Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Liked: 24

Quote Originally Posted by Speed Sport Engineering View Post
    Code:

Nothing has ever been mentioined about the Impact gear being defective beyond a 'bogus' Chinese manfucatured SFI label.
    Actually, in the latest press release, item number 2 indicates that in addition to the non-compliant lables, SFI has found suits prior to 2009 to be made with non-compliant materials that pose a safety risk to thier users.

Like you said, nomex is nomex. Which is why I commented on it seems fishy to me. What can possibly be non-compliant in the suit?

This luckily doesn't effect me, but I still say something seems bogus.

......THREAD..............

Liked: 1417

Default It's official...

SFI Decertification of Impact Racing, LLC. Products

Effective immediately, specific products manufactured by Impact Racing, LLC prior to 2009 are decertified and do not meet the criteria for SCCA competition as required by our General Competition Rules (GCR). Details are noted in an SFI press release dated April 21, 2010, Details about the decertification and the products involved can be found at www.sfifoundation.com.

Drivers who have purchased these items from Impact Racing, LLC that do not have a date in them should contact Impact Racing, LLC to obtain a letter confirming the manufacturer date of their items. If the date of manufacture is prior to 2009, it is the driver’s responsibility to correct the situation.

SCCA technical inspectors will continue to inspect driver gear and perform annual technical inspections in accordance with the GCR. Drivers continuing to use these decertified items, do so at their own risk and will be subject to a non-compliant ruling when detected.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 86

So much for the June 1 delayed enforcement bulletin issued last week.
    Matt King
    FV19 Citation XTC-41
    CenDiv-Milwaukee
    KEEP THE KINK!

Contributing Member John Nesbitt's Avatar
    Liked: 910

Quote Originally Posted by Matt King View Post
    So much for the June 1 delayed enforcement bulletin issued last week.
    Last week's Racing Memo (#5) did not set June 1 as an enforcement date.

It simply stated, "SCCA is delaying enforcement of the decertification pending further evaluation." Today's Racing Memo (#6) indicates that they have finished their evaluation.

You may be thinking of the June 22 end of Impact's participation in SFI.
    John Nesbitt
    ex-Swift DB-1

Contributing Member

Quote Originally Posted by John Nesbitt View Post
    Last week's Racing Memo (#5) did not set June 1 as an enforcement date.

It simply stated, "SCCA is delaying enforcement of the decertification pending further evaluation." Today's Racing Memo (#6) indicates that they have finished their evaluation.

You may be thinking of the June 22 end of Impact's participation in SFI.
    Nope, SCCA issued a revised bulletin later the same day setting June 1 as the date, which was confirmed to me personally by Kevin Yaghoubi in Topeka when I called. Here is the text that was posted on another site by a member of the CRB:

SUBJECT: SFI Decertification of Impact Racing, LLC. Products
    Per the attached press release, as of April 27th,2010 products manufactured by
    Impact Racing, LLC prior to 2009 are decertified and do not meet the criteria for
    SCCA competition as required by our General Competition Rules (GCR). Drivers
    who have purchased items from Impact Racing, LLC that do not have a date in
    them should contact Impact Racing, LLC to obtain a letter confirming the
    manufacturer date of their items. If the date of manufacture is prior to 2009, it is
    the driver’s responsibility to correct the situation.
    Given the size of our driver population and the potential number of competitors
    this may affect, SCCA is extending the effective date of this ruling to June 1st,
    2010. After June 1, 2010, drivers in this situation will be expected to be fully
    compliant with the GCR.
    SCCA technical inspectors will continue to inspect driver gear and perform
    annual technical inspections in accordance with the GCR.
    Matt King
    FV19 Citation XTC-41
    CenDiv-Milwaukee
    KEEP THE KINK!

Yes, I saw that on the AS site. However, it doesn't appear to have been distributed to race organizers/officials.

Today's Racing Memo #6 has been widely distributed to race officals, so I would regard it as operative the next time you go to the track.

At least until the next memo.
    John Nesbitt
    ex-Swift DB-1

Contributing Member

Quote Originally Posted by John Nesbitt View Post
    Today's Racing Memo #6 has been widely distributed to race officals, so I would regard it as operative the next time you go to the track.
    Which happens to be tomorrow! I hope I can get my shoes through tech.
    Matt King
    FV19 Citation XTC-41
    CenDiv-Milwaukee
    KEEP THE KINK!

Quote Originally Posted by Matt King View Post
    Which happens to be tomorrow! I hope I can get my shoes through tech.
    Shoes and gloves don't carry an SFI requirement, do they? I think it is only suits and belts.

Contributing Member

There are certifications for them, and Impact has been decertified from using them, but I don't think SCCA actually requires those items to be SFI certified, so I should be OK. Knock on wood!
    Matt King
    FV19 Citation XTC-41
    CenDiv-Milwaukee
    KEEP THE KINK!

Liked: 210

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Carter View Post

SCCA technical inspectors will continue to inspect driver gear and perform annual technical inspections in accordance with the GCR. Drivers continuing to use these decertified items, do so at their own risk and will be subject to a non-compliant ruling when detected.
    But exactly what does that mean?
    CREW for Jeff 89 Reynard or Flag & Comm.

They way I read it is, if you continue to use Impact products against the SCCA and SFI mandates, they aren't liable if something happens to you caused by the inferior Impact products. Meaning, if you sneak a fastball by them, it's your ass, so to speak.

Hmmmm.... Every time you put your safety gear on (you chose it) you do so at YOUR OWN RISK.

Just because SCCA requires/wants you to have SFI or FIA certified gear, they do not assume any liability for the performance of the specific product you're wearing.

If you 'bait and switch' by going through tech with OMP gear then put on your decertified Impact stuff, the club isn't any more liable then they would be if you stayed in the OMP gear.

i.e. You're always 'at your own risk'... Just an odd choice of words.

All they had to say was the gear is decertified and you won't get through tech with them.. over and out.

Matter of fact, with that wording the implication is there that you CAN continue to use it all be it not good.

Liked: 10

If you did pay the $25 dollars for Impact to put the FIA certification stitching on the collar then your Impact Suit remains legal for use in SCCA per the GCR, regardless of the SFI decertification.

Quote Originally Posted by teamclark View Post
    If you did pay the $25 dollars for Impact to put the FIA certification stitching on the collar then your Impact Suit remains legal for use in SCCA per the GCR, regardless of the SFI decertification.
    Technically you are correct as, the decertification was done by SFI numbers and date of manufacture which doesn't effect FIA ratings at all.

On the other hand, under the SCCA Feudal system and the bizarre nature of this event, you can rest assured Tech Inspectors are going to be somewhat a _ _ _ retentive about Impact gear when it comes through.

Banned
    Liked: 1116

The fact that SCCA has a tech process where safety gear is inspected and given a nod of approval at least exposes them to risk of defending themselves in court.

We can sign waivers, we can enter at our own risk, and we can assume liability...doesn't mean some judge or jury somewhere won't decide that SCCA had some responsibility.

Liked: 25

Does this de-certification affect Impact's helmets also? Mine was purchased in 2007 and actually has the correct HANS posts.

Quote Originally Posted by rbrowsky View Post
    Does this de-certification affect Impact's helmets also? Mine was purchased in 2007 and actually has the correct HANS posts.
    Helmets usually have a different certification (Snell, not the SFI certification that is at issue). As long as your helmet has SA2000 or SA2005, you are good to go.
    John Nesbitt
    ex-Swift DB-1

Classifieds Super License Charles Warner's Avatar
    Liked: 416

[FONT=Book Antiqua]"Impact Race Wear Ban:[/FONT][FONT=Book Antiqua] This ban will apply to all Impact brand suits, shoes, gloves, neck[/FONT][FONT=Book Antiqua] supports, arm restraints, harnesses and undergarments without an attached date-of-manufacture label[/FONT][FONT=Book Antiqua] showing 2009 or 2010 build date. Items WITH attached 2009 or 2010 date-of-manufacture labels AND [/FONT][FONT=Book Antiqua]attached SFI certification labels are not affected. Impact brand helmets are also not affected"[/FONT]

[FONT=Book Antiqua]From the HMP sups for their races this year.[/FONT]
    Charlie Warner
    fatto gatto racing

'Cause there's bugger-all down here on earth!

Liked: 29

Default Impact Receives Court Stay

www.speedtv.com

Jim Gustafson
    Visual Communications

Contributing Member
    Liked: 95

This makes it a little easier to find!
    http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/artic...es-court-stay/

Liked: 0

Default For what it's worth...

IMPACT PRESS RELEASE - AUGUST 3rd 2010

SFI Foundation and Impact Racing are pleased to announce they have resolved their differences. Impact will remain a participant in the SFI programs in exchange for certain consideration and under revised contracts. The parties look forward to a constructive working relationship to benefit the racing industry and to promote the safety of its participants. Impact agrees and accepts that the SFI specifications are state of the art and promote a high level of safety and performance in the auto racing industry. Impact acknowledges that in prior years it did not fully comply with SFI's specifications, however these problems have been resolved. The terms of the agreement between the parties are confidential.

Liked: 42

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Devol View Post
    IMPACT PRESS RELEASE - AUGUST 3rd 2010

SFI Foundation and Impact Racing are pleased to announce they have resolved their differences. Impact will remain a participant in the SFI programs in exchange for certain consideration and under revised contracts. The parties look forward to a constructive working relationship to benefit the racing industry and to promote the safety of its participants. Impact agrees and accepts that the SFI specifications are state of the art and promote a high level of safety and performance in the auto racing industry. Impact acknowledges that in prior years it did not fully comply with SFI's specifications, however these problems have been resolved. The terms of the agreement between the parties are confidential.
    Holy class action lawsuit waiting to happen Batman.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread Information