Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Liked: 190

No Randy or Reese for RA, too far & limited budget. Randy was just at Gingerman last weekend. Both will be at Grattan.
    Last edited by Bill Bonow; 07.16.10 at 11:10 AM.
    Bill Bonow
    "Wait, which one is the gas pedal again?"

Liked: 58

Default good sized group

We're at a 26 car run group at this point. The start should be fun....

Liked: 0

Quote Originally Posted by Doug FST 5 View Post
    We're at a 26 car run group at this point. The start should be fun....
    Wow! lucky for me I'll be in the back and can watch it all unfold!

FYI - there's a 30% chance of rain on Saturday in Elkhart Lake
    Bob Stack, Hartland, WI
    CenDiv - Milwaukee region

Liked: 151

Default Free parking

Race Formula FST at Road America and get free parking all weekend. Tax on pit vehicles though.

Liked: 3

Always wanted to walk RA like I have done other places but afraid of getting fined (or shot) for violating some obscure rule.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 86

You ought to come up for the American Cancer Society Run/Walk on Oct. 30.

http://www.roadamerica.com/events/ev...tion.asp?id=83

http://community.acsevents.org/site/...ry&fr_id=28220
    Matt King
    FV19 Citation XTC-41
    CenDiv-Milwaukee
    KEEP THE KINK!

Too far for an event like that it is 5hrs. one way from my house.

My track walks generally take place on friday evening or early (dawn) saturday morning. Although looking at the scenery is nice it is more of an inspection of the track itself more than anything else.

My dad started taking me along with him on his walks when I was a little kid. You would be surprised at the stuff you can pick out that you don't see at speed.

Dave

Now that we've wandered off, back to FST racing at RA.

Default More fun per $

The more I read about the "taxation" at the "ripoffs" the more I'm glad I'm running the most fun Regional series going.

Doug FST 5

Doug,

I like that thought........ Come race in The Hoosier US Formula First Championship and not only can you go home with 10X more free tires per racer than the Runoffs, but you won't get charged to park in our paddock either! I talked to someone today that said their parking fee was $1,150 !!!!!!

FWIW, we are once again right at 10% of the event entry. We have 27 cars in our group consisting of:

(1) CFF, (6) FF, (11) FST, (1) FV and (8) F5

Weather looks to be great with a high of 81 both day and just a slight chance of rain (30%) sometime on Saturday.
    Last edited by Bill Bonow; 07.21.10 at 11:06 PM.
    Bill Bonow

Quote Originally Posted by rgu View Post
    Race Formula FST at Road America and get free parking all weekend. Tax on pit vehicles though.
    I didn't get this at first until I went up and read the Run-offs parking thread! Holy Crap! Am I glad I converted! The ony reason I was thinking about staying in FV was so that someday I could maybe drive the Run-offs - but obviously I CAN'T AFFORD the Run-offs! That's amazing.

But it begs the question - is there a parking/paddock surcharge at the ARRC?

See you all Saturday!

Bob Stack, Hartland, WI

Default Shhh

No! Just southern Hospitality

Quote Originally Posted by rgu View Post
    No! Just southern Hospitality

Looking forward to some real chicken-fried steak and biscuts!
    Bob Stack, Hartland, WI

Quote Originally Posted by lawyerbob View Post
    But it begs the question - is there a parking/paddock surcharge at the ARRC?
    I'm speaking without proper authorization (Butch Kummer would be da man), but the only thing you get at the ARRC is happy people welcoming you to a great event. Nothing but smiles, service, well wishes and great memories. Simple answer, no parking fees at the ARRC.

I'm getting to the point that I wish my home track was the other RA.
    Bill Bonow

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Bonow View Post
    I'm getting to the point that I wish my home track was the other RA.
    I still think of my "home track" as the Milwaukee Mile. But I have a bad feeling I could end up homeless based on this year's turnout!
    Bob Stack, Hartland, WI

Liked: 174

It's a shame that those racer's who busted their hump both financially
    and time wise are then screwed by the parking surcharge placed on
    them by BOTH the SCCA and RA. They should be honored for their
    efforts, NOT penalized because the track feels they can do so.....

Mark

Mark,

Different event, there is only a charge at the June Sprints and the Runoffs. The HOOSIER TIRE FORMULA FIRST CHAMPIONSHIP has no additional parking fees at any of our events. That is what makes our series so great, better racing and humain treatment of our competitors. Maybe someday you'll come back our way?
    Bill Bonow

Everyone that we thought would enter did and we've got (11) FST's coming to Road America! Looks like a pretty good race group as well with (6) FF's, (1) CFF, (8) F5's and (1) FV.

Here is the line up for rounds 5 & 6 of THE HOOSIER TIRE FORMULA FIRST CHAMPIONSHIP at Road America on July 24th & 25th hosted by Milwaukee Region SCCA

# 5 Doug Seim - Mysterian M5.1 - AutoWerks/P&NP - Okeana, OH
    # 9 Bill Bonow - Campbell Evolution - Plainfield, IL
    # 11 Aaron Deer – Campbell Evolution – RaceCarSupply.com – Elgin, IL
    # 13 Robert Stack – Adams Aero – Hartland, WI
    # 25 Aaron Meyer - Campbell Evolution - Rocklin, CA
    # 26 Carl Middelegge - Campbell Evolution - TTS/Orbitalum - Lake Forest, IL
    # 35 Dave Blevins - Caracal C - Cincinnati, OH
    # 37 Robert Clark – Campbell Evolution – Rochester, MI
    # 41 Scott Meyer - Campbell Evolution - Rocklin, CA
    # 69 Jim Roemer – Campbell Evolution – Trailer Leasing, LLC- New Berlin, WI
    # 88 Dave Dawson - Campbell Evolution - South Bend, IN

Coming into this event, Bonow and Seim are tied for first place points. Should make for some good racing. Hope to see some fellow Apexspeeders at RA
    Bill Bonow

Default Weather

Looking at the hour by hour for Elkhart Lake tomorrow, looks like a chance we'll be qualifying in the rain and possibly racing in the rain on Saturday.
    Bob Stack, Hartland, WI

Any results yet for us wanabee's?

Default Cool evening

I've been enjoying the evening a bit too much so this news is late -but - Carl had the pole by a half second. In the race it was Seim, Middlegge, Bonow and Clark - all running in a pack throughout the race. The margin of victory was about 4 feet. The gap from 2nd to 3rd was a little longer. An epic race long battle.

Doug FST 5

Default Great Weekend

Well...

This was the most fun racing I have ever had. The Saturday race especially. The weather was great and the racing even better.

I was on the pole for the sat race, I had a great start moved up into the 500's and Fords but a 500 spun at 3 and I had to drive off course. I spent the next 4 laps trying to catch back up to the field. I eventually ran the down and had a great battle with, Doug Seim and Bill Bonow, I couldn't tell you how many times we went back & fourth, the last lap Doug Seim & I were side by side through 1, 12, 14 and at the line I was about 3 feet Short with Bill Bonow about 3 feet behind me. We were actually 3 wide several times, going into 1, 5 and 6, but we all played nice and made it through.

The Sunday race was very anti climatic for me. Qualifying was really close. Robert Clark had the pole with a 240.2 the next 4 cars were separated by less than a second. Dave Dawson was second, but crashed on the final qualifying lap in 12 and was unable to repair the car, I was third, Doug Seim was 4th, but was also unable to make the race engine issues, Bill Bonow was fifth. Scott and Aaron Meyer were 6th & 7th and each session were making progress and were now down in the low 2:42's.

On the pace lap a formula 500 spun in turn 5 on his own fuel leaking from the car, We all had to avoid him as he was at the corner exit. As we were headed into Canada corner still scuffing tires he came driving past the field to resume his position.

At the start of the race he had a bad start along with a FF which jumbled the field up. I was able to pass Rob Clark around the outside of three. Headed down to 5 the 500 passed both Rob & I and turned in and was again spilling fuel almost spinning. he continued up the hill and at 6 spilled fuel and spun coming to a stop in the middle of the track. I was able to get by but chaos ensued behind. Rob Clark checked up and was hit By Bonow, Rob Spun, he was able to rejoin in last, Bill was able to continue on, Aaron Meyer hit the 500 that was stopped in the track, I think both drivers were OK. They Black Flagged the session to clean up the mess @ turn 6. Bonow had to retire leaving, Middelegge, Scott Meyer, Aaron Deer, Jim Roemer, Dave Blevins, Robert Clark remaining. They gave us 5 to go. I hung on to Michael Greens CFF for 2 of the 5 laps remaining and pulled out a good gap. Robert Clark was able to run down Butch, and Scott Meyer, and finished 2nd Scott Meyer finished 3rd.

Robert Clark has really good video hopefully he will be able to post it. My Camera quit and I only have the first lap of the Sat Race I will post that later this week. All in all a really great weekend.
    Carl Middelegge
    2007 Evolution MK 1.3 FST

Classifieds Super License samiam520's Avatar

Default Check One Off The Bucket List

Well Road America was everything I expected and more. What a beautiful facility and setting.

I want to thank S.R Racing for providing 2 FST's for my son and I to rent for the weekend. Everything went pretty well except my son out qualified me for the second race. He was specifically told not to do that but he does not listen well. I was lucky to end up with a podium finish in the second race mainly due to attrition, but I will take it.

I want to thank everyone for making us feel welcome and we really enjoyed the camaraderie within the group.

Hope to be able to come back and race with you folks again.

Pictures below if your are interested.

http://s138.photobucket.com/albums/q...n%20Adventure/
    Scott

2006 Crusader FV & 2010 DFC10 FST

Default Great weekend overall!

Thanks to Robert and Randy for a great weekend of putting a competitive car on the grid.

On Sunday we discovered a relatively minor engine problem too late to resolve it before the green flag. That's too bad. I was really hoping to get in another wonderful turn by turn battle like we experienced on Saturday. That's the kind of action we all get into racing to experience. Its great to run so close with drivers you can trust to run you hard, but run you fair.

Also thanks to the entire FFDA for another fantastic event. I can't wait for Grattan!

Doug FST 5

I'll simply say that Sunday I got DNF (one lap) becasue the electical problem which we orignlly thought was battary related, turned out not to be. Plug? Wires? Initition? Coil? who knows - something to figure out before Mid-Ohio I guess. Too bad too, once I swithced to the "better" tires, the car actually seemed better during quaifying.

Next time.
    Bob Stack, Hartland, WI

Default Official Race Report

THE 2010 HOOSIER TIRE FORMULA FIRST CHAMPIONSHIP held rounds 5 & 6 at Road America in Elkhart Lake, Wisconsin. Round 4 was held on Saturday, July 24th and Round 6 on Sunday the 25th. This is the 8th continuous season of a US Formula First racing series.

Road America has always brought out a small group of Formula First competitors due to the towing distance for many of the competitors. This time was a big improvement with 11 cars making the long tow. A number of new drivers showed up for the first time this season ready to do battle.

The official line up for rounds 5 & 6:
    # 5 Doug Seim - Mysterian M5.1 - AutoWerks/P&NP - Okeana, OH
    # 11 Aaron Deer – Campbell Evolution – RaceCarSupply.com – Elgin, IL
    # 13 Robert Stack – Adams Aero – Hartland, WI
    # 19 Bill Bonow - Campbell Evolution - Plainfield, IL
    # 25 Aaron Meyer - Campbell Evolution - TTS/Orbitalum – Rocklin, CA
    # 26 Carl Middelegge - Campbell Evolution - TTS/Orbitalum - Lake Forest, IL
    # 35 Dave Blevins – Caracal MTV III – Colerain RV – Cincinnati, OH
    # 37 Robert Clark – Campbell Evolution – Rochester, MI
    # 41 Scott Meyer - Campbell Evolution – SRacing.com – Rocklin, CA
    # 69 Jim Roemer – Campbell Evolution – Trailer Leasing LLC - New Berlin, WI
    # 88 Dave Dawson – Campbell Evolution – Nelson Ledges – South Bend, IN

Saturday

Q 5 Notes:

Formula First raced in Group 4 along with FF, CFF, F5 and FV. The mix was never an issue as many of the other cars were simply testing prior to the Runoffs. They knew why they were there and stayed clear of us. The cars were on the track at 10:24 am and Middelegge look to be the man to beat taking pole at 2:40.530. At Post race impound, Scott Meyer was underweight (first time in rental car) and was moved to the back of the grid.

Q 5 Results:

Middelegge 2:40.530
    Seim 2:41.099
    Bonow 2:42.390
    Clark 2:43.821
    Deer 2:48.846
    Roemer 2:55.932
    Blevins 3:01.097
    A. Meyer 3:01.496
    Stack 3:03.755
    Dawson 3:17.908
    S. Meyer 2:46.275 (underweight at impound)

Round # 5 Race Notes:

Round 5 was one of those “you should have seen it” races. A continuous battle between 4 cars for 10 straight laps. Seim, Middelegge, Bonow and Clark, multiple lead changes and nose to tail racing.

Round # 5 Race Results:

Seim 2:41.124
    Middelegge 2:40.771
    Bonow 2:41.165
    Clark 2:40.622 ** Fast lap
    Deer 2:46.206
    A. Meyer 2:44.561
    Dawson 2.43.300
    Roemer 2:53.834
    Stack 3:03.230
    S. Meyer 2:47.688 (DNF)
    Blevins 2:57.357 (DNF)

Sunday

Q 6 Notes:

Sunday morning qualifying looked to be a repeat of yesterday race with Dawson added to the mix. Cooler temperatures and blue skies allowed for the front 5 to qualify just over a half second apart. It looked like the afternoon race would be fantastic. On the last qualifying lap, Dawson overshot his braking into T-12 and contacted the inside retaining wall ending his day.

Q 6 Results:

Clark 2:40.551
    Dawson 2:40.625
    Middelegge 2:40.668
    Seim 2:40.736
    Bonow 2:41.241
    A. Meyer 2:42.803
    S. Meyer 2:42.837
    Deer 2:44.506
    Roemer 2:50.009
    Blevins 2:55.007
    Stack 3:02.050

Round # 6 Race Notes:

Some days just don’t turn out like you thought.

Just prior to race start, Seim had noticed an issue with his engine and made the very tough decision to call it a day. At the start of the race, a faster F5 had a major fuel leak causing the F5 to spin at T-6. The spin caused a accordion style reaction that took out Bonow and Aaron Meyer on lap 1. Stack had ignition issues that caused his retirement on lap 1 as well. The race was stopped while the carnage was cleaned off the track. This left 6 cars on the track. Middelegge was unchallenged in the shortened 5 lap race with a tight battle between Clark, Meyer and Deer for the final podium spots.

Round # 6 Race Results:

Middelegge 2:41.499 ** Fast Lap
    Clark 2:42.306
    S. Meyer 2:43.056
    Deer 2:45.195
    Roemer 2:49.151
    Blevins 3:01.097
    Bonow DNF
    A. Meyer DNF
    Stack DNF
    Dawson DNS
    Seim DNS

Next: Formula First Returns to Grattan Raceway

Our next event will be Rounds 7 & 8 at Grattan Raceway on August 14th & 15th hosted by the Western Michigan Region of the Sports Car Club of America. The event looks to bring out another large and competitive group of Formula First cars.
    Bill Bonow

Default RA Photos

Here are a couple of photos from the event

(Courtesy Of Linsey Meyer and Chris Herzog - Thank you for the images)

Saturday Podium

Middelegge - Seim - Bonow

Sunday Podium

Clark - Middelegge - Meyer
    Bill Bonow

Liked: 10

First of all I had a great weeeknd, the racing was real fun, and I just love the RA track. Thanks to Branden, Jeremy and Jim for providing me a fast car that ran smoothly all weekend.

I have video from both races and Sunday's qualifying, although my camara mount did get a little drunk and disorderly a few times, as you can see from the footage. I will post up the video as soon as I work out how.

Saturday's race was a real challenge, I got a bad start and lost the tow to Bill and Doug. Carl caught up with me after his 'excursion' and helped pull me forward to make a four car race at the front. Then I made what was the first of several dumb mistakes, that would drop me off the front pack, leaving me to claw my way back over several laps - luckily the 'friendly' dicing at the front allowed me to catch up. With about 4 to go I was back for about the 3rd time when I ran wide over the ripple strips at turn 8 and the car popped out of gear - and the front 3 skipped away. I tried to close down the gap, but ran out of laps and could only settle for making the gap look respectable at the line - but I was able to come away with the fast lap - thanks to a monster 3 cars tow from Carl, Bill and Doug.

Sunday qualifying as a blast, with Carl, Doug, Bill and myself running nose to tail the whole session, and with Dave Dawson joining in it was going to be a lottery who got the pole. Luckily it was me.

The Sunday race however was anything but predictable as others have mentioned Doug had engine issues and couldn't make the start, Dave had a qualifying incident and was out despite qualfying 2nd.

On the pace lap the guy in a 500 has fuel gushing from his car in turn 5 - he spins on the fuel and is passed by most of the rest of the field - however he proceeds to race back through the field on the pace lap to take his orginal grid spot. Race start is good, Carl and I are side by side through 1 and I lift to let him take turn 3 and drop in behind. Down into turn 5 and the 500 is still gushing fuel, up through to turn 6 and everything goes pear shaped.

The 500 spins and parks himself in the middle of the track, Carl dives to the inside I check up and get pushed into a spin by Bill, leaving me facing the field and blocking the LHS of the track. Aaron Meyer is next and with his Dad outside him has no where to go but to plant the 500 in the side, and the rest of the field streams through on the RHS. I re-join last - but the race is black flagged. Bill has to retire with a mechanical issue.

Back in the pitlane they start to re-form the grid, but they leave me last and re-start the race with 5 laps to run- so now I am a little ticked off - steam is coming out of my ears. I have about 10 cars between me and Carl, so its going to be a challenge. In the end I managed to catch and pass Scott and Butch for 2nd with one lap to go, but Carl has too much of a lead to reel in.

So now its off to Grattan. Look forward to seeing everyone in 3 short weeks.
    Last edited by teamclark; 07.27.10 at 11:44 AM.

Default Point Through Round 6 Are Up

Doug Dale has updated the points to reflect rounds 5 & 6.

They can be found here:

http://www.formula-first.org/html/2009_points.html

Looks like all the chaos of Sunday's race served to tighten up the points battle quite a bit.
    Bill Bonow

Default what's the penalty for that?

I was not at the track for the Sunday race - what was the steward's penalty for the F500 driver? He passed many cars during the pace lap under full course yellow conditions. This behavior directly endangered himself and the other drivers that would not expect a car to try to work through the field. If the penalty for setting foot on the RA track after hours is losing your license I can only imagine what this guy has coming. My only guess is they are waiting for him to win a race at RA to impose the penalty.

Doug FST 5

Liked: 50

While the full weekend was great with good weather and exciting racing, the best "race" I think ever saw was the Sunday morning qualifying. Lap after lap of close drafts, passes and 3-4 abreast at times. All done very close but gentlemanly.

The FST's put on an excellent show ALL weekend and had it not been for one non-FST screwing up (and some SCCA messups) it would have been flawless. Congrats to all the podium guys and also congrats to the non podium guys who also gave us a good show.

Jim
    SR
    Jim
    859-252-2349 or
    859-339-7425
    http://www.sracing.com

Doug,

I didn't put much of it in the race report, but in post race impound, the attending stewards said the pace lap spin, fuel spillage and subsequent passing was never called in by any of the corners! They were scrambling around post race to figure out what happend. They didn't realize the offending vehicle was the same car that caused the T-6 crash/black flag all.

Here is a photo of the offending F5 coming through T-5 on lap one.....another 100 yards or so and the party is over.

It was pouring out so fast, I had to figure the fuel cap was left off the cell. He is damn lucky it didn't catch fire.

PS: Any comments about roll bar to helmet height?
    Bill Bonow

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Bonow View Post
    PS: Any comments about roll bar to helmet height?
    Maybe he was pushing himself up off the seat becasue his butt was getting all wet and he didn't know why?

That's a scary photo with that fuel coming out! that could have been disaster for many people!
    Bob Stack, Hartland, WI

Liked: 8

Default Sunday qualifying

You guys run pretty damn close - fun to watch...
    here's a good angle of video of your qualifying train on Sunday morning (sorry to screw up your pace! couldnt get it restarted for a few seconds...)

(fast forward to 1:20ish)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RT6E2BqSZI

good times!
    ---------
    Mike Green
    Piper DF2 FF

Default Illegal

"PS: Any comments about roll bar to helmet height?"

Yes---it's as illegal as not putting on your fuel cap. Didn't they test this on the FST's?

Default Video - Race 1

Ok

Here is the video from Race 1. Camera angle gets a little 'artistic' after a few trips across the ripple strips.

http://vimeo.com/13718600

Will get Sunday Qualifying and Race 2 posted soon.

Rob

I made it to about 18 minutes and can't get it to go any further

Good stuff, good stuff. Per Dave Dawson, Carl seems to be marking his territory in T-5 quite well. You can't watch that and say our races are boring!

Thanks Rob for posting the vid.
    Bill Bonow

Default That was fun!

Watching that brought my heart rate up....not as much as on Saturday!

Doug FST 5

Thanks Bill

Let me know if anyone else had issues viewing, couple of people have got through whole video - I am trying a new service (Vimeo) as YouTube won't let you load anything over 10mins.....

Rob

Default Sorry For

The oil slick my car was laying down in 5, 6 & 8. I had a cut valve cover gasket that was caused by being hit by a piece of debris, it hit hard enough to put a ding in the cylinder head .

Also for driving Bonow off course going into 5, I had no Idea he was there, sorry Bill . That was the most fun I have ever had in a race, even to come up just short 2nd.

Thanks for posting the video Rob.
    Carl Middelegge
    2007 Evolution MK 1.3 FST

Liked: 50

Great vid. Got through all 28 minutes of it. Stop hitting those rumble sticks with my car..

Jim
    Jim
    859-252-2349 or
    859-339-7425
    http://www.sracing.com

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information