Liked: 0

Default Interested in F1000

Recently, I stumbled acrossed information regarding the F1000 division. Actually, I was looking for information regarding the DSR cars and I went to Stohr's website. I became interested in DSR after watching the Runoffs on SPEED a few years ago. I thought the DSR's were cool cars, but I have anyways been an open wheel snob.

At that time our team was running a 600 micro sprint. Essentially, a micro sprint is a scaled down sprint car with a motorcycle engine. We competed on dirt ovals of an 1/5 to 1/2 mile. Our lap times were often faster than the V8 stock cars that raced on the same tracks, and within a second of some full sprint car classes.

The in-line 4 sport bike motorcycle engine has proven to be a relatively inexpensive and reliable powerplant. We could often run a full season on a single engine, but when you blew an engine we could afford to buy spare. Currently, we are racing a dirt midget and a new engine can cost $30K+.

However, I want to know whether there are any measures being put in place to contain costs in F1000? Especially concerning engines. We were one of the pioneering teams in the 600 micro sprint division in our region. There were nights only three to five cars showed up in our division. By the time we left the division our "local" track was pulling in close to 40 cars per race.

I believe our engine rules fueled the early growth of the division. The rules were simple. The engine had to be stock off the bike. We had to use two year old engines (i.e. For the '10 season we had to use '08 or later). This was prior to EFI so we could replace the stock carbs with flatslide carb, and we had to convert to methanol. Our division had a few fires, and after a young female driver was burned gasoline was banned nationally.

Unfortunately, as the division grew more car builders, engine builders, parts suppliers, sanctions and tracks got involved. Everyone had a better mousetrap, and the rule book grew. Today, a 600 micro engine can cost around $10K for an engine with all the bells and whistles. The handwriting was on the wall and we left the division.

Please excuse my ignorance, but I'm curious where the F1000 division is headed. I have checked the various threads on this forum, but I haven't seen any definitive direction. I believe the F1000 division has great potential, but I have seen several comments regarding cost. Is that concern isolated, or is it a real issue?

Finally, my last question concerns safety. Has there been any discussion regarding slowing the cars down? You guys are flying. I don't think a composite tub is the answer. They're too costly, and that move could kill the division. Are the tube frames up to the job? I apologize for being so long.

Erik
    Last edited by erikblue10; 05.23.10 at 11:10 AM.

Liked: 273

Erik
    First off welcome to Apexspeed....and to the F1000 class.

I also raced 600 Multi Sprints and Midgets here in California. Clear back in the mid 90's we were spending upwards of $8k for a Honda F2 motor with mechanical fuel injection. We flogged those motors hard and they easily lasted a season running on Alcohol.

The F1000 class rules allow ZERO modification to the engine other than oiling system, and replacing the cam chain tensioner to mechanical (both done for reliabilty reasons). The class is still pretty new but since we are a full Runoffs Class this year I believe we will see tear downs being done at the Runoffs. It's my opinion that all the competitors are running legal motors.

As for the safety of these cars I currently feel confident that the tube frames will hold up in a hard impact. When we designed our frame it was validated for safety thru several interations of FEA to optimize tube size and location. I'm sure other builders have done the same.

Gary Hickman
    Edge FB #76

Liked: 0

Gary,

Thanks for the reply. I remember those old mechanical fuel injection days. A couple guys back here tried it, but it was eventually banned.

Oiling system modifications make sense. Especially with the Gs you guys are generating in the corners. When we ran micros we often used modified pans with baffles. I'm surprised no one developed a dry sump system for us. We also went with a mechanical cam chain tensioner.

In terms of safety a tube frame should suffice. There are plenty of divisions with tubular frames. However, I have noticed more divisions appear to be going to carbon fiber.

I guess I asked the questions I did because the class is relatively new. I wanted to see if the class is experiencing any growing pains. I'm sure launching a new division in this economy doesn't help. Good luck this season guys. Perahps I'll get to a race this summer.

Thread Information