Thread: Trailer tires

Liked: 174

Default Trailer tires

I have a 16' foot enclosed dual axle trailer that has low mileage on it.
    I was wondering how long everyone goes before replacing their tires
    due to age.

Thanks!

Mark

Liked: 72

According to RV experts no more than 4 years. Mine rarely last that long before suffering separation. I inspect every time I stop and often replace tires with buldges to prevent blow outs. I also carry extra tires in case I'm in the middle of nowhere and have a blow out. All trailer tires have issues and since I put serious miles on them my expectations are low.
    The above post is for reference only and your results may vary. This post is not intended to reflect the views and opinions of SCCA and should not be considered an analysis or opinion of the rules written in the GCR. thanks, Brian McCarthy, BOD area 9.

Liked: 174

Brian,

Is that 4 years for RV's or everything including race trailers with low mileage?

Mark

Liked: 5

Unless you are storing the trailer in climate controlled storage, I would replace them every 4 years, even with lower mileage. Tires age sitting out in the heat and sun and will get brittle. I have heard of some people who replace them every other year, especially in the south.
    Chris Ross
    09 NovaKBS F600 #36 Powered by '09 600 Suzuki GSX-R
    "If all else fails, immortality can always be assured by spectacular error." John Kenneth Galbraith

Liked: 72

Yes, that's 4 years for everything. The loading is the issue. Combine that with the lousy condition of most roads, and trailer tires are practically throw a ways. Volumes have been written about brands, ratings d vs e, and other factors but the truth is trailers eat tires. Especially when it's hot out.
    The above post is for reference only and your results may vary. This post is not intended to reflect the views and opinions of SCCA and should not be considered an analysis or opinion of the rules written in the GCR. thanks, Brian McCarthy, BOD area 9.

Liked: 3787

I'm a big believer in three (3) years as the upper limit. I've never had a failure. Lots of my friends have huge black swirls on the sides of their trailers, missing fenders, and colorful stories of being on the side of the highway on Sunday night.

Four tires for that size trailer are just not that expensive, even for an el cheapo like me.

Maybe a longer life is possible if you store them inside, unloaded, with reduced pressure. Does anyone really do that?

OBTW, i go 7 years on my RV tires.

Liked: 96

So, Frog, have you done the math?

Is (3 years X trailer tires) + (7 years X RV tires) = or < (4 years X everything) ?

Last edited by Beartrax; 08.15.10 at 2:03 PM.
    "I love the smell of race fuel in the morning. It smells like victory!"
    Barry Wilcock
    Pit Crew: Tumenas Motorsports/Houndspeed, Fat Boy Racing

Contributing Member Steve Demeter's Avatar
    Liked: 927

Keep them armor alled and do the insides as well.

Get some tire covers from Harbor Freight and when you see the first sign of sidewall cracking or anything untoward, replace them.

The conditions that every tire sees are different and sometimes you might see bad things appearing in 2 years. Replace them then.

And I always carry 2 spare trailer tires.

Liked: 308

Over the years....my trailer tires have had tread separations during their 4th year on the trailer....my personal rule now is after 3 years the tires get changed....no questions asked.

Thread Information