Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Liked: 0

Default Ford Racing Formula Ford 1.6 L Kent Block Update

Hello Formula Ford racers and enthusiasts. Just wanted to give you an update on the progress of the Ford Racing 1.6 Liter Kent block.

Later this summer, Ford Racing Performance Parts will offer Formula Ford racers a new and improved version of the legendary 'Kent' 1.6-liter engine block. The block, part number M-6010-16K, will be available through any Ford Racing Performance Parts dealer.

With vintage Kent blocks now retired or "mileaged-out," Ford Racing assigned engineer Mose Nowland to work with a Ford casting foundry to produce a new engine block.

"The block is an exact reproduction of the original Kent block casting with minor design improvements for added strength and durability," said Nowland. "The new bock will accept all of the original required bearings, plugs, dowels and fasteners. We also plan on offering finished cam bearings with the purchase of a block."

This cast iron block will be offered in the standard 8.200" deck height with extra material for decking. The cylinder bores will be semi-finished to 3.187" diameter to allow the engine to be built to desired clearances.

The Kent block design improvements include:

• Block cast from 40,000 PSI grey iron
    • Lower clutch housing bolt bosses reinforced
    • Select areas around main bearing webs strengthened
    • Center main will accept upper and lower crankshaft thrust bearing inserts
    • Optional 2.0 liter block, Part # M-6010-20K, with 7.750" deck height and 3.225" cylinder bore will also be available

Ford Racing is targeting a mid-August 2010 release date on the new Formula Ford Kent block. For more information or a list of FRPP dealers, visit www.fordracingparts.com or contact 1-800-367-3788.
    Last edited by FordRacingParts; 07.09.10 at 3:08 PM.

Contributing Member John Merriman's Avatar
    Liked: 58

Default New Kent Block

Fabulous !

Liked: 23

w00t w00t!
    ------------------
    'Stay Hungry'
    JK 1964-1996 #25

Classifieds Super License Joefisherff's Avatar
    Liked: 103

Default Price?

Has a price been set? I did not see a listing in the parts catalog as of yet.

Default Good news

This is great news.

This takes a major cloud of uncertainty away from running a Kent in FF.

MSRP for the new 1.6 Liter Kent block is $1,299.00.

Liked: 211

won't these improvement to the block make orginal blocks obsolete, making this a must have item?

Classifieds Super License John Robinson II's Avatar
    Liked: 136

Great news. Will this block have to undergo scrutiny from the scca powers to see if the improvements have added to the hp output?

John

Liked: 309

Quote Originally Posted by FordRacingParts View Post

• Optional 2.0 liter block, Part # M-6010-20K, with 7.750" deck height and 3.225" cylinder bore will also be available

Is there any truth to the rumor that the lifter bores have been enlarged?
    Stan Clayton
    Stohr Cars

Liked: 77

Quote Originally Posted by John Robinson II View Post
    Great news. Will this block have to undergo scrutiny from the scca powers to see if the improvements have added to the hp output?

John
    Yes. Jay Ivey is going to build one as soon as the block is available and do dyno testing.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Stan Clayton View Post
    Is there any truth to the rumor that the lifter bores have been enlarged?
    No. That "rumor" started because of an error in communication by someone at Ford who was referring to the Cortina, not the Kent. The new block is not different from the Kent.

Dave

Banned
    Liked: 1116

Quote Originally Posted by FordRacingParts View Post
    "The block is an exact reproduction of the original Kent block casting with minor design improvements for added strength and durability," said Nowland.

<snip>

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Gomberg View Post
    The new block is not different from the Kent.
    Apparently it is different.

Amherst, New York but i left my heart in San Francisco
    Liked: 291

Default cool foundry fresh images

sounds like the two liter block is the way to go LOL

Liked: 487

Not quite as different as the Honda, Daryl!
    Roland Johnson
    San Diego, Ca

Quote Originally Posted by Quickshoe View Post
    Apparently it is different.
    Daryl:
    I was addressing Stan's question about the lifter bores - nothing else.

Dave

Liked: 1426

Very cool.

So, how about Ford pony up some contingency cash. Hey, Honda does it. Yup, I went there.

Liked: 924

Glad to hear fresh blocks will finally be available.
    “Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty.” -Peter Egan

Liked: 3

I guess maybe a bit of a carry over from the other thread.

As we sit here trying to determine which chassis to buy and run, it is nice to see the new block as it helps the integrity of Formula F.

My question is the performance gap that may develop as more Hondas come on line in the next year of two.

The fuel injection has the ability to be a game changer versus the Kent no matter what block is used.

Into and out of corners could be quicker with fuel injection.

There are two ways to skin this cat. Dial back the Hondas via restrictor plates or change the Kent. (A new Kent block with throttle body injection???)

What are the thoughts (if any) beyond restrictor plates to address this?

We would love to buy a slightly aged FF and put the new Kent block in it but not if we are disadvantaged everytime we start the engine.

Thanks for all of the help, we are just trying to make intelligent decisions.

Amherst, New York but i left my heart in San Francisco
    Liked: 291

Default no choice

basically there is now one class (FF) with five engines:

cortina, kent, fiesta, honda, and now the "new kent"

breifly ponder that list and ask yourself which one is going to be the winner in 2011 and beyond

the writing is on the wall and the blue oval is done

Liked: 551

*IF* you are a conspiracy believing type person (and think the SCCA does not like Ford), then maybe the rules will be changed someday to make the Kent less powerful than the Honda. Today that certainly isn't true, so it will need a rules change.

The competitiveness of the Ford against the Honda is pretty much entirely in the SCCA's hands. If they do a good job, all FF engines will be competitive. If they want to punish Ford for whatever reason, and the membership allows it to happen, well I guess Fords might be less competitive in that (unlikely) scenario.

Regarding FI vs carbs, I could almost believe EFI could have a very slight advantage in corner exit transition, but I doubt it. I think the front running drivers and engine builders have probably eliminated any stumbles when a Kent driver mashes the gas.

EFI having an advantage going into a corner? I'd love to hear an explanation of how that happens.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 86

If either through lack of strength or availability the original Kent blocks were a fusible link limiting the engine's ultimate potential, this new block opens the door for engine builders to turn it up to 11. If you thought Kent engine prices were crazy before, you ain't seen nothin' yet!

The exact same thing happened in A Sedan when alternate OEM race blocks were allowed, especially the Fords. Dimensionally they were the same as stock and while there were no specific significant power enhancing features, the additional strength and durability opened the door to turning up the wick significantly on RPM. Sure, you could run a stock 5.0L block to 7500 rpm--for a weekend or two--and there were guys with the budget to do it. Now with the approval of the FRPP Boss block and others, an 8000-plus-rpm engine will last a whole season with standard refreshing. Same thing will now happen with the Kent.

And the stock-block guys cringing at the thought of their next rebuild bill will just fall further behind the guys with the budgets for the latest and greatest.
    Last edited by Matt King; 07.10.10 at 10:58 AM.
    Matt King
    FV19 Citation XTC-41
    CenDiv-Milwaukee
    KEEP THE KINK!

[FONT=Verdana][FONT=Verdana]
    Quote Originally Posted by dfrazer View Post
    The fuel injection has the ability to be a game changer versus the Kent no matter what block is used. Into and out of corners could be quicker with fuel injection.
    [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana]Nonsense.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana]
    Quote Originally Posted by provamo View Post
    the writing is on the wall and the blue oval is done
    [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana]
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt King View Post
    If either through lack of strength or availability the original Kent blocks were a fusible link limiting the engine's ultimate potential, this new block opens the door for engine builders to turn it up to 11. If you thought Kent engine prices were crazy before, you ain't seen nothin' yet!
    [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana]The internet, a wealth of valuable information.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana]Ford obviously listened to the builders when they made this new block as it addresses most of the issues I have had with Kent blocks in recent years. Cracks down in the main bearing web, broken ears near the bell housing, etc. Anyone that thinks this block will add HP to a FF build doesn’t have the slightest idea how the top Kent engines are put together or for that matter the parameters for getting the most out of one.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana]This announcement is great news for everyone on the FF community.[/FONT][/FONT]

Contributing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Steele View Post
    [ Anyone that thinks this block will add HP to a FF build doesn’t have the slightest idea how the top Kent engines are put together or for that matter the parameters for getting the most out of one.[/FONT][/COLOR]
    Ha, where have I heard that before!!! Are you a bridge salesman by any chance?? Let me guess, forged pistons, forged cranks, and aluminum heads didn't add HP either, right??!!

BTW, I'm not suggesting the block is going to be good for anything like 5 or 10 hp or something ridiculous like that. It might be good for 1 or 2 or even a fraction of that, but the point is that the availability of a superior part like this will inexorably continue the march of separation in performance between the Best and the Rest. In the end, it probably won't change the game much in terms of competition, but it will help to ensure that those who currently have the ability to acquire the best engines will stay a step ahead, and it will be just be one more significant cost for those who hope to reach the front. But I can guarantee it will embolden anyone who perceived block strength was in any way limiting the development of their engine program, and only time will tell what enhancements it may bring. It's naive to think any differently.

I'd also like to suggest that anyone who thinks that a stiffer block won't in and of itself enhance HP should do a little research into the subject of cylinder wall distortion and its effect on ring seal.
    Last edited by Matt King; 07.10.10 at 11:33 AM.
    Matt King
    FV19 Citation XTC-41
    CenDiv-Milwaukee
    KEEP THE KINK!

Ha, where have I heard that before!!! Are you a bridge salesman by any chance?? Let me guess, forged pistons, forged cranks, and aluminum heads didn't add HP either, right??!!

BTW, I'm not suggesting the block is going to be good for anything like 5 or 10 hp or something ridiculous like that. It might be good for 1 or 2 or even a fraction of that, but the point is that the availability of a superior part like this will inexorably continue the march of separation in performance between the Best and the Rest. In the end, it probably won't change the game much in terms of competition, but it will help to ensure that those who currently have the ability to acquire the best engines will stay a step ahead, and it will be just be one more significant cost for those who hope to reach the front. But I can guarantee it will embolden anyone who perceived block strength was in any way limiting the development of their engine program, and only time will tell what enhancements it may bring. It's naive to think any differently.

I'd also like to suggest that anyone who thinks that a stiffer block won't in and of itself enhance HP should do a little research into the subject of cylinder wall distortion and its effect on ring seal.
    Matt,

Let me address each of your points.

The forged pistons, new crank give no HP advantage at all. They DO provide a great deal of added longevity and reduce the cost of running a Kent. I will grant you that the AL head can provide more power than a run of the mill iron head, but that is because the best iron heads were casting flukes. Thus only a handfull of them existed. The AL head actually leveled the playing field (albiet for a price $2500). But then, anyone worried about a one time $2500 capital investment in their program is not running up front anyway. there is a guy out here, who like me, has been running FF a long time. Over the years he has acquired at great expense a number of past runoff's winning iron heads. He hated the AL head idea. When he asks his builder if he should switch to an AL head his builder says, "NO, I can't beat your best iron head". The AL head leveled the playing field for everyone else.

I have been around FF for longer than I care to admit and the power that makes a winning Kent is largely in the head and cam. Sure the way the rings work can make a little difference but the kind of HP gaps that exist on CURRENT all Kent grids today make these kinds of concerns groundless.

In a recent rebuild I had to replace a block for cracks in the main bearing web. These blocks are tired. The new improved blocks will last longer and be more reliable over the original and they will be less expensive to put into service than the current, rarer than hen's teeth version.

The new block will be just one more step for the reliability profile of the Kent. That is a good thing for everyone in the class, regardless if you are running a Kent or a Fit.

If either through lack of strength or availability the original Kent blocks were a fusible link limiting the engine's ultimate potential, this new block opens the door for engine builders to turn it up to 11.
    Generations of Formula Atlantic drivers might like to have a word about that. After all, they ran the very same Kent FF block as the foundation of 240+ hp engines revving to 10,000 RPM. It's nice to see Ford strengthen the new blocks a bit (why retain known flaws?), but if they could last just as long at twice the hp, I have to think the block was not the cause of builders failing to get all they could from the package.

But that said, what is your point here, Matt?
    Stan Clayton
    Stohr Cars

Contributing Member

But that said, what is your point here, Matt?
    I made a few points above, but I will reiterate the last one about cylinder stiffness and ring seal. With an enhanced block perhaps those FA engines could have made 250+ at 11K rpm. Better is better and the best builders will find a way to exploit it (I guess this is my "real" point.)
    Matt King
    FV19 Citation XTC-41
    CenDiv-Milwaukee
    KEEP THE KINK!

Liked: 1426

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Steele View Post
    But then, anyone worried about a one time $2500 capital investment in their program is not running up front anyway.
    we disagree on one point.

For the record, I have a steel head. Just because it is new and costs a lot does not mean it is better. Reminds me of a friend of mine with a rather bottomless pocket book that thought the new lightweight starter he got would make him faster, not just $500 lighter. I went to a parts store and got one off a '93 3.0 Ranger last month for $86! Score!

The block is new, and that's about it. The parts inside limit what they make for power, cam, compression, head, etc... Right?

I think there are a few differences between a Kent and an AS engine. By listening to McDermid's Mustang scream down the straights, I would think they are a bit more stressed than the tractor-sounding Kent behind me. Just saying.

Better is better and the best builders will find a way to exploit it (I guess this is my "real" point.)
    You say that like there's something bad about it...
    Stan Clayton
    Stohr Cars

Contributing Member

You say that like there's something bad about it...
    Not at all, but it does usually lead to unintended consequences of the sort some people seem to think this development is immune to.
    Matt King
    FV19 Citation XTC-41
    CenDiv-Milwaukee
    KEEP THE KINK!

Liked: 27

Quote Originally Posted by RussMcB View Post

Regarding FI vs carbs, I could almost believe EFI could have a very slight advantage in corner exit transition, but I doubt it. I think the front running drivers and engine builders have probably eliminated any stumbles when a Kent driver mashes the gas.

EFI having an advantage going into a corner? I'd love to hear an explanation of how that happens.
    Read some of the the last year's articles in Circle Track looking at Carb vs EFI testing.... Given peak HP is the same and power curve similar (EFI is better) EFI has a major advantage on the track. Now these are for V8's with a lot more displacement and power... but it still applies.
    John H.
    Reynard 88SF

Contributing Member

I have personal experience road racing a V-8 Mustang before and after the conversion from a carb to EFI with no other engine changes. The EFI setup made within 1 hp peak of the carb, but destroyed it in the mid-range torque curve to the tune of more than 40 lb-ft (this was a Ford 5.0L making about 230RWHP and 300lb-ft) and that was worth a huge amount of time on the track. But I think if you truly had equal HP and torque curves between the two configurations, I wouldn't put much weight on the throttle response argument. In other words, if the development work with the Fit ultimately produces evenly matched power curves, I don't think the EFI itself will prove to be much of a performance advantage. One big advantage to an ECU is the ability to alter fuel and spark curves to adjust specific points in both power curves, which makes equalizing the curves easier than if you are limited to mechanical spark timing and a carb.
    Matt King
    FV19 Citation XTC-41
    CenDiv-Milwaukee
    KEEP THE KINK!

Classifieds Super License John Robinson II's Avatar
    Liked: 136

There is a major difference between the kent and the honda acceleration coming out of a corner... with a kent you mash the pedal and it accelerates, with the honda you mash the pedal and tries to accelerate.
    THe reaction time between the two is irrelevantly small if any. A well tuned weber has no stumble in the rpm range we race in. If yours does, then you need to talk to the builder or change gears because you are lugging the hell out of it.

I dont think the new block will produce any more hp, I would bet the farm that it will maintain that hp longer.

John

Banned
    Liked: 1116

Quote Originally Posted by John Robinson II View Post
    I dont think the new block will produce any more hp, I would bet the farm that it will maintain that hp longer.
    ...and that is a performance advantage. It might actually make a little more power when it is installed as a stressed member of the chassis and is now subjected to cornering loads.

Quote Originally Posted by Roland V. Johnson View Post
    Not quite as different as the Honda, Daryl!
    What does the two blocks being different have to do with the Honda? I never claimed the Honda was similar to the Kent (new or old).

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Gomberg View Post
    Daryl:
    I was addressing Stan's question about the lifter bores - nothing else.
    Gotcha.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 8

Default Blocks

I'm glad that Ford is going to deliver on the promise for new blocks! It will help FF, especially those who "shell" an engine but have some surviving components. It doesn't do anything, however, to lower the cost of a new Ford 1600 prepped engine. I did a quick bill of materials, and it's way over $7,000. Add in some labor, and we're talking between $10K and $14K.

Block $1,300
    Head $2,500
    Crank $ 800
    Rods $ 600
    Pistons $ 600
    Pan $ 400
    Cam $ 300
    Intake $ 200
    Dizzy $ 400
    Carb $ 400
    Oil pump $ 600

Pushrods, valves, springs, lifters, bearings, misc.

$ 500 (more likely to be $1,000)

Larry Oliver
    International Racing Products
    Larry Oliver

Liked: 586

cool - a block

i think everyone who has any sort of history with Formula Ford over the past many decades should throw out their shoulder trying to give themselves a pat on the back.......owner, driver, renter, builder, prep shop owner, sanctioner, steward, worker, fabricator, mechanic, tire or other parts manufacturer, general fellow traveler and road race track junkie..........

imagine a group of dedicated people so happy with their choice of car that it not only persists for all these years but eventually the original engine supplier gets it too.

we should all be so very glad

Liked: 924

Out of production bits are expensive to manufacture. There just isn't the economy of scale to cast, strip, clean, inspect, machine, and inspect a few thousand blocks a year. There is lots of setup time at each step in the process. I know how much stuff like this costs to make in small quantities. Its not out of line.

Same with all the other pieces we need to build a motor.

I was quoted a slightly higher price for a used, resleeved and prepped used block from a pro builder three years ago and be prepared to wait several weeks until the cores came in so he could pick out a useable one and refurbish it for me.

I really appreciate what Jay has done with the folks at Ford Motorsport to bring this in.

Regards,
    Dan Wise
    “Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty.” -Peter Egan

Liked: 1

Yes this is great news! I want one NOW....

Liked: 1

I must admit, I did not think that this would happen, but it must be remembered, Ford will sell a vast number of these blocks, the market for them is world wide, I just hope they keep up the supply once they get going. I still think that going to the fit engine was move in the right direction, and given this kick in the pants, Ford has come to the party instead of talking about it, its good to see, they now have to remember the rest of the world and let us know where we can get these blocks in our respective countries, the local Ford Dealer? or what, if anybody knows please post here.

Roger

Liked: 43

Roger

Per the Ford Racing Performance Parts website, there is one dealer in Australia, and one here.

STA PARTS (SEGEDIN TRUCK & AUTO PARTS LTD)53 ANDREW BAXTER DR P.O. BOX 107041
    AIRPORT OAKS, Auckland
    Ph: 011-649-256-1120
    Fx: 011-649-256-1122

Liked: 5

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Welsh View Post
    Roger

Per the Ford Racing Performance Parts website, there is one dealer in Australia, and one here.

STA PARTS (SEGEDIN TRUCK & AUTO PARTS LTD)53 ANDREW BAXTER DR P.O. BOX 107041
    AIRPORT OAKS, Auckland
    Ph: 011-649-256-1120
    Fx: 011-649-256-1122

You might also check with your local Ford Industrial supplier as these blocks primarily are sold into that market, might even be a better price!
    Thom
    Back to fenders=SRF

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information