip was 9949 after the race, at impound before the race and while the cars were rolling up, the reading never stabilized and bounced all over the place( did not adjust to multiple sweeps of the screw in either direction. A real shame. It never gave us a reading and the tech inspector was sure that the MSD ignition tool was properly hooked up.

Sorry, this is an attempt to go over what happened, I am not asking for mercy on your comments or cloud over the anger this causes. I have to shut up now and if there are any questions or comments please feel free to put them here, I will be the bearer of this misfortune.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 100

sounds like a bit of misfortune.
    however, there is a lesson to be learned in all of this.
    none of this would have been hashed about if the thread would have never been started in the firsat place.

mark d

Looking back at this thread it appears as a test bed for karma, I didn't manage well and was very stubborn and naive. My comments were harsh and stupid, I can be my worst enemy. This is what God ordered. I accept.

I want to congratulate Darryl Willis(2010 FM Champion), Mike Anderson, Jason Vinkemulder and their teams.
    Yes, big lesson learned.

Default God on your side?

I was going to keep my mouth shut here until you brought God up. If your a believer then God is on everyone's side not just yours. We are club racers we have no fans. You are bad for the class and are delutional. Your a theif you stole Wills victory lap and Jason's podium.
    Robert Noell #27FM

Contributing Member formulasuper's Avatar
    Liked: 61

Very entertaining, indeed!
    Scott Woodruff
    83 RT5 Ralt/Scooteria Suzuki Formula S

(former) F440/F5/FF/FC/FA
    65 FFR Cobra Roadster 4.6 DOHC

Liked: 18

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Kirchner View Post
    "Must be some personal beef. The only time the Anza boys post is around the runoffs and in conjunction with a JR post.
    Rick, you need to get your facts straight, I have only posted on this forum Two times to defend myself against JM's ridiculous statements against me. the June Sprints This Year and The Run Offs This Year.
    Last edited by Mike42; 09.28.10 at 3:48 PM.

Liked: 27

I can't stand this any longer and want to put this crap to bed. Juan, you stole a very important moment for me, my family, my friends and my sponsors by knowingly racing a car with an illegal performance advantage. You did not pass me on the brakes but rather on the front straight. I made a comment to my Dad that your car was hurting my ears when you went by....Now I know why. I want to kick your ass so bad that it is clouding my enjoyment of the National title that I have finally won. I extended kind words to you on the victory stand and was rewarded with what? If you are truly regretting your actions then feel free to PM me and I will make arrangements to discuss this in private and not on the web.

Congratulations Darryl on your national championship. I used to race you a little in FM and have raced with you several times with my FE down in Texas. You are an excellent driver and very deserving of the championship. I am sorry that your championship was tainted by somebody that knew they were not legal. He stole some of the glory that you deserved. Hold your head high, because you deserve it.

Liked: 8

Default National Champ

By JM's reaction to the speedcasttv interview he new things were not right. Watch the interview. Mr JR was subdued and very sheepish.

Non-involved bystander.

Tim Webb
    #24 FF

Quote Originally Posted by RStephens View Post
    Congratulations Darryl on your national championship. I used to race you a little in FM and have raced with you several times with my FE down in Texas. You are an excellent driver and very deserving of the championship. I am sorry that your championship was tainted by somebody that knew they were not legal. He stole some of the glory that you deserved. Hold your head high, because you deserve it.
    ABSOLUTELY! I couldn't think of a better way to say it! Congrats to you, Mike, Jason, and the rest who played fairly and properly!

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Webb View Post
    By JM's reaction to the speedcasttv interview he new things were not right. Watch the interview. Mr JR was subdued and very sheepish.

Non-involved bystander.

Tim Webb
    #24 FF
    If they do what they did last year, anyone who got a DQ will be cut out of the interviews entirely. There was a bit of a fiasco with AS last year, and that is what happened there. The live interview went, of course, but the edited version is due to be out on Speedcast soon.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 215

If you innocently were running a race, and suddenly knew, through some mechanical mishap your car is illegal (which in a spec class would be evident) by superior engine performance. Why would you get on the podium.

Too much work and time put in by all to be jerked around by this. Don't know the history but the players don't like each other.

Good thing this is club racing, in other forms of racing over the years someone would be hurt by now.

Default Juan: why did you appeal the DQ twice?

Juan: please forgive me if I don't have my facts correct but I think I do. I was in tech for 5.5 hours waiting on the outcome of your appeals from the DQ they gave you. I don't understand Why you were appealing since you knew the issue they were not happy about was the same one you had before the race?

It saddens me to hear all this talk about a class I have raced in for five years all over the country. I have worked to help promote it and create great competition for all involved so whoever wins knows they beat the best!

I refuse to let this taint Formula Mazda or anyones accomplishments this year.

Darryl: you the man. Congrats to you on a well deserved win. Stick around would ya? Congrats to Anderson and Vinkemulder as well. Good job guys!

I'm in the process of helping to create the most competitive year yet for FM. Formula Car Challenge has lots of big plans for next year. How about that Indy Car weekend?

Many racers in the class have come up and told me they are having a great time. We are on a roll baby. If you are reading this and thinking about what class to race in with competitive racing and fun guys. This is it! Win a race in FM and you can flat drive....

Formula Mazda: "Nobody is having more fun"

I was not informed of having an illegal part in my car until after the race. I tried solving a problem by going to tech. The procedure of checking the MSD box by the tech steward showed no evidence of the RPM Limiter being above the maximum reading allowed or below, it was not an accurate or successful test. The heat of the moment. I went on to race. In the last laps i passed the 2010 Champion by going three wide in the front straight, things got loud. In turn three I dove under another competitor and then another competitor ran out of gas by T7 to take the lead a little under a lap to go. I didn't mean for my equipment to go bad minutes before the grid. My car was not the fastest, we went three wide and then the other two guys fell off the pace. The part was compliant until after the race, it was always a 6790's chip. I shift between 6400-6700. The part failed on the way to the grid.

I never appealed the protest. I never appealed the protest, again, I never Appealed the protest. Nobody from my camp appealed the protest.
    The Protest was Appealed straight by the SOM, yes thats right. I did not appeal the protest, the SCCA did. The SCCA denied the motion to DQ based on the grounds of their own. SCCA SOM did it not me. I didn't appeal any of the other 4 protests thrown at me this past week. I had nothing to hide in my car. The fact that my part failed and i had made an attempt to have it fixed doesnt mean the car is illegal, i had witnesses at tech. I was offered help by the SCCA to turn in my data box so it could be looked at, that motion was denied because FM's do not share a spec data box and the data could not be used as evidence after all. I did not appeal a protest, ever, ever.

The car was officially non compliant only after the race, if it would've been non compliant, a black flag would've been shown to me before the end of the race, just like having a loud muffler. The car was compliant throughout the race, I was NOT going to put a legal car back in the trailer.
    Somebody can get hurt, it sounds like i can get my ass kick, it sounds like i might get jumped in the future. I am not making any kind of arrangements to discuss this in private.

If I would've put the car on the trailer or go to pitlane on the last lap my life would turn into something I could not bear. I didn't know, officially that my car was non compliant. People would've accused me anyways of something. I was not deemed non compliant until after the race, some 5 hours after the race. Club Racing is Racing, don't take away from it calling it club, i heard that going three wide on the front straight is ridiculous in club racing, meaning what exactly. I am not delusional nor have drinks or drinks at Siebkens.

Contributing Member glenn cooper's Avatar
    Liked: 136

Default Geez Dude

Juan,
    Now is the time you just need to STFU and go away for awhile.

It's so sad, I used to consider you a fellow racer, although we were never tight or friends, but you had my respect as a fellow racer.

About a year or so ago this started to change, as you were starting in the back and motoring by people to take race wins.
    Yeah, this happens sometimes, but in a spec class, w/ nearly equal HP, AND some of the fastest FM drivers in the same race? Something's not adding up.

Still, I filed the things I was hearing as sour grapes from disgruntled competitors who got beaten.

The whole episode from the Cat National when you posted the video of you hurrendously jumping the start, nearly hitting other racers as you barged through on a a 3 green flag, 3 way split start among 3 different classes, then bragging about it really started to open my eyes.

The whole flippin' the bird thing, arrogance, and then bringing God into it - that part really pisses me off. Although I am not a deeply religious person, don't you think God has a little much on his plate at the moment?

Who are you going to race with now?
    It seems as though the whole field is on to you.
    I have always given the benefit of the doubt and in your case maybe a little more, due to a possible language barrier, but the post above is talking about you appealing the DQ, not protesting a protest.

So many instances, so many excuses.

This is so sad.
    When you strip the real champion of his moment of glory, that's pretty unforgivable.

If there was ever a racing version of "The Boy Who Cried Wolf" this has to be it...
    Last edited by glenn cooper; 09.29.10 at 9:46 AM. Reason: corrections

Liked: 391

JR, do you have data from the race you would be willing to share? Let's see what kind of RPM you were turning during the race. If you stayed below 6800, then this whole issue goes away.

Liked: 27

Juan,

Since you do not want to talk to me in private then I will tell you where the anger is coming from. If your car was found to be non compliant after the race on an item outside of your control( like a rev limiter chip heating up and posting a rev limit out of the acceptable range) then I would have extended my sympathies to you. BUT...when a tech official tells me that you knew your chip was set above 9800 RPMs and they told you it was non compliant before the race. And your response to them was I am racing anyway. That pisses me off!!! The officials checked your rev limit first in impound fully expecting to discover what they found. No excuses from you can paint over the facts.

Darryl

Ok, well said Glen, thank you.

I did not appeal the DQ, did not, did not appeal the DQ.

I however will not accept to individuals sentencing, of being the boywolf crying that should go away. There is no language barrier. Trust me, there is no language barrier. I did not appeal the DQ.

So if you start from the back in an FM there is no chance of winning. The red flag brought the race to me, help bring the field together. No human can race and win from the back in a spec class, my car has never been DQ'd, a part failed before the grid. The part was still legal.

if u pull up to the grid with a limitless rev limiter, your car is illegal. unless we are taking the nascar approach and your arent illegal until you get caught.

we tried setting the chip, but the MSD tool was not reading and bouncing all over the place, no steward made a comment of the it being non compliant because the test was not showing a specific number, I never said "i'm racing anyways". The test with the msd tool at impound, minutes prior to the race did not show any numbers neither it was final or made me non compliant. no flag or action was taken to make me think that i was non compliant.

we tried setting the rpm, no number was recorded, no flag, or action was taken by the officials before or after the green flag. i had a 6792 chip that failed and the procedure prior to the race did not showed evidence of my chip being over the limit, it did not read a number, it bounced all over the place.

so..... the test of your rev chip in tech before the race did not show that your rev chip was way too high? bascially you could not get a reading at all? that makes it a little better than you knowingly having a lets just say 9500 rpm rev chip and racing with it. you raced with a rev chip that could have been 3500 or 9500, you didnt know?
    im just wondering because i dont want to judge you on lies.

if its me though, i dont race unless i know its legal. juan u are an extremely fast and talented driver so people are always gonna wonder. no one cares if 10th places rev chip is illegal. i had a fast car and it was legal. i used to encourage rigorous tech and let people scour over my car. next race let all the fm competitors come look at your car, give them your setup, you will still outrun them most likely.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information