Contributing Member Allan Davies's Avatar
    Liked: 0

Default Racetronic troubleshooting

I'm having some issues with my Racetronic system on my Bertils VW engine and wondered if anyone out there in SV land would be willing to lend their expertise to help out.

Thanks!

Allan
    allandaviesnm@gmail.com

Default Racetronic

Bertil once mentioned that you can open it and clean the potentiometer slider surface, and will clear up many issues he' s seen thru the years..
    What is it doing,or not, if you can describe it?
    Ricardo

Hi Ricardo,

It's running rich everywhere, apparently, (just sooting up the plugs horribly)...stumbling at anything other than absolute full throttle.

I'd originally thought it was an ignition problem since it had a cracked rotor and a corroded distributor cap, but changing that stuff out didn't cure it. The fuel pressure was also slightly high at 3.4 bar but I adjusted that down to the recommended 3.2 bar...no change. Still running rich.

Thanks for the idea on cleaning it internally. Sounds like (brain) surgery, but I'm willing to give it a try!

Regards,

Allan

Default box

...and the external pots don't lean it out? I think it's pot A for low RPM mix, and B for top end mix?
    I remember I had a major issue when installing mine with injector control...came to be wiring problem in the bundle going to injectors...
    Ricardo
    ...worse comes to worse, my unit is out of the car right now....
    Last edited by RVJ; 06.21.10 at 11:13 PM. Reason: add text

Haven't played with those adjustments to this point, but that's another option for sure. I'll try cleaning it first to see how that works (certainly couldn't hurt), and then experiment with the adjusters.

Thanks Ricardo,

Allan

Liked: 17

Allan,

Are you working on the SA6 or 4? Good luck fixing the problem.

Tim Bland
    Anson SA4

Hi Tim,

It's the SA6. The SA4 is on Webers. Ricardo has given me a couple of things to play with, and I'll give that stuff a try.

Regards,

Allan

Liked: 14

Default racetronic

Hi Guys!
    Alan,
    I never had problems with it, but I remember sending it to a guy on Long Island who had built them. He remapped it for the 1800cc. Bertil could probably tell you the info on him, if still around, and ask him what fuel pressure to run, it's far less than needed for the mechanical injection.
    Cheers,
    Mike

Finally sorted it out, with a big thanks to Ricardo for aiming me in the right direction.

After pulling the cover off the ECU, I could see that the slider was about a third of the way down the rail...turns out the cable was mis-adjusted, so it was easy enough to slack off the cable until the slider was down towards the end of the rail.

Went out yesterday and presto! Runs like a champion again (this car has won a lot of races for me).

Thanks again Ricardo, and everybody who contributed (especially my friend and local rocket scientist Larry Haynes).

Allan

Glad to hear you were able to get things sorted out and back on the track. The SA4 is running great and will be on the track this coming week.

Tim Bland

Default !

Great news for sure! ..glad to be of some help.
    Ricardo

Ricardo, you are THE MAN!

If you hadn't aimed me at the ECU I'd probably still be chasing stuff. It's been a long slog, but now the car is running brilliantly. On the other hand, I'm probably going to put it up for sale soon. My bride/crew chief Francesca has convinced me that I need 2 race cars like I need 2 wives (!), and one of them has to go.

As much as I love the SA6, I think I'm going to keep the SA4. I'm still struggling with the choice. You all will know my decision soon enough.

Best regards,

Allan

Keep to me posted on which one you decide sell.

Tim Bland
    Anson SA4

Thread Information